“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

2nd day of the storm.

The wind has been blowing hard all day, with really cold outside temperatures. The thermometer on the porch is reading 22 degrees just at dusk, but I have no idea what the wind chill adjusted temperature is.

We got a lot of sleet, but not a great deal of snow to speak of.  When you walk around outside, the sleet cracks and pops. It's slippery so the only things I've done outside today were essential chores that have to be done every day, regardless of the weather.


The air is so dry that even with two steam humidifiers going, I'm boiling a big pot of water on the gas range. It's still only about 48% in here, and the ferrets need 55% so tomorrow I plan on going and buying another humidifier. We've never had trouble before with keeping a comfortable humidity level, this air must be very dry even for a winter here in the mountains.

No power failures, so we are quite comfortable inside.  The rain has stopped so I don't have to worry about any of the diversion ditches, gutters, etc. Nothing to do except relax, since I'm running the propane heat and not fooling with the fireplace or wood stove this time around.


So far, this hasn't been all that bad, but I guess a tree could fall on the house in the next five minutes so until the storm is gone I'll hold off pronouncing it a nonevent.

14 comments:

  1. When we have a real snow I'll post some pictures. Then it really is like something out of a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry - we were expecting high winds of 100kms an hour (60 miles/p/h) but we haven't gotten it yet....so far, a little windy but the house isn't shaking so we are ok. as for humidity - we are the same - i woke up from my nap this afternoon and my nose is dead dry - nothing a little coconut oil can't fix. as for the ferrets - try putting several bowls of water in their room - the water will evaporate on dry days and add moisture to the room.

    stay safe and dry my friend! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that arctic air. No moisture in it. That's hard on people as well as ferrets. The wind has slacked off, so maybe the worst is over here.

      Delete
  3. We have had the same. The wind blew down my Apple tree. It has been here for years. I'm so bummed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about your apple tree. That's a tough tree to replace, takes awhile for a new planting to produce.

      Delete
  4. Ah, the "coolness" of those scenes is very welcome - we're experiencing 30 - 35oC at the moment and the heat makes me fold.

    I'm of the group that believes t'is easier to get warm when the weather is cold than it is to cool down when the weather is hot.

    We're a dissatisfied species, aren't we - never happy with what we have...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Dani. I might fuss about the cold but summers are much harder to get through. Ours have been hotter and wetter than usual the past few years and that just makes them worse.

      Delete
  5. Glad everything seems ok.

    It would appear that every time I prepare for bad weather that we don't get it. Still no snow. But tomorrow, 80mph winds and rain. So I will say clearly here that I am prepped for it! lol

    Yet my friend, in the summer if she buys sandals, it rains for weeks! lol

    Cold and dry here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she could make a good living here in drought years! I've seen some preachers pray up a storm during droughts, but they can't do it consistently.
      ;-)

      Delete
  6. Happy to hear there have been no major problems from the storm. Your air is really dry there. One thing about Scotland is it is nearly always raining and if not the air is still filled with moisture. I have to run a dehumidifier to keep our indoor humidity below 70% . In this climate and with no gas central heating the place would soon get damp and musty without it, despite the fires and stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreamer,
      In summer my air conditioning usually keeps the air dry enough, but in winter the air is so dry it won't register on my humidity gauge at all. We got a second humidifier and between the two of them we are getting the air inside worked up to about 50%. It needs to be 55% for the ferrets to be comfortable. Otherwise they start scratching and losing their hair!

      Delete
  7. Brrr that looks cold!

    Another hot one here today 100F. It does look like we might get some rain, so fingers crossed. But that will make it very humid then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania,
      It's hard on the joint if you have arthritis, which I do. So I try to stay inside as much as I can when it's like this. But there are chores everyday that have to be done ,regardless of the weather. 100 F is pretty brutal, I hope you get that rain, I expect the plants and animals there need it.

      Delete