“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, October 4, 2013

On Oct 4, 2013 absolutely nothing happened here.

 There is the possibility that the remnants of a tropical storm / hurricane will reach here Sunday. That means I have a few things to do before then but none of it is particularly interesting.

Most of what has to be done comes after the storm passes.  So I'll get both chain saws out today and run them.  I'll check the gas cans that have the fuel and oil mix for the saws and make sure that they're at least 3/4 full.

I'll go ahead and run the generator for thirty minutes or so with an artificial load on it.

I don't have to do the regular scurrying around at the grocery store routine that people do here, but I'll probably ride into town and fill the truck up.

Other than those routine things, we are all set to go. Right now the storm track is so vague this may all be nothing more than a good dry run. But, if it comes through here with a lot of wind and rain it could be quite inconvenient for awhile.


For lack of anything better to do after dark, I spent quite awhile cleaning rifles last night.  Not detailed cleaning, just wiping them down with a silicon cloth and running a patch through the bores. They are just sitting in racks so they don't really get dirty. I keep the humidity down so rust isn't an issue. It's just a matter really of keeping the dust off them and keeping the wood from getting too dry.

When I finish this I'll take the dogs and walk down the mountain to the mailbox. I have a couple of letters I need to send to the kids, and it isn't as arduous a trek when the humidity is low and the temperature is in the sixties as it is now.

Then I'll come back and start on the things I need to get done today. So, there's not much to tell but the truth is most days here are like that. They just flow along without any variation from routine.

16 comments:

  1. I hope the storm just passes by with rain, at lest you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even rain can be a pain if there is too much of it too soon. Maybe it will give us a miss, they still don't seem to have a very good idea where it is going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't get hit but if you do I am sure you will be fine.

    I don't know about you but I find myself talking myself out of buying a firearm more often than not because I don't have time to clean it properly along with all the others. That phase for me seemed to come right after the "No new Calibers" phase :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to so I don't do a lot of detail cleaning now. Mainly I don't buy new guns because I don't know what the future holds for us here. I might be living some place with no room for the ones I already have.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a nice day even if the reason for doing the stuff sucks. I started a little pre-storm checklist that I do every time the weatherman starts using the "Frowny Face/Concern Voice".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have figured you'd do that. You've got a very reasoned and methodical approach to your planning. I've lived here so long and been through so many of these that now it has become second nature to me. Yes, it was a nice day now that I think of it.

      Delete
  5. At least you are far enough inland the storm should downgrade a lot if you get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duke, our infrastructure is so primitive and our capacity to restore power and clear the roads is so limited that a lot of rain and wind can really shut this county down. I just hope it either misses us, or burns itself out before reaching us, as you say.

      Delete
  6. Sounds to me like you had a pleasant day. I too need to run my generator, maybe tomorrow. We can expect wind and rain by Sunday. Should make for a nice nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire that sucker up and let her run for half an hour. Time well spent. I hope you don't get hit too hard. Glad to see you got rid of the headache.

      Delete
  7. I am so much farther west, that I doubt we get much even in the way of rain. But, your generator talk got me to thinking I should start mine since it has been two years since it was started. I don't know how to start it and even when I knew was not strong enough. But, what is this artificial load of which you speak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chances are it may not start if its been that long. The gasoline goes bad and clogs it up if it is left in the generator.

      I hope I'm wrong becsuse it is an expensive repair very often.

      Delete
    2. The generator is full of gas and Stabil. It started a year after I bought it and used it. So, maybe it is still working. The guy I bought it from told me to keep it full of gas and Stabil or pay $200 to have the gas tank fixed. What do you think? It was very expensive--Honda that cost $1000+ all the cords I had to buy to run it. I had a rough day that day, shopping in stores with no electricity or cc machines going, no electricity in the whole city.

      Delete
  8. I had to run my generator for a day or so due to a power outage. I hadn't run it for a couple of years - a mistake. Still, to start it, I needed starting fluid due to cold temperature, even when I had just shut it down for only 15 minutes or so. So now a fresh can of starting fluid (spray) is being added to the preps pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My generator is diesel, so I can use the same starting fluid for it that I use in my truck. I always have plenty of that around, starting a diesel when the temp is near zero is virtually impossible without it.

      Delete
  9. Hi Harry, look for the movie Blackout on YouTube. It's not real but it's good ☺

    Sounds like your ready for the storm. Take care

    ReplyDelete