“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

At least it isn't raining. Yet.

 The sun is just setting and it's plenty cold outside. I would guess around 42 and going down to the low thirties tonight.

There is not a sound in the forest. I just went out to feed the dogs.  No insect noises, no animal noises. Just dead silence. In summer the forest is a regular riot of noise, sometimes there's so much racket you can hardly sleep. When winter comes though, everything goes silent.  There should be a good moon tonight so in a bit I'll go out on the porch for awhile and enjoy the moonlight in the trees.


The propane truck will be coming Thursday.  One thing I always do is make sure the tank stays near full.  Since I heat with propane, cook with it,  heat water with it, and dry my clothes with it, I don't want to run short if ice or snow makes it impossible for the truck to get up the mountain.  If I ran out of propane I could get by, since I have backups to everything, but it wouldn't be as easy or as comfortable. These days easy and comfortable matter more than they used to.

 I noticed, while reading Survival Blog,  that Lisa Bedford's book  Survival Mom is on sale for just under four bucks if you have a Kindle or other Android system device.  If you watched the first season of Doomsday Preppers she was one of the more level headed people they featured.  Her web page:


This is pretty much a woman oriented web page as you might imagine,  but it doesn't necessarily just serve women who are following, or trying to learn, the self sufficient lifestyle. I think any woman, with or without kids, could pick up some useful information here.  So I thought I'd post this as an FYI (for your information) for the ladies.

I feel lousy. I don't know if it's from bronchitis or all the medicine I am taking.

Jet and Spike. No match for Ragnar the Terrible.
  I was sitting on the couch a few minutes ago, with one of my ever present frozen burritos. I fried this one in a frying pan, to add diversity to my diet.  I heard someone climbing up the back of the couch, and sure enough Jet the Ferret appeared.  He came over and started snuffling at the burrito. I told him he could have it.  The thing was half as big as he is, but he dragged it off the plate onto the floor with much effort. Unfortunately, all the huffing and puffing drew Ragner's attention, and he took away the burrito. About that time, Spike, who is Jet's brother, showed up.  There was much squealing and rolling around on the floor but in the end Ragner  was triumphant (he's twice the size of the younger ferrets) and dragged the burrito under the china cabinet.  They will all lick on it then forget it, and I'll give it to the dogs. I was grateful for a little entertainment, and I'm damned sick of frozen burritos.   I put out some hamburgers to thaw but I'm not hungry now so maybe I'll have them tomorrow.





12 comments:

  1. Everyone loves burritos around there! :) It does sound entertaining.

    By the way we don't have poisonous snakes around here. Just Garter Snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I have been bitten twice by Copperheads and I hated snakes even before that! I saw those big tall rush looking things your boy was by and I thought, watch out!

      Delete
  2. I never eat frozen burritos myself but my son eats about two packs of em a week so I am always buying them. He likes the chicken and rice ones the best.

    Isn't giving them the burrito kinda inviting them to dive bomb your plate every time you eat? I know with the Mrs. cats if I feed em anything they think it is an open invitation forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you remember the part in Ivanhoe, where the author is describing the hall of Cedric the Saxon. Cedric has a cudgel to keep off the other dogs in the hall but he lets an old favorite sit at the table and feeds him. I kind of feel like that with my ferrets. If they want something I am eating, I usually share it with them although for the most part, they just want to drag it under something and then lose interest. I know it's eccentric but I'm nothing if not that. Besides, I live up here by myself most of the time and they are my company.

      I like the picante burritos, but the chicken and rice isn't bad. There are about six different flavors now in the ones I buy. About 8 of them to pack, I think , for under $4.00. Mainly they are easy to fix, keep you from getting hungry, and not bad tasting but lately it's been too much of a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Is there a story to go with that cairn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a grave for one of my old dogs. I wish I had good tombstones for them like the old guy did in "Get Low", but in the greater scheme of things I doubt it matters.

      Delete
  4. I really need to give you some cooking lessons. Then again fresh food would probably block your system for days. Let's get together and we'll check schedules and spend a week in my kitchen. You need a vacation in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I'm usually all fired up for winter but this year I feel a bit worn. If it's a bad winter, with a lot of ice and snow, it may be challenging. I like good food, sometimes I look at all that food on Kymbers blog and I wonder how her husband stays trim, I'd look like Jabba the Hut by now if I had access to that kind of cuisine on a daily basis.

      My problem is that I can never leave here for long because I have so many animals and I don't want to be on the sky line by getting some local kid to come over here and feed them. People have a tendency to talk about what they see and I'd have somebody trying to break in here in no time.

      Delete
  5. Stephen - between the two of us - we have got to get Harry eating some good food! geesh Harry - i really wish you were closer! i would cook you up some good meals to freeze for the week and you'd be all set!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be a pest if I lived near you. Always showing up at lunch time and angling for an invite. I can make things in the crock pot, and I can fry things, but I fall down hard on making good salads and all. The only time I get a salad is if my wife makes it for me and that's pretty rare because she isn't here much.

      My mom used to do that. She would cook things on the weekend then freeze them and we'd have that for supper every evening when we all got home. She and my dad both worked, which was rare in those days.

      Delete
  6. Animals can be really good company and entertainment.
    Thankfully frozen burritos haven't made it into shops over here ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you don't know what you are missing, Dreamer. They come in little bags, and it's like a bag of frozen bricks. Then you microwave them if you are hungry because it's quick. They aren't really good for you because they have a lot of salt and fat in them, but there's no mess. I don't actually remember the last time that I made something that didn't come out of a package frozen, unless you count eggs. When my wife is home we make good meals in the crock pot and just eat whenever we want to, but she hasn't been home much lately between her job and her being sick.
      I'm not complaining though. After all the turmoil you've just worked through so bravely I'd look like a terrible wimp if I whined about my small potatoes issues. As I'm sure your husband would heartily agree, a man can't survive without a good woman right there with him. He and I both got lucky in that department.

      Delete