“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, December 9, 2013

Le Deluge.


AIM had a sale on Mosin Nagants and I almost bought one.  That would have been the "coals to Newcastle" scenario. Perhaps this incessant rain is having a negative impact on my judgement? It has been raining, blowing and storming for a long time now.  Last night I was  in bed and I heard a big tree go, near the house. There's that breaking wood noise, starting out low and getting louder. Then the sound of the tree falling and crashing through other trees. You can never tell exactly where it is coming down, so you just have to wait and see if a tree comes bursting through the roof and impales you on the broken branches just before it squashes you. Falling trees in a storm are like having artillery fall around you.  There isn't much you can do, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time then it's end game.

I don't like the scope on that Nagant. If he was going to do that, he should have bought a PPU scope or a modern reproduction and put that on there. He could have had the bolt turned down . But at least the guy has some protection there, I suppose that's what counts. I hate "sporterized" guns. They are like a classic painting with graffiti sprayed across it by vandals.

For the Gentleman of discriminating taste but modest means. The Mosin Nagant Model 1891 30.


Today (or I guess it's Monday now so yesterday) my son scrambled around getting ready for the cold that is predicted for this week. Monday is supposed to have a low of  8 degrees, Tuesday 1 below, and the rest of the week through Thursday has lows in the low teens and highs below freezing.  He needed a good winter coat, a watch cap and gloves so he got those.  Glenn also took his car to the Walmart auto shop and got a new battery, had his antifreeze checked.  His tires are not bald, but they do not have much traction, they were just designed for dry roads. I don't think I can even get snow tires for that vehicle, but I need to think about chains I guess. Personally I never had any luck putting on chains and tightening them, but you do what you have to do . My daughter in her Jeep Commander did not have trouble driving during the ice storm. It is heavier, has a wider wheel base, the tires are twice as wide as the Liberty tires. Also, she did not try to drive in the ice, which doubtless had some impact on the issue.

  


The rain goes on through Thursday here.  Frontal passage is supposed to take place from this second storm in a few hours and then it may taper off or it may not.   There's nothing quite so isolating as a big storm in the mountains.  At least the power is staying on, for the time being.  It would feel a lot more desolate up here without the amenities electricity permits you. I don't feel like listening to the generator roar all night either. The racket is almost not worth the power.

18 comments:

  1. I never really worry about snow tires or chains just weight and driving slow. Then again my regular mud tires are about as good as snow tires really. We used to all use chains in Germany and your right they were a real pain. A number of the guys around the post had some serious dings on their fenders from chains coming off and after the snow melted you could find chains all over the place along the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in California, there were people who made a lot of money by sitting by the road on the freeway going through the Donner Summit. The Highway Patrol would light up the "chains only" sign, and these people did nothing but put chains on for you. You pulled over, they put your chains on, you gave them twenty bucks, and you went on your way. They knew how to do it. I can line up the chains and drive over them, but the damned little hooks come off once I get going and the chain starts flailing your vehicle. I don't even have chains here, because if the weather is bad I stay home. But Glenn has to get to work, so I guess I will order a set of chains for that car. If I can even find them. The 2002 Liberty had a lot of quirks that makes it a real Hanger Queen unless you stay right on top of it, and parts, accessories are miserable to have to find.

      Delete
  2. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    I got my Mosin 9130 Hex receiver, complete with all the wonderful cosmoline. I am still at an impasse on cleaning it. Its too cold here now to mess with it so I will wait for another day.
    I found this out by the way, the bayonet improves accuracy. The barrel harmonics are designed so that the Mosin will shoot to the right without the bayonet. Fix your bayonet and your on the money. I think the bayonet makes a hell of a psychological tool on your enemy anyway. Bayonets are no longer used in combat and if you do have one (especially a Mosin) It shows you got a bigger "tallywacker" than your enemy (I had to use Tallywacker, in honor of the movie "Porky's" that came out in the early 1980's) see the youtube video.

    On the cold weather thing, If you recall Harry' I live on the Texas Gulf Coast. I got back into surfing after a five year hiatus and I have a part time job on the beach 'Yes, I get paid to work on the beach. I use that money for surfboard wax and ammo. I ride a 9'6 old school style longboard (not right, too cold) and I don't dig on wetsuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to say, before I read your addendum, that the last time we were talking you were all busted up. You better take it easy, the only cure for the ailments of aging is getting dead, but it's a drastic one.

      The Mosen is a long rifle, and with the bayonet fixed, it's like holding one of those poles they use in pole vaulting. I used to keep one with a fixed bayonet by the door to my porch, so that if a bear came up and got into a fight over the dog food with my dogs, I could prod him away without having to shoot him. My wife didn't think much of that idea, least the bear give me a big "hug" and chew me up. So now I keep a smoke grenade, one of those cheap ones you get at the fireworks places in Tennessee, and I will just set it loose on the porch. Bears hate that sulfur stink, I have used this kind of thing to run them off from the barn before.

      Delete
  3. Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I ment to say (not right now, too cold) water temp's 58 degree's. I got a back injury, knee injury, arthritis, etc and the surfing's help out a lot with mobility, and with the back injury. I gotta keep moving so I don't get cannibalized by Kymber's cannibals (reminds me of the Walking Dead)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt cannibals would eat you, man. They like tender people, not old dried up leathery guys.

      Delete
  4. The generator will drive you crazy! We did leave ours on the last time power went out but normally we don't. We have cut trees back so, at least 12 yrs ago, they couldn't fall and hit much of the house. At first I was upset he took out so many trees until we went through some storms and would either see or hear them coming down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The noise didn't used to bother me but now it aggravates me to death. I don't turn on the generator unless the power is out for a good long while and then I only run it while I need it.

      I cut back the trees on one side of the house, but on the other I left them. I have had some massive tree falls right across the parking areas and I am lucky never to have lost a vehicle. I wish now I had taken out the trees all the way around, because of the fire danger. Also, I'd have a spectacular view from the front porch without the woods coming right up to the house. I tend to be a fatalist about the trees falling in a storm. Something is going to get me, sooner or later, and I guess at least being squashed by a tree would be quicker than cancer or the like.

      Delete
    2. Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      Don't know if it would help, but there's a web site that shows how to take an exhaust flange that is tack welded to the generator's exhaust, then it hooks onto a flexible metal exhaust hose leading to a cheap muffler.
      It really works.....

      I will find that link to that site and you can check it out yourself.

      Delete
    3. I'd be interested in looking at it. I did build a field expedient muffler out of an oil drum, similar to what I saw used in the Marine Corps. Mine didn't work worth a damn and I wound up using the drum as a burn drum for paper trash.

      Delete
  5. generators drive a person wonky. we have thought about investing in one of those "Guardian" ones from Home Depot or Lowes, just so expensive.

    Senior bought a Mosin about a year ago. He likes it and it will come in useful if the government starts gun confiscations, cache our good stuff, and hand them the less expensive Mosin. I actually would like to find me an older one that I can re-do the stock on- yea that is a project I would like to tackle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glock Mom,
      The Nagant is a good rifle. You should be able to find one that needs a refinished stock at a gun show or pawn shop for under $75.00. That would be a good project, and wouldn't ruin the rifle.

      My brother has a propane generator and it makes zero noise, just a hum. My diesel generator echoes through the mountains and sounds like a T34 tank warming up just outside the window.

      Delete
  6. I was so happy we didn't lose power this time around. But pierce was out of school today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the middle of the week things should be returning to normal.

      Delete
  7. That is one pretty gun!

    It snowed here all day yesterday. Then melted and side streets are ice. In some spots it wasn't fun driving! They said on the news that they worried about the buses, but were going to send kids to school anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good eye. That rifle has laminate stock. Relatively rare.

      School administrators catch alot of flak over cancellations when both parents work so they take risks to avoid the agro.

      Delete
    2. Have him get a few big bags of kitty litter to put in the back over the axle. That should help. Over time I've used the cable "chains" with success. Mine are from Les Schwab but sadly that wonderful tire store is only in the greater PNW. Keep a spare bungee cord to make sure it's on tight.

      A friend of mine lost part of a quarter panel on an old F-150 to a loose chain once. Their road was utterly impossible in bad winter weather with a steep drop on one side. Thankfully it was just a third of a mile to the hardball so they walked.

      As to the Mosin. By far the most affordable rifle today. I'd get an M44 because a 91 is about 6 feet long. One's on my list. If I find it at the right price it would be a nice addition to the stable.

      Delete
    3. He is going to put some weight in the back, and I'm looking for chains to fit the tires. Not an easy task. A chain coming off on the road or being loose and pounding the vehicle is bad news indeed. My dad always used elastic clips like bungee cords to keep the chains on tight.

      The M44 is a great rifle. I don't mind the longer barrel and you get higher muzzle velocity, but the 1891 is certainly not a truck gun.

      Delete