“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, November 4, 2013

It's worse than I thought.


I am writing this from notes I took while I was on the phone with Blue Cross.   I use this blog to keep track of things for myself, but maybe this will help someone else figure out their insurance problems as well.

Previous to the implementation of Obama's "Health Care" plan,  I had an HMO.  I paid a copay of $55.00 when I went to the doctor for my  lab work and check up every three months.  The HMO paid the $450 for the visit.

Under the HRA,  I won't pay a copayment when I go to the doctor now. I will pay the $450.00 for the lab work and check up, and I will pay the $55.00 as well but it won't be called a copayment, now it is just part of the bill. So I don't pay a copayment but now instead of $55.00 for the visit, my cost will be $505.00.

The lady at Blue Cross told me not to worry though, because after I have paid $10,000 in up front costs, this plan will pay 65% of any remaining costs in a one year period.  If that's her idea of good news, I'd hate to hear the bad news.

She was all fluttery about the state putting money in our account.  The web page said $400 a year, but in fact it is $200.00.   I told her that was a joke, it won't even pay half of my first 3 month doctor visit.

What it boils down to is that I have to pay $500 a month for no insurance.

Now, as to medicine.   My HMO paid for my medicine, usually all of it but I have two prescriptions that are over $100.00 each and I had to pay $20.00 for them.

This new plan will not pay for any of my medicine until the $10,000 out of pocket expense has been met. So I have in effect lost my insurance for my medicine.

The HMO paid for Emergency Room visits.  This is important because of my daughter. My new plan pays nothing for anything until we meet the 10,000 up front expense.

So, basically, my not so good HMO has been cancelled, and the new "plan" is no insurance at all. The HMO was a tremendous rip off with it's copayments, coinsurance, deductible and plan limits. But at least it paid something once in awhile for my huge premiums. This new "plan" is going to cost me Six Thousand dollars a year and as far as I can see, in an average year, it isn't going to pay one red cent in benefits. So where is my $6000 going to?




14 comments:

  1. Holy Cow Harry I am sorry to hear that.. it is just a mess every where. My neices employer told them all two weeks ago that Florida Blue was dropping them.. Now my neice is a paramedic and in the business of saving lives, only now she has no insurance..
    The impact that this is going to have on people with a fixed income like the elderly is going to crush them. I fear the death rate among the geriactric going up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was talking to the lady at Blue Cross, she started crying. She said she has a medical condition that requires expensive injections, and Blue Cross had changed them over from an HMO to something like the school district is dumping on us. She said once it goes into effect she won't be able to pay for her shots and she didn't know what she was going to do. She said God would see her through. I didn't tell her what Stalin said , that "God is on the side of the biggest battalions" and here that means the insurance companies.

      I think Obama wants everybody to suffer so he can nationalize health care. I hope he gets leprosy.

      Delete
    2. No what Obummer is trying to do is make sure everyone (except the select few) has the same low quality lousy healthcare as the worst inner city dump has but the White Middle class pays for it all.

      The ones who have never had insurance before will notice NOTHING different. We will have to pay more for less.

      Delete
    3. I'm going to be paying more for nothing. I can't see how I am ever going to pay $10,000 up front in one year unless I have a heart attack or get run over by a truck. So in a normal year, I'll be paying 12 X 500 = $6000.00 for this insurance plan that doesn't have one single, solitary thing going for it. Except that if I go to an "in network" doctor, I will get a little price break. Which is nice until you realize that there aren't any "in network" doctors here in this county. The closest place is that town on the other side of the mountain that is now Little Mexico. They have a medical center there, if you want to drive 120 miles round trip over the mountains to get to it.

      Delete
    4. Not only that but if you say screw it and don't get health coverage because you will never make the total you will get fined for not having it.

      They made sure you can't even go out of pocket. They want you to fund this nightmare one way or another.

      Delete
    5. Maybe I can infect myself with some disease that costs millions to treat, and then the Blue Cross SOB's would have to pay for it after I paid my $10,000. I'm about to the point where I would consider it just to hit back.

      Delete
  2. Everyone, except for Senators, will lose all of their wealth to the insurance and healthcare systems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not poor but I'm sure not rich, and if it is going to cost $500 for me to get my lab work and check up every three months, I'm just not going .Maybe I can stretch it to once every six months, but even if they will do that it's still $1000 for 2 doctor visits. I'm wondering what I will do if the doctor says she wont' renew my prescriptions if I don't come in every three months? I'm not going to pay her $2000 a year for the equivalent of an hour in her office, because she just sees me for 15 minutes a visit, if that. On the other hand, both my wife and I would be in an unfortunate situation without our medicine. In the end, I may be forced to just be a good little Stephen Fetchit and do what they are trying to herd me into doing.

      Delete
  3. So far 140,000 folks here in MN have lost their coverage, I think CA has around 900,000 who lost coverage. So very sad, so many people got screwed. Thanks Mr President and Congress. Remember pay back will be getting Congress voted out of office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, the whole system is rotten to the core, and nothing will get better until we do completely away with it and start over. That sounds improbable, but that's what King Louie and Czar Nicholas thought too. I may not see it in my life time, but there are states in this country who are seriously considering loosening the ties to the federal government and going their own way in some regards. As everyone's situation continues to deteriorate, more will think that way. As long as people are doing fine, they are ok with the status quo even if they know it's a bad one. But when it touches them personally, their minds are opened to other possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way too many folks just stick their heads in the sand. So many people are going to file bankruptcy the housing bubble burst in 2007 is going to seem like a kindergarten school play. I think this is what will bring down America. BO has an approval rating of 42% has any Pres had a rating that low??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bush W had a lower rating. In the teens if memory serves me correctly.

      Delete
    2. 3 times at 25% (http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/Presidential-Approval-Ratings-George-Bush.aspx)

      Memory did not serve me well.

      Delete
    3. I was never a big fan of G.W. because while I thought he was a decent person, he was too easily manipulated by those around him who weren't. His policy on immigration was a very bad one in my opinion, and there's no doubt he got us into the war in Iraq for all the wrong reasons, and with negative consequences. But the guy wasn't just pure evil. Obama is dishonest, a manipulator, a liar, and a person infatuated with himself.

      Delete