“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thursday Afternoon


The leaf season is over, and things are looking a bit bleak in the mountains. Once the leaves are gone, seems like everything is brown or grey.

It's still cold outside.  I did the necessary chores and came back inside. Since then I've been doing everything but what I need to do. There's a whole lot of paperwork I need to get through, but I've been stalling. I tried to watch one of the really terrible "made for tv" movies on the Science Fiction channel but had to give it up. The show was just too cheesy, even for me.

My next task is to fix lunch. I set out a pack of frozen burritos and that's going to be lunch. I don't feel like cleaning up pots and dishes today.

I haven't picked up the mail in two days, and I'm not going to pick it up today. Driving down the mountain and doing the gate is too big a pill, and it's too cold to walk. I thought I'd drive into town today, if only to have lunch somewhere, but I got up too late. There were coyotes last night, so my dogs kept me awake raising hell and I didn't get much sleep. That meant I slept in way too late today. I'm trying not to do that.
                                                                                                          
The next thing to come down the pike here will be snow.  If only just to get out, we'll be going to town when it snows. 


 The end result of that will be hauling stuff up the mountain on a sled. I have a big metal and wood "real sled" but this little cheap kids sled works fine if you just have a few packages from the grocery store.

If we are expecting a big snow, I park a couple of the vehicles down by the hard surface road. My trail down the mountain, and the forest service gravel road it connects to, are impassable in the snow because they are very steep. If the snow starts to melt during the day, then refreezes at night, you get ice and even four wheel drive won't hold you steady on a sloping surface covered with ice.


The first snow is usually just after Thanksgiving.  The Weather Channel says this will be a harder winter than we are used to, more like the winters we got here in the 1980's.  


If so, I'll have some better snow pictures to post than these.  This is considered a moderate snow. When we get a two or three day storm, the snow is much higher.  I suppose it's this really cold weather that has got me wondering if I have everything I need up here for this type of weather.  I should have, after all these years, but I am not infallible.



15 comments:

  1. I don't know if it is global warming. But something is changing here. The weather in the winter here has been snow each year. Up until I was 30 I had never seen snow here in England. It happened in land. I now live in land.

    I can cope with rain. all types of rain. Straight down buckets, horizontal rain, drizzle, mizzle (mist that when you walk in it makes dew on your clothes, I don't think I made that word up), huge drops, little drops. But the frozen stuff all soft and fluffy? Nope. I just cant cope. And no one here drives well in it.

    I have crampons now. I put them on over my boots, and off I go. My best ever buy

    I would love it if you shared some tips, that we wouldn't think about over here.

    Like 2 years ago we had lots of icicles. Maybe 3 feet long and quite thick.... should I have tried to snap them off...? Should you shovel and then salt or just keep shovelling. you see I am clue less where snow is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American Automobile Association has films teaching how to drive in winter. don't know if they are on internet, but may be. look up AAA and see.
      deb harvey

      Delete
  2. What about a snow mobile to go down and back??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too expensive, Rob. And there's also the fact that I have a tendency to crash things like that. I had a four wheeler and wound up giving it away after the second accident I had with it. I guess I just don't have the reflexes and sense of balance to run small, fast machines in challenging conditions.

      Delete
  3. Sol, it depends. I have rain gutters on my main building, so if the icicles start building up I usually knock them off. I shovel out a path to the barn and shop, then I put down cat litter over it. That gives me traction without having salt running off into my meadow, which is downslope from the house.

    I stay off the roads unless there's no ice in the snow, then I might drive into town or out on the forest service roads just to get out. If there's the slightest chance of there being ice, I stay off the roads. When we first moved up here, I foolishly went around a road closed sign on one of the passes because I had a four wheel drive jeep and I assumed I could just toodle on. I was completely wrong. Four wheel is useless on ice, and I scared myself , my wife and my little kids to death because it was a mountain road with a sheer drop on one side. I've had my share of bad headwork moments, including some interesting moments in aircraft, but I never did anything as stupid as that.

    If you drive where they've been salting, be sure and get your vehicle into a car wash as soon as the roads are clear and get the salt off the underside and wheel wells. Salt will eat a vehicle alive.

    I guess the best thing is to be all stocked up and just stay home inside as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go no where when it snows. When I see a storm predicted a few days out I make sure I have everything I need and after last Winter I now take and hide my wife's car keys. She refuses to listen to me and has like 3 years worth of vacation time and a job that no one is going to complain about her calling in even if it didn't snow. Yet without fail last year I am looking at huge storms coming in and showing her on the radar and she still got up and went to work before it got bad. Then without fail she is calling me a few hours later begging me to come get her. I had the four wheel drive truck gassed up and filled with firewood for weight but I never gave her a chance to do it a third time. I just took her keys and told her I was done with that foolishness. If it pissed her off she could leave me after the storm cleared and I would never have to drive 20 miles to rescue her again.

    She didn't argue one bit about it. In fact she seemed happy about the whole thing and stayed home and baked cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see this is the thing, it seems like common sense to add weight to the back of the car, but no one has ever said this to me. It just freaks me out. When you grow up with it, it is nothing. but I am not used to falling on my back side. I actually fell badly 2 years ago in the centre of the town. I knocked myself out, there were 8 people at the cash point/atm. Not one of them came to help me. The people that helped me up are the ones that give out the religious leaflets to the people getting off the train. Then my manager came around the corner, marched me to work and made one of the other ladies take me to A & E. I only needed 2 stitches. but still. that was the town centre, there should have been grit or something.

      So mental note, weight in the back of the car. Shovels for icicles and shovelling. cat litter. ok. well lets see what I can get this week ready.

      Delete
    2. Sol - Any weight helps but trucks are so light in the rear end they really really need the weight even in 4WD. Tires are your most important things when driving on snow though good tread is usually enough unless you are in really bad stuff then studded snow tires and/or chains are a plus.

      The number one best advice for driving on snow for me was just go SLOW. Ignore the idiots behind you wanting you to speed up. Driving on snow doesn't scare me at all. Driving with all the idiots is what scares me.

      Delete
    3. i don't care about snow. i know how to drive in it. it's the idiots on the road that scare me. they think they can travel 60 mph in any conditions! but i don't go out on ice. we get rain from lake erie and then snow on top. not going anywhere in that!
      deb h.

      Delete
  5. It's looking very brown and grey here to. We had a flurry, or two. I missed them because I was stuck in the office. It's just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. I half dread it and half anticipate it. I like snow when I am forted up and don't have to go out. But I hate it if I have to try to drive in it. Pioneer Preppy is right, the biggest risk is people who don't know how to drive in snow and who do a kamikaze run into you that you can't avoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. an addendum; i drive using the rearview mirror, too. it has saved me from the nuts behind me who can't drive in rain or snow. keep alert.
      deb h.

      Delete
  7. I cant imagine what it would be like to live through Winter like you do. We have it very easy here compared to the conditions you have to endure. We get the occasional frost and that is about it! I love the snow pics and cant wait to see more :) Our Summer season can be pretty awful with the dry, heat and dust storms, thank goodness for modern day equipment to keep us cool. I often think of my ancestors and how they managed in the sweltering conditions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the same thought about these mountains in the summer. There are still a few old log cabins from the 1860's that have been preserved here. The heat and humidity must have been hellish, and I can't imagine having to have a fire in the fireplace to cook over at the same time. If I couldn't air condition this place and my out buildings in the summer, the humidity would destroy most of my supplies and equipment.

      We are supposed to get snow here this Thanksgiving. If it happens, I'll take lots of new pictures and post them.

      Delete