“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Just in case...


Things are becoming so nonsensical that eventualities which seemed impossible a week ago don't appear so fanciful  now.  If the people in Washington don't find some way to pay the "entitlements" that many individuals in this country subsist entirely upon, stand by for heavy rolls.

I was just a kid during the race riots of the 1960's, but I remember the impact it had on the country.  Those could be reproduced on a major scale unless some kind of deal gets cut by the greasy pols in D.C.  I try to avoid being an alarmist, and I'm still not predicting Armageddon.  However, if you need to take some precautions, now would be the time.  After all, you need not buy anything you can't use later, and a little prior planning in terms of getting out of a city if need be won't hurt anyone.

I realize that I'm sitting on a mountain top, in the middle of a vast forest.  I've been getting "ready" for thirty plus years and even if I look down from a particular peak on the mountain towards the city,and see the fires at night on the horizon, odds are I'll emerge unscathed.  If you live in a city or suburb though, you might think about where you'll go if you have to get out. I'd decide now at what point I was going to hit the road.   I've already contacted my kids and told them to use my Visa card to get all this done. I also told them that if they plan on bringing anyone with them if there are riots, they need to make sure everybody is included in the plan on leaving. The same holds true as a general rule. If you have to haul granny along, don't wait til you're packed to figure out how you are going to do it.

I think right now I'd top off my vehicles, and keep them that way.  If I needed extra fuel to reach my destination, I'd be sure to buy it now. Put the cans out back on the porch or whatever, but don't wait til you need them.  Cash in hand is good.  A few hundred in cash is a good idea. If you don't need it, you can put it back in the bank later. If you do need it, people may not be taking plastic along the road when you need to buy something.

I seriously doubt I would consider sheltering in place.  But if that's what you have to do, you need a lot of water and food, as well as all the ancillary stuff like toilet paper, your medicine, candles, pet food, etc. Don't forget the city water system will quit if the power goes out, so you have to be able to flush using jugs or have some other plan for disposing of waste. A few 5 gallon Jerry cans of water on the back porch or balcony could save your bacon. If you have more than one tub in the house, I'd start keeping it full. If you have a tub and a shower, fill the tub and use the shower.

It would be advisable to have a good radio and plenty of batteries. If you don't have a gun, it's late in the day but anybody can use a shotgun if you have a modicum of common sense. I sure wouldn't be inside with a baseball bat if I had a wife and kids in the house with me. If you think I'm being melodramatic here, take a look at some videos of the L.A. riots and see if you still think so.

I expect that everybody who comes by this blog knows the drill and I am preaching to the choir. So this isn't meant to be all inclusive. It's just that it's probably time to get your act together, if you haven't already. There may be a few people who are new to the mind set, and this is primarily for them.  I know most of you will be aware I'm not trying to teach Granny to suck eggs. I just think things are getting out of hand in Washington.

Again, I still expect some deal to keep the lid on things. That won't solve our problems but this particular posting is just concerned with "what happens if the checks don't go in the mail."  I have a pretty good idea what will happen and you don't want to be anywhere near a major city if a cut in the dole comes to pass.


21 comments:

  1. It wasn't too long ago, just a few days before the Labor Day weekend, that due to construction and the threat of a massive rock-slide closed a major thoroughfare that the wife's primary and secondary route home was blocked.

    She was glad that we had previously worked out a 3rd way home for her.

    I can certainly see how more than 2 routes might come in handy if you needed to get out of Dodge in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those navigator things people keep in their cars would help if you had to reroute. The problem with them is that the computer doesn't know what parts of the city you need to stay out of. I don't want to sound like I'm being ugly, but people who live in the city and haven't done any planning would probably be doing well at this point to find one way out. Depending on how long we have til the lid blows off. If the government comes up with the green to pay the money, then nothing will happen. But events in Louisiana this past weekend don't inspire confidence. Walmart is saying they were just being good guys letting people walk out of the stores with eight shopping carts worth of goods that Walmart will never get paid for. I think Walmart realized they could give up the goods and maintain some order, or they could just get their stores looted and lose everything.

      If I were sitting in a city right now, having done nothing prior to this point, I would certainly try to come up with three ways out of the place. The main thing is not to wait. If people wait for the riots to start they've missed the boat. You can look at the old videos of the L.A. Riots and see the mob pulling people out of their cars to see what the result of being on the street once it starts is.

      Delete
  2. The joy of living 2 miles from work and still being on the fringe. Having a SBR is nice, you can break it down and put it into a messenger bag and hang it on the back of your chair at work. Since we work together, if we had to walk home it's through some of the most desirable to live in areas, but it's still prudent to be cautious.

    Fun indeed!

    The deal will be reached, smiles will be had, hands will be shook. Then everyone can rack up more debt for the holidays and start all over again in 75 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max, that would be my preferred solution. I know it's no solution to the major problems that are making us a third world country, but the last thing I need is riots in the cities when my kids live in one. So to a certain extent I'm pulled both ways. I'd like the see the Republicans stand fast, but not to the extent that it gets to be like Mad Max out there.

      Delete
    2. But I'm always mad max.... I agree, I'm also torn. I think we all know what needs to happen for people to wake up and realize it's not a game, but I'm also worried about what will happen at that time. I feel fortunate that we have no children, my head would burst from the worry of what it's going to be like in 2,5,10 years.

      Delete
    3. I'm hoping that the wife and I are gone before things blow up but as you say,there's still my kids.

      Delete
    4. Doesnt even necessariily need to be SBR....my Uzi and my 12 ga. M12 both fit in my everyday backpack (although not at the same time).

      Pics: http://commanderzero.com/blog/2012/03/06/its-in-the-bag/

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Based largely on my concerns about the urban locations of my kids, I confess.

      Delete
  4. I'm stealing the meme. I guess that if I was going to look on the silver lining about the entitled rioting is that they probably won't be as well armed. It will still suck, don't get me wrong,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina and the L.A. riots tend to leave me with the impression that what rioters may lack in firepower they more than make up for in ferocity, numbers, and utter ruthlessness. If I did live in a city and that broke out I'd leg it to some safer local.

      Delete
  5. Harry I agree with most everything you said except the Sheltering in place. I think it's better to shelter in place than becoming a refugee. Now if a person has a place to go that's a little different otherwise I would get to know your neighbors, who you can trust and not trust as well as being familiar with the enviroment. Them friendly country folks won't be all that friendly if the SHTF

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you live in a good location, as we both do,then I see no advantage,and considerable disadvantage to trying to relocate. I have no bug out plan as a result. But I think that those who live in the city or suburbia would find their position untenable in short order due to infrastructure failure and the breakdown of order. I was vague on that and should have been more specific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya if you shelter in place inside a built up area within a few days you will have an encounter as groups begin going door to door just to get the good stuff left behind. It may not be a huge encounter at first but small bands of criminals will start immediately as soon as most people begin evacuating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two things stick in my mind on this subject. One is the history channel show "After Armageddon" where the protagonists tried to stay in their suburban house. That effort ended badly.

      The other is something I have read a lot about because it's both relevant to preparedness and fascinating in it's own right. Katrina was a perfect lab quality experiment in a collapse on a mini scale. People who tried to stay in their homes not only had to deal with lack of food and water, and looters. They had to deal with law enforcement coming around and confiscating their means of defense, running them out of their homes, and sometimes beating them up and arresting them.

      Delete
  8. Our best bet here would be to stay put. I just wish we had a generatOr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only problem with a generator is the things are so noisy they tell people for miles around where you are.

    You're in a good spot. I figure you have to have somewhere better to go to make bugging out viable. My only problem is that if there is a big fire, I could get burned out and for that I have no plans, no caches, nothing. It's as if thinking about it is too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harry, Ferfal survived in Buenas Arias for 10 years after the Economic collapse in 2001. You can check out his blog Surviving in Argentina. He was ready to move and got out about 2 years ago moving to Northern Ireland.

    Lisa I would look at solar energy. It's amazing what you can do with a small setup and a little bit of knowledge. Lots of people used an inverter and car battery/car as a generator during Sandy. Solar cost a bit more upfront but you won't have to buy any fuel or oil for your solar generator. Heck most of those car battery jumper packs have a small inverter in them now a days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    2. I remember when that guy started his blog. Didn't he eventually write a book?

      Delete
  11. Commadner Zero, you have an Uzi? I wish I did. I had a chance to buy one in the late eighties, and I didn't. I see the guy who did , he runs a two truck service and is in the gun club. He always reminds me that I screwed up.

    ReplyDelete