“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, October 21, 2013

Fixed Position, or "Bugging In."

I was "talking" with Rob about sharpening knives recently.  The conversation touched on something I've been giving a lot of thought to lately.  I have a supply of field gear, but I'm never going to use it. When Rob asked me the best method to sharpen knives  I wasn't sure.  I bought my knife sharpeners years ago, and didn't know if something better had been invented since.  I'm not the guy below.  If I lived in a city, I might have to try to be, but given the fact that both my wife and myself are in our sixties, I doubt it would work out very well.  We would probably wind up being killed off by younger people, or gobbled up by cannibals. Neither scenario encourages me to plan a bug out, and where would I go? 




My feeling is that I have the "retreat" scenario pretty well in hand.  There's always room for improvement, but overall after decades of working on it,  I'm in good shape.  I've got the right remote location,  hard to find and defensible. It has water, wood, and wild game. I have a place to grow food it I can ever get up off my hind quarters and make a serious effort at it.  My supply situation is adequate,  I have enough room and enough structures to handle an increased population here if others of my choosing need to use this as their bug out location.

The little cartoon above is making fun of the "shelter in place " crowd,  but it actually sums up my position pretty well. As long as I can stay here, I'm in good shape.

One reason I don't worry much about bugging out is that short of a forest fire, there's just nothing that could blow me out of here.  I admit if the fire comes I'm well and truly scuppered.  That's my S.O.O.L. weakness, (S**t out of luck.)  But I wonder , realistically, what are the chances of there being a collapse and drought at the same time here? Our forest is too wet to burn most of the time in a normal year.  

I've never been partial to the idea of going on the road in a collapse.  This documentary (or docu-drama, more properly) reinforced that aversion considerably.  Of course, these folks weren't prepared when they fled L.A. but it was a very grim story.



The real deal killer for me on bugging out was "The Road." Cormack McCarthy pretty much ruined any chance that existed of me going trekking out of here. That is a truly horrifying book, all the more so because there's not a lot you can point to in the book or movie and say "ah, that would never happen."  Some of the scenes are so horrific that I never watched the movie with my wife, but the one that had the most visceral impact on me was played by Robert Duval.  That's not going to be me.  I'm not going on the Road.



14 comments:

  1. Harry thanks for the reply. I knew you, Stephen, Duke and maybe Pioneer Preppy would be the ones to ask questions too. I have so many questions and sometime I just forget to ask. Books are good reference points, but having someone who has experience is also a real help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some people who know this drill pretty well. Not all of them are old guys. These days not all of them are guys when it comes down to it. Jamie and Ryan come to mind as fairly savvy younger people. I learn a lot myself through people I've known awhile on the net.

      Delete
  2. Rob, buddy - you have many good friends that you listed above that can answer any of your questions. add Senior Chief and Matt and Max to that list. and don't forget the women either - like sweet Sandy and Jane of Virginia. and me and pirate jambaloney are always here too!

    Harry - when we first started thinking about S hitting the fan - we knew we had to get out of the city. we knew we wanted to bug in, just like you. i think you made a good choice in picking your property and then spending 30yrs beefing up your security, your road, your preps and fire power. i think that you are in a good location to bug in.

    i think that we are in a pretty good location as well to bug in. we have a small, solid community that will help each other, a bunch of fishermen for food, all of whom can hunt and do regularly, so they are all very familiar with a .22, and lots of community spirit. and just about everyone is related to each other. me and jam have brought the one thing that this community stopped doing about 45yrs ago - growing food and saving seed. the elders love talking to us about when their parents grew and preserved their own food and we love talking to them. but the people our age (40's), they really don't know anything about growing food. i would say all in all, our community could survive a total collapse. i really think that we could.

    another great post Harry. keep 'em coming eh? there's lots of folks out there that know a lot, or a little, or somewhere in between...and there's some who know nothing. these kinds of posts can help all of them. including us and we appreciate it!

    much love to you and yours! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber,the fact that you have your interactive and mutually supportive community is a big advantage over my situation. The remoteness of your location is even greater than mine. You and J have worked really hard and built yourselves a nice home. I can't think of anything that could force you out of that location either.

      Delete
  3. Ya I agree with you Harry I am not budging. If they try and move me I will take as many with me as I can and make sure my son has the map to the cache sites. Let him try the refugee route if we are forced out I will buy him some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only the goblins could run you off and I'm thinking you are too far out in the country for them. The Feds can control people in the city or suburbia but there aren't enough of them to run people in the countryside around on a leash. But whatever happens it's got to go better on your own ground than it would as a hopeless refugee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. remember drones. and some of them are armed. i read where a very remote cabin got a visit from the census bureau. he had been spotted by a drone. this story may be apocryphal but patrice lewis had one fly over her when she was weeding (rural revolution blog) .
      i am sure that the Enemy has his minions much better prepared this time around. maybe the devil will succeed this time and it really will be armageddon!
      deb harvey


      Delete
    2. deb harvey again. the feds will also have a stranglehold on the medicine supply and 'health care' in general. if you have a sick child you may find yourself caving in to them.

      Delete
    3. Deb, I expect if it comes to that, the Feds will need their drones for more than messing with an obnoxious old guy who writes mean letters to politicians and says bad things about the government. Not that I wouldn't like to matter, but I don't flatter myself . The government can't even get a web page to work for their enforced health care program, so I doubt they can ferret me out to be honest. Even if they do, they can do their worst. I don't worry much about it.

      Delete
  5. I have a few friends from two different places that hand makes knives. It can be a real art form.

    I always sharpen my X-acto knife blades. I just add a little oil to a sharpening stone to sharpen them.

    Sorry I haven't commented back in a few days. We went out of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've been busy. I appreciate your coming by when you can.

      Delete
  6. Harry, weren't you there for this?

    http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2013/10/30th-anniversary-of-iranian-bombing-of-the-marine-barracks-beirut-lebanon-.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I got lucky. On Oct 23 1983, I'd left Beirut the previous Thursday on the U.S.S. Puget Sound. She was going back to Naples and my Chief of Staff let me catch a ride back from Beirut to see my wife. That Sunday morning I was home at my place on the beach and didn't know it had happened until I turned on the radio to AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television Service). When I was ashore I worked in the building that went up, as well as a special comm van directly behind it and sometimes on the Puget Sound or the New Jersey. Long time ago. I always spend Oct. 23 somewhere quiet. I'm surprised you mentioned it, because nobody else remembers it ever happened. They don't even give it a passing mention on the news anymore. They used to at least do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they forget this day and the 8th of November as well..... They don't teach this stuff at school. I never knew about Nov.8 until I heard about in the song. Sad

      http://youtu.be/ozpdBvB0hek

      Delete