“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Sunday, October 20, 2013

three thirty in the morning.

It's a perfect night for radio.  Very cold outside, so the skip is working great on the CB in upper side band.  I've been listening to people from the mid west. I'm not talking tonight, just listening.  Did some short wave DX for a bit too,  and had good results for the same reason. Cold clear nights are excellent for radio reception.

However, the blogosphere is silent. Of the 30 something blogs I read every day, only about five of them have been updated since Friday.  I would imagine that's because most of those people are doing things with family rather than fiddling around with the computer.

Fall is here with a vengeance.  It's getting down near freezing now at night, and next Wednesday the Weather Channel assures me we will be below freezing.  That means the start of winter time burdens like starting vehicles.  I will have a choice with my truck. Either I can leave the engine heater plugged  in constantly, or I can use ether to start it when I need it.   I need to put a new battery in the Cherokee,  and my daughter just put a new one in her Commander.  That cost $200.00,  because that big engine needs a lot of cranking power.

We are running the propane heater in the main house, and electric oil heaters in the other three buildings.  I don't worry about keeping them much above sixty but the house has to stay around 68 because the ferrets get cold below that.   I'll be running humidifiers before long because the winter air here has so little moisture in it that it doesn't register on my gauges.

Still, you can't beat winter nights.   I was out on the porch of the  apartment earlier this evening,  having just turned on the heater in there.  I could hear the coyotes howling off down by the creek.  It fits, somehow.   I'd much rather listen to that than traffic noises or peoples loud music.

Well, time to turn in.  I plan to be up early Sunday morning and the sun comes up around seven thirty.

14 comments:

  1. Updating has been tough lately, it seems like there is just no time between work, chores and I'm trying to finish a quilt for a Christmas gift , then for me there is Bird. She has decided-- no demanded--to be a lap chicken. I don't know if it's because it is cooler in the house now that Fall has officially arrived or she is just spoiled. Probably a bit of both, but anyway, it's hard to do something with a chicken on your lap! Glad you were enjoying the night radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relish the "Adventures of Bird" stories. My daughter used to bring injured chicks into the house and raise them til they could function outside. So I am familiar with the trials and travails of special needs chickens. Bird has a lot of personality. I was going to say she would be a perfect Halloween decoration but she might read the comment and be hurt. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love winter nights - crisp, cold and clear - far more so than the summer nights here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, good to hear from you. I hope the Alpaca couple are doing well there on the farm. I saw some Alpacas (or maybe they were llamas, I can't really tell them apart) in a field the other day and I thought about you folks over there. Winter is nice because there's no humidity. The heat and humidity can do you in here in the summers.

      Delete
  3. You nailed it, I'm spending time in Texas with family. Two birthdays this weekend, and a long drive home tonight. At least I'll get to see the milky way on the drive home..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it was either everybody was busy, or everybody was just worn out with blogging. It's kind of boring when nobody is posting anything. But I can understand that there's a lot going on for family people.

      Delete
  4. Harry,

    You're always a good read. I don't agree with some of your thinking, but you're honest, pragmatic, and down-to-earth. Besides, where else can I read another blogger that posts at 3 am, Thanks for you efforts.

    A damn Yankee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody ever agrees with everything anybody else says. If they did, it would sure be a boring world. Between my radios and the fact that I like doing things at night, I'm up a good bit .

      Don't feel badly about being a Yankee. It's a birth defect and not your fault .
      :-)

      Delete
  5. What kind of antennae do you have set up for the CB and SW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CB is on an external whip I bought at Radio Shack when I lived in Emerald Isle, N.C. circa 1985. .

      My shortwave sets vary. The little hand helds all came with a long wire antenna but I just use the telescoping antennas on the sets. My big Bear Cat is on a long wire field expedient antenna straight out of the Marine Corps field manual. I even used plastic spoons for insulators, just like the book says. I could have done something that looked better but I guess it has nostalgia value to me. Besides, it works, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

      Delete
  6. We are enjoying our first fall in 7 years. Even with the heat on we have a window cracked open. (We have no control over the heat). Cold fresh air is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your apartment get forced air from a setting somebody did in the main office? I think that's how my son's heat works.

      Delete
    2. Its hot water radiant heating system. We can make it hotter, but not cooler below a cretin temp. Its been getting better. I'm not sure how they set it. We are in a town home. I had relatives who lived in an old apartment in South Minneapolis. They had steam heat we would go there for a visit and it would get so warm, they would open the door to the hallway and a window to cool it down, in the middle of winter.

      Delete
    3. When I lived in Europe all I ever saw was steam radiators. They work fine, and I can remember having to crack the window at the officers quarters in Oberamagau, Germany because it got too hot even though there was snow mounded up outside. I felt guilty because the Germans are so frugal and dont' waste anything, but it was just too hot and there was no way to turn down the heat.

      Delete