“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, October 10, 2013

There are a lot more people out in the ether who are worried.

I have been reading emails this morning.  There are a lot of people I've met on the internet who don't have blogs. They feel like it's just too big a risk these days.  There are also people who have blogs but keep them low key, and don't do any serious talking "in public."  I can understand that.  Blogging is fraught with peril, on a number of different levels.  You have to deal with trolls, you may entangle yourself with seriously bad individuals who can cause you all sorts of problems. There's always the possibility that something you say will get you into trouble with the government. You have to take that into consideration now that just thinking something they define as a crime can get you arrested. The days of actually having to take steps to put an activity into place before they could come after you are long gone now.

People still want to talk over the things that concern them, though.  I know email isn't secure, and I know that NSA reads it, but I do get a lot of email from people who never comment.  The proportion of people who comment on my blog to those that read it is actually very small.

I learn a lot from the people who write.  You can  build up a good picture of how things are going  in different parts of the country (and the world) from the letters.  I think it's a fairly representative picture, because people from all walks of life, varying educational levels, and different rungs on the economic ladder all touch base from time to time.  I don't get a lot of political views, for the most part people are discussing their own situations and how things are where they live.

I know some people will think that I'm only conversing with other survivalist / preppers and that colors the equation. But not so.  I make a big effort to read blogs and make contacts with people who have absolutely nothing to do with either movement.  For one thing, it's nice to just read about what their kids are doing in school, or where they went on vacation.  When I leave a comment on one of those blogs, I frequently get visits from other readers there, and that's how I make new friends and contacts who are not specifically oriented towards survivalism.  Of course, a lot of people go to my blog and are horrified and I never hear from them. But some are open minded enough to start a dialogue.

The point of all this, is that I know the anxiety levels are much higher than you would think just driving around your town, or watching the reassuring nonsense spouted by the talking heads on the evening news.  The economic situation is worse by far than we're being told.  Some folks who are not of the self sufficient mind set are starting to do small things to take care of themselves.  Those that have been trying to be self sufficient for awhile, seem to be redoubling their efforts. It makes me feel better to know that people are quietly trying to control their own future rather than just slavishly relying on someone else to take care of them.  The someone else, i.e. government, has done such a terrible job that thinking people don't believe in it , or trust it, anymore. Not just in this country, but all around the world.

So, whatever is going to happen, and I think the process is well advanced right now,  there will be people who exercised some foresight and took steps to secure their own futures.  That's an encouraging idea, at least for me. Who was it that said " better to light a single candle than curse the darkness."  Lots of candles being lit out there right now.

27 comments:

  1. "Lots of candles being lit out there right now." Let's hope it turns into a tidal wave. Fine piece of writing, my good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, I do think a lot higher percentage of the population is at least making an effort now. Some of them are really lost at sea, but they are trying.

      Delete
  2. There are also the 'faux' bloggers - I've encountered a few in the few years I've been blogging. They start some blog and the entire thing is a hoax. Eventually they tend to be exposed, but it's really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, what is a faux blog? I gather from the term it is people pretending to be someone else, is that right? I wonder what the point would be. Blogging is a lot of work, takes a lot of time, and I would think a person would want it to mean something, accomplish something to justify all that. But there are strange people out there, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it sad that we are being silenced because we fear our goverment. Hard to know who to talk to. Cell phones everywhere taking pics, not to mention being watched by hidden cameras everywhere. This is not the country or world I grew up in, for sure. Our candles are lit. We are prepared. We are lucky to live in a part of the rural country where most have the same mindset. Many candles here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a time for open expression of personal views, that's certainly true. You are absolutely correct about the non existence of any personal privacy, as well. Rural areas are infinitely safer than urban sites for a number of reasons. Some relate to the different types of infrastructure, but I think the most important thing is that rural life still encourages independence , while urban life forces people into hivist society, even if against their will.

      Delete
  5. Which of us knew how spot on George Orwell would be - well before his time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orwell has been one of my favorite authors for years, and his ability to spot trends in human society was amazing. I first read 1984 in high school, in the late 1960's. It was a good book but I could not imagine it would ever have relevance in our lives. I've learned over the years how wrong I was.

      Delete
  6. I love reading preparedness blogs. For a while it seemed that every person with a keyboard was putting one out, but the blogscape these days looks like a Detroit neighborhood full of dark houses with broken windows - there are a lot of preparedness blogs that are still out there, like ghost ships, that haven't been updated in years. It's disappointing because some of them were quite entertaining, informative and promising.

    I've only found a few blogs that are exclusively about preparedness and that consistently update. Not to blow smoke up anyone's fundament, but my wife and I were terribly disappointed when you pulled the previous incarnation of your blog because, from a blogging perspective, you were an extreme rarity - someone who was really 'living it as they talked it', backed it up with pictures, posted regularly, and was thoughtful and articulate....a very rare combination. Personal preparedness blogs that I follow could probably be counted on one hand...there just arent that many good ones out there.
    I also travel outside our little circle and wind up commenting on blogs that are about things other than preparedness. Sometimes it leads to new viewers, but mostly its just a good mind-expanding practice...its always good to get other views and perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got more on my plate about that time than I could handle, primarily with health considerations. I hate doing anything half way, and it just seemed better to shut the thing down. At the time I didn't anticipate doing any more blogging, but I have been glad to be back in the community after that long hiatus.

    I think it's important to read non survivalist blogs, and communicate with people who are not thinking that way, because they constitute the vast majority of citizens . Their blogs act as a barometer for me. When people who are not associated with self sufficiency start taking action to become more independent, that means the tremors in the society are increasing. Right now, I can't remember seeing the anxiety level so high. Granted much of it in the U.S. is due to the political situation in D.C. right now, but that fiasco itself is based on issues that are not "fixable" at this point.

    It's like the old Chinese curse , "May you live in interesting times."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know thats a three part curse, right? May you live in interesting times, may you get everything you want, and may you come to the attention of important people.

      Delete
    2. I had never heard the last two parts, but I certainly see they are relevant in our time. I'll have to remember the whole thing the next time I want to curse someone. :-)

      Delete
  8. Good point and observations. I had a girl just the other day mention how much she hates the government and she had never seemed to have a political bone in her body before.

    Many people are being touched now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, and personally. When it impacts your own life, it ceases to be background noise and becomes of immediate importance. I think D.C. has become so blatantly manipulative that even people who are not normally very politically aware are repulsed. The disarray and stupidity also makes people realize the government may not be able to keep things just "going along" and that's a real shock to a lot of people.

      Delete
  9. A wise posting my friend. I find that blogs can tell a person's story or opinion of life with attracting to much attention from Big Brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I figure they can't throw everyone under the jail house. There are just too many people out there speaking their mind for the Alphabet Agencies to shut them all up. Of course, it may be very unpleasant for the people they do get in their clutches.

      Delete
  10. Harry - you know how much we both appreciate your posts - your posts both past and present, on this blog or your previous blog. Harry - i think you are like PioneerP and Russell, they both have this innate ability to look at a variety of things, that most of us might miss, and see signs. you are exactly like that. there are some blogs that i read because they have been homesteading for 500 years and know everything about everything, there are some blogs that i read because they are radical and political. my favourite blogs to read are the ones where someone can share their knowledge, experience, mistakes and what they would have done differently and how their lives are right now - in the middle of this mess that could be coming tomorrow or 5 or 50 years from now. we have learned much from you and are glad that you are back online.you have much to teach. and that is the only reason that a master breathes, yes? to teach.

    thank you for all of these insightful posts, sharing your prepping/survivalism experiences and your ideas about...well, just about anything. your job is to teach, monsieur.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kymber. There are a lot of good blogs out there, written by some pretty knowledgeable people, and I get a lot from them. One of the things I really enjoy about yours is how you and your husband just chug right on along, day by day, and get things done. You seem to enjoy life so much, and that's uplifting for all your readers.

      Delete
  11. Good points, and the stress is about to get worse for many folks. Today I had to call Health and Welfare regarding a student I work with, and the phone message said that those who are on food stamps will have little to none come November. Granted, some folks legitimately need them, but imagine your neighborhoods if these hordes are looking for food? Scary to contemplate, but at least i'm prepared for it.--Troy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Troy, you're right. A lot of folks do need those and without them they won't have anything to eat. I know the common conception of food stamp recipients is that of some obese person sitting on a couch watching tv and eating chips. I don't doubt there's a lot of that. But up here in the mountains, there are many elderly people and small families that are dependent on the church and on food stamps for meals. They aren't lazy people, or bad people, they just never had the opportunities so many of the rest of us had. In urban environments, where welfare and food stamps are more of a generational pass down thing, there could be some severe issues if the dole stops. Certain segments of the population like nothing better than a chance to feel put upon so they can go out and burn down their own neighborhoods and loot their own stores. Fortunately for me, I'm well away from those danger zones. I feel sorry for the people within reach of that kind of disturbance if the food stamps stop. Once I would have said the government would never let that happen, because the Democrats depend on the votes of that segment of society. Now I think the government is so messed up it's not rational or capable of making decisions based on pragmatism. Nothing would surprise me now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Harry,
    You might be surprised at the bloggers who have fluff blogs who are really prepping and have more of a survivalist mindset than they allow to surface.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I appreciate the fact that you are relaxed as you are, it does tend to rub off on people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course he's relaxed...he lives at his bugout location yearround, has all his food, ammo, and gear ready, and never has to leave his mountain. The rest of us are just trying to catch up to him.

      Delete
    2. I'm trying to enjoy my "golden years." I'm due a little tranquility at this point in my life. :-)

      Delete
  15. Interesting, I'll be sure to add some more everyday life type stuff. Every day with little ones is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy hearing about what people are doing. I think couples with kids are a lot more active in the "go and do" department because they are trying to give their children what my mother always called "enriching experiences." Once you get to be my age, you don't like to travel far from home. For us now it's mostly go to a movie, or go up to the flea market, or the lake, something like that.

      Delete