“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Back to Normal

Outside temperatures today are in the low forties. Tonight we are getting down to just around freezing. These are conditions I'm used to and can more easily cope with. This last week of cold primarily impacted my energy usage. We burned much more propane than normal, and I used electric space heaters to augment the heaters already out in the shop, apartment and enclosed portion of the barn.  That will mean some adjustment to the budget but I feel like we got off easily, because as far as I can tell, we had no permanent damage. A lot of people here will be trying to fix broken pipes today. Especially those who have second homes up here and didn't drain the pipes before they went back to Florida.


The snow and ice is gone, except for some ice hanging down off the roof edges.  No trouble with the roads.


10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you came away unscathed. Down here things are pretty much back to normal. Finished the Flashman book which I really enjoyed. Plan to read more of them as time passes. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would like Flashman. I will send you the next few books.

      Delete
  2. hi. i think God is giving us warning to always stockpile twice what we think we need. anything can happen and eventually will.
    we may have a mild winter which causes us to relax too much and then we are shocked when winter shows its true nature.
    better to have too much wood than not enough. it is the razor edge between death and life.
    we are dependent on city supplies here so am thinking about propane heaters i have seen mentioned on the internet.
    djh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I will admit that hearing on the news about propane shortages in Oklahoma got my attention. I am giving thought to putting in another propane tank. If I run out of propane it's back to the wood burning stoves and the fire place. Once my stocks of stacked firewood are exhausted the work load increases exponentially.

      Delete
  3. It warmed up here to. We've been trying to keep our thermostat down. I still hear it clicking on a lot. We're not home during the day, so it's set fairly low. I'm afraid to see our next bill tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know our next power bill will be high, and in December and the first week of January we used up what normally constitutes two months worth of Propane. But I don't know what we could have done about it, I'm home almost all the time and I hate being cold. The ferrets need to be kept warm and they need moist air as well, so we will just have to pay for the higher fuel consumption. I think you probably saved yourself some money with the conservation measures, I guess there are advantages to everybody being at work or school part of the time.

      Delete
  4. It felt warm today after Tuesday. There is a chance of ice in the morning though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel warm today, although it never got over 40 here. Still, 40 is 56 degrees warmer than 16 below, so that's a big advantage. I hope we don't have ice, I have to go back to town tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. We got in the high 30's today. Cut up a few mill ends and stocked up the front porch with wood. Cold weather isn't a huge surprise and this house was built in the 40's so the pipes don't freeze easily. I know the woodstove was a bit on the high end for cost for most people on disability. It is really saving me on both cost and effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two wood stoves and really like them. I've used them for years. Using propane is just a lot less work for me.

      Delete