“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Waking up to the New Reality.

 Although I've been a Republican all my voting life,  I've never been a big adherent of the party.  It's too riven with self seeking, influence peddling mediocrities. I've supported the conservative part of the party though, and voted Republican, often while holding my nose.

I think the Republican party is now largely finished as a political force. It's the gilded New Age of Ascendency for the Democrats. Obama can bask in the sun.

Illegal immigrants who come to this country overwhelmingly vote Democrat. They shouldn't be voting at all, but in my state, every attempt we've made to require proof of legal residency has been overturned by the Department of Justice (how's that for an ironic name?)  Hispanics and blacks vote Democrat virtually as a block.  Poor people usually vote Democrat, and they'd be crazy not to.  While Republicans spend time trying to make people who get unemployment work as unpaid janitors in the schools, the Democrats pass laws handing out largesse. Why would a poor person vote for a party that despises and denigrates them?  The demographics are changing in the country. As the ethnic makeup moves sharply towards "people of color" the democrats get stronger. It's not a coincidence that Democrats favor amnesty for illegals and massive immigration because it strengthens their voter base.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy.”
Elmer T Peterson


Then there's the "rice bowl" factor.  Every person has to reconcile their political beliefs with reality. It's entirely possible that an individual might be a conservative thinker, but need the income from what are essentially Democratic programs.  For instance, lots of people would like to cut social security. I've paid into it for forty working years or more, and I'm not about to say "oh, yes, let's do away with or attenuate social security because we need to do that."  No. I paid into it and I want my money out of it.  Don't break my rice bowl.  People on disability need their checks and if they have to decide between receiving their money under Democratic programs or seeing it cut by the Republicans, which do you think the average mortal would choose? A huge percentage of the population is tied into government programs of one sort or the other, and they aren't going to just give that up because we have to do something about the deficit.

 “The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
Thomas Jefferson


Now the Republican party has developed a schism between hard liners who want to fix the inherent problems in our system, come hell or high water and the mark one mod five mealy mouthed politicians who just want to make it to the end of their terms and let it all be someone else's problem. I think the Republicans have had it.

Time to get out your Obama buttons, I guess.


24 comments:

  1. I wish we had more parties to choose from. We have two. The rest is more of a laughing stalk. People think you are throwing your vote away when you vote for someone who is independent.

    Really the bottom line comes to money. Who can get the backings?

    John Edwards presented himself as a kind southern gentleman. He was the most corrupt of them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very proud of my Southern heritage, but I'd be the first to admit that many of our politicians and local political systems are utterly corrupt. Have you ever read "All the Kings Men" by Robert Penn Warren? It's still that way down here.

      I think we only have one political party now, and that's the Democrats. They broke the back of the Republican Party this week.

      Delete
  2. After "o" won the latest Nov popularity contest I quit cold turkey on any kind of Political news AND discussion for at least 4 months. If someone @ work started a conversation about anything political Id leave the room. I quit listening to talk radio, everything. After awhile I started slipping, listened to radio & talked some, just not like before.
    But NOW, now its time, for me at least, to watch politics like I do athe weather report. I cant influence it, whatever happens happens, no need to get upset about it, just need to prepare & hope for the best.
    Alot of the time when some

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've put into words something I've tried to express before and could never quite get it right. I listen to the news so I know what's going on, and can prepare for it. Not because I get any vicarious pleasure out of the nauseating events happening in this country. As you say, "prepare and hope for the best." I think some of your comment got cut off?

      Delete
  3. I am surprised at anyone who is surprised at last night's vote or the fact that the RINO's caved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say more unnerved and apprehensive than surprised, at least in my case. What comes now?

      Delete
    2. A steady decline until we reach the event horizon. Some event will take place and then things will suddenly suck at an exponential rate.

      Delete
    3. Succinctly put , and I think, accurate.

      Delete
  4. To finish my thought (fat fingers & phone keyboards lol;)
    Alot of the time when something happens that brings jesse jackson & his bunch out ppl talk about race baiters & hucksters, among other names. Theyre just showing up to consolidate their own fiefdoms and raise some more $ off their ignorant followers.
    Ive come to see MOST of our conservative radio people, columinists and pols as the exact same thing. Politics baiters, stiring up their fiefdoms and selling their emotional snake oil to willing ignorants. Im very tired of being ignorant and stirred up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to talk radio because we have a good station here in the mountains. I realize that these guys are making hay off it, but I do get some good news that I feel I need to know about. To tell the truth though, I'm about to the point where I feel I get more accurate news from Radio Beijing than I do from most American sources. CNN and MSNBC are so obviously mouth pieces for Democratic propaganda that I rarely have the stomach to watch them anymore.

      Delete
  5. Great post....keep your head down and your powder dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1

      sorry Harry, Meant to say that earlier.

      Delete
  6. Some days are diamonds, some days are stones. This last week has been a rock pile on the national level, but things here on the mountain are tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know our electoral college system keeps the 2 party system alive but I wish we had the popular vote sometimes. If one person failed to get 50% of the vote you would have a run off election. This would give a third party a real chance. The republican party today is much like the democrats in that they want big government just make it slower in happening.
    It's not really a question of if we will have an economic collapse it is just when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly after the one small group in the political system who would really have tried to fix it failed to retain the support of the Republican Party. Now the air waves are full of vilification of the tea party movement. I think that's the end of the ball game. Your final sentence in your comment sums it up.

      Delete
    2. i don't know if you watch the maclaughlin group but there is an idiot named eleanor clift on it. she said the tea party are anarchists and want to destroy the gov't!! this about the very people who are trying to save it!!
      no one on the panel even raised an eyebrow at the statement!
      maybe they all believe it, even pat buchanan.

      only God can save us, even though we don't deserve His help.
      'there is a tide in the affairs of men'. yes,indeed, there is and our tide is ebbing fast.
      pray as you prep.
      deb harvey

      Delete
    3. Deb, I didn't see that but I can well believe it. CNN and MSNBC in particular have been spewing invective against the Tea Party since all this started. Like Hitler said, tell a big enough lie and tell it often enough and most people will believe it.

      Delete
  8. This is a variant of a theme. The theme is solid but the variant puts it into a special case.

    We do not have a case where the people are voting themselves largess we have a case of 54% or so of the people voting themselves largess and the labor of that largess is aimed solely at the remaining 46%. As long as they can keep the numbers just beyond the tipping point they can drag the thing out much further than we would think possible.

    The type of control this takes is only possible with incredibly cheap energy surplus otherwise it would have collapsed by now of it's own weight and distance.

    In the end I am not worried about the famed dictatorship because never before have we seen this scenario play out that includes a large percentage of the population having multi-generational Constitutional freedoms. All the more reason to continue watering down the overall population with immigrants. If they can achieve a certain saturation rate they may get to that point eventually but I believe (Hope) it will all fall apart before then. To achieve that saturation percentage would upset their delicate producer v. welfare balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to the point where I'm beginning to agree with my brother. He has been saying for some time that the only institution left in the United States with any credibility is the military. How sad would I be if a modern day Vespasian seized D.C. and threw all those bombastic morons into prison? I don't know. It's beginning to sound more and more appealing. Can I say that on the internet? Guess I'll find out.

      Delete
  9. I firmly believe the antiquated Electoral college needs to be abolished, and it is time for a third party.
    I don't think SS needs to go, but I do believe as most that lots of entitlements to those receiving welfare does need to go. Welfare should only be given when a person is out of work, they should be allowed to get the benefits for a year, if you have not found work withen that year then no more benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with getting rid of the electoral college. But it wouldn't save us. The Blue Staters are more numerous and more of them are flooding across the border every day.

      In theory I agree that the social safety net needs to be revamped. But, if we start cutting off the welfare moms with 18 kids, it's the kids who go hungry and I personally wouldn't be able to give those orders. I've seen that stuff overseas and I wouldn't ever want to see it here. I don't have any answers to it.

      Delete
  10. Deb, I saw your comment in my email but it did not post here on the blog. You are welcome to repost it if you want. No one who comes here will scream at you for saying what you think. They may disagree but they'll be nice about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I reposted it from the email.


    Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Waking up to the New Reality.":

    i was a social worker, so don't start screamin' at me, please.
    tell those women, and follow through, we'll give you food stamps, a welfare check and medical card 'til death do us part if you have a tubal ligation.
    some of those girls come from terrible backgrounds and many are desperate. i don't want them hungry or whoring. i'm pretty sure this might cut down on illegitimacy. some would have a baby anyway because they truly want someone to love.
    deb harvey

    ReplyDelete