“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nice day

Today looks like a very pleasant one.  Yesterday was cloudy and dank, but it's warm outside this afternoon, with a light breeze blowing.  The picture above is the WalMart parking lot just as the sun was coming up. They have ammunition but they have raised their prices 3 to 4 dollars a box since last week, so I did not buy any. I can load my own cheaper than they are selling it now.


In a little while I am going to go do some gold panning.  With all the rain we've had in the last month, there's no telling what has washed down out of the mountains.  If nothing else, I'll get out of the house for awhile without having to do a lot of driving.

The dogs need their morning walk.  If I don't take them they'll go by themselves and there's no telling what they will get into.


I plan on going over to the little lake and walking on the trail there this afternoon.  Shouldn't be anybody there on a Wednesday, which suits me.


All in all, this should be a good day.   I don't have to do anything I don't want to do. 

10 comments:

  1. I would love to pan for Gold. Hope you found something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never find much of anything, but it's fun.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Mom, I think a day in the fresh air panning would be great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually only spend an hour or so at it unless I drive somewhere. There's a big creek down at the foot of the mountain and that's where I usually go. Panning is hard on the knees and legs even if you have a little stool. It's fun, though.

      Delete
  3. I want to let you know that I regularly read your posts and find your book reviews insightful. I also appreciated your post about Lebanon and had wondered how close you had been to that moment in time.
    As for gold panning, there was a story on the local news here, maybe 2 years ago, where 2 fellas were walking on a piece of mountain property owned by 1 of them. They came across a structure under the water of a stream like two parallel rails. Turns out they were part of a gold sluicing operation of some type. The owner intended to bring it back to operation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sluicing is illegal in my state now. But that doesn't mean people aren't doing it. If you canoe down some of the rivers, you'll come up on big pipes going out into the river bed and then back up the bank into the forest. That's people sluicing. It's kind of like moon shining or pot growing. The best thing to do is just keep on canoeing and forget about it. The Gold Prospectors Association of America (hope I got all that right) hires lobbyists to try to keep sluicing legal but I don't think they have had much luck.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Not bad for a six year old $64.00 camera I got at Walmart I guess. It's easy to use, that's the main thing.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't know what real gold looks like fresh out of a stream. I would prolly get some fools gold and then suffer some kind a mild depression. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you got a big nugget of fools gold it would still be nice. And if you are panning for dust, you wouldn't get fools gold most likely.

      Delete