“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Heads Up for M-1 Garand owners.

Anyone who knows guns recognizes instantly which weapon this ammunition is for.  The en bloc clips tell you this is for the M-1 Garand.

The rifle used to be tremendously popular in the 60's through the late 90's.  Most rifle shooters had one, and it was the weapon of choice for NRA High Power matches.

Now, those guys are getting too old to do much shooting or take the buffeting the M-1 deals out. The newer generation of veterans is all about the AR-15, with a few die hards still shooting the Springfield M-1, which is actually an M-14 for civilians, and has nothing to do with the M-1 Garand. The M-14 is a modernized M-1 but the Garand is still unique.




So, for those out there who own one, I wanted to do this post tonight.   I hear from a friend who should know, that AIM  Surplus is expecting another shipment of the specially made M-1 ammo from Serbia.


The thing to do,  is to log on to AIM, open your account, then look up the ammo under 30-06.  Click the button that says "notify me when on hand" or words to that effect.  Then, the instant you get the email, order it. If you don't check your email pretty frequently you are probably not going to get any, since this ammunition has gotten excellent reviews, is reloadable,  and AIM doesn't get much in at a time. But as far as I can tell this is your best shot. I check my email very often, and I've missed out twice now.

Just as an aside, this .223 is now instock and it is prized for long term storage. 



A full can is three bricks of 300,  $145.00 per brick, for 900 rounds. It's Danish production. That's a good price for ammo packed like this.  So a can is $435 plus shipping,  for 900 rounds.  I guess there's more of a market for 5.56/ .223 , so I tacked it on the M-1 post as an aside. I realize this is a rather haphazard posting, but it's almost 2 a.m. and I figured it was better to get the word out, than to wait til morning when I might write a better post.


8 comments:

  1. Lucky Gunner has some 150 grain PRVI Partisan stuff they say is for the Garand. Price is a bit under a buck a round.

    Personally I sold my Garand and do not miss it. Not a practical defensive weapon due to round count/ reload time, not readily adaptable to optics for long range work and too expensive in terms of the gun and it's ammo to just be a plinker. I'd take an AR, AK or any other modern defensive rifle over a Garand any day. They are a cool piece of history and a wonderful gun to shoot though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an opinion most people of your generation hold. But the M1 has a hell of a range on it, and if you hit somebody with a 30-06 round they usually stay hit. It only takes a second or so to put a new clip in the gun. I think when you are truly using aimed fire it's still viable. My thought is that 8 rounds of aimed fire is better than 800 rounds of spray and pray. I know you don't shoot that way but under stress a lot of people do, they forget their training and it makes them feel better to put a lot of rounds down range as soon as possible. The M1 is really heavy, it kicks, it's finicky about ammo, and it will give you M1 thumb if you are not paying attention to what you are doing. But I still like it a lot. That ammo you mentioned is essentially the same thing that comes in the can, it's PRVI.

      You should get an M1 just to have one. You could get one from the Civilian Marksmanship Program with no trouble given your credentials. When you get older and more sedentary you may miss the old M1 you sold off.

      Delete
  2. I don't shoot my M1 Garand much due to ammo being slow to come by so this is good info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duke, Lake City ammo used to be available through the Civilian Marksman Ship program. Like Ryan, you have a military background so you can buy from them without going through all the bureaucratic b.s. a not vet has to put up with. They get the ammo in from time to time, depending on what is declared surplus by the government and what comes in on the ships.

      Delete
  3. Harry.

    M-1 Garands are cool, but I will like my M1A. I still may sell it and move to a lighter, more accurate Remington 700 heavy barreled .308.

    I have an AR-15 on steroids. A Stag 3G rifle, 18 inch, fluted stainless heavy barrel, muzzle break with a Samson free float rail, three and half pound two stage trigger and also has a full length gas system to minimumize recoil. I installed a Leupold, 3 by 9 scope on it.
    Its insanely accurate. I paid $1400 for it a year and half ago and I rate it up with some of the $2000 or more AR's.
    If you got to pop a hog or a coyote at range and have a clean, humane kill, this is the one to use.
    This rifle can do one inch groups at 100 yards and two inch groups at 200 yards (I just wish my eyes could keep up with this rifle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captain Crunch, I'm not familiar with that rifle but it sounds like it would be all you need. Your M1A should bring a good price and you can put the money into other areas where you are light. We all have something we need to improve.

      Delete
  4. Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    that was me above with the Stag 3G rifle (forgot to leave my handle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pair of Garands, one a Tanker, both in 7.62 NATO rather than standard .30-06. They are heavy and long (the non Tanker) but they instill a lot of confidence. My Uncle, now deceased, carried one in Italy during WWII and it was his stories which convinced me to buy one. When I gave it to him for his inspection, I could see the years melt away in his eyes, and his quiet smile told me volumes.

    The Garand is my heavy rifle, the Ruger Mini-14 and it compliment each other. They share similar locations of controls, sight pictures, safeties and trigger feel. The Mini-14 is for hiking, the Garand is for 'Come and Take It'. :^) If it comes to that, I'm too old for running away.

    ReplyDelete