“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sunday night

At least, it's still Sunday for another 13 minutes or so.

My wife has gone back to the town where she teaches, but we had a wonderful week together and really enjoyed her being home.  We didn't do anything really, didn't even go to a movie, but it was just nice.  The Chinese symbol for happiness is a stylized roof with the symbol for a woman under it. (The symbol for unhappiness, somewhat less romantic, is the same stylized roof with two symbols for woman under it.)

At the moment, I am sitting up because my daughter is back in the hospital in. She had a particularly bad attack this afternoon. Her boyfriend is with her and will call us when we know more, and there's no sense in trying to go to sleep. I've been an inveterate insomniac  for more than 30 years and I'm certainly not going to go to sleep with this hanging over my head tonight.

I suspect she has been working too hard, and worrying too much. It's very difficult for people of her generation to get ahead. I had life very easy indeed when I was her age, but the times have changed. For the worse. And they're getting worse. I wish I could say that's the normal attitude of older people speaking but in fact it's just plain reality.

My 31'st wedding anniversary is Tuesday.  If my wife was home we would at least try to go to town for dinner, but since she won't be it will have to be enough to remember it. I have some nice wedding pictures I will try to find. People who have seen my pictures on the blog won't recognize me in those pictures taken so long ago.

Well,  I'm reading The Savage Wars, British Campaigns in Africa 1870-1920 so I guess I better get back to it.

8 comments:

  1. Oh no your daughter is in the hospital! That's horrible. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.

    I haven't been to the hospital as an adult except for having my kids. When I was little I had to go to the hospital often due to asthma attacks. I started getting them again, but haven't had to go in yet.

    That's good your daughter has a boyfriend to look after her.

    Happy anniversary. It's too bad your wife has to work. Does she have a different home away from home when she teaches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It often seems like Elizabeth spends more of her time in hospitals than out of them but it's not her fault. Her boyfriend is good about taking care of her when this happens.
      My wife stays at her mom's during the work week. She teaches in that county. Too far to commute daily and on the wrong side of the mountains.

      Delete
  2. Flowers for the Wife on Tuesday? Congrats to you both :)

    Hope you daughter is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll try to go out for a movie and dinner this next weekend. Haven't heard from them up in Cincinnati and it's nearly four a.m.here. I imagine they are already home and just figured it was too late to call. Or they may already have called my wife.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a really nice time together, that's more important than an anniversary gift anyway. I hope all is well with your daughter by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is back home. Doesn't look like she will be going into work this week though. It takes her a while to get over one of these incidents.

      Delete
  4. Dang, sorry to read about your daughter being in the hospital. Lots of anxiety to deal with as a parent so far away. Some time back you wrote about the Washing of the Spears by Morris. I found a 99 cent copy from Abe Books and finished it in just a few sittings. I am an avid reader that way, if it is a good book, the world goes on without me while i read! Anyway, thanks for mentioning it.I enjoyed it immensely. It will be one I read again. Would you recommend The Savage Wars?
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. The Savage Wars is essentially a synopsis of British military operations in Africa during the Victorian Era with some of the political background included. I thought it was a good book if not quite so interesting as The Washing of the Spears.

      Delete