“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Moon over the mountains




There is a truly spectacular moon tonight.  Right next to it there's a bright star, or maybe it's one of the planets. Either way, it's lighting up the woods tonight.  I sat upstairs in the study for a long time tonight just enjoying the view and listening to smooth jazz on the satellite radio.

The gas truck wound it's painful way up the mountain and topped me off.  Propane was three dollars a gallon, which is the highest I can ever remember it being.  Apparently,  there's a short term shortage and the gas companies, as always, are using the opportunity to overcharge their customers.  Be that as it may, I went ahead and placed the order. We are supposed to have snow three times this week, and I know once that happens, the truck can't get up here until it warms up enough to melt all the snow in the shadows.  Since the jeep trail stays in shadow all day at this time of year, it's an important consideration.

I spent a good bit of today cleaning rifles.  I don't remember them being so heavy, but I confess that having arthritis in my wrists probably makes the weight feel more than it is.  I got seven or eight thoroughly cleaned, which isn't bad for one session.


Although it's clear tonight, we are supposed to have snow by morning. If so, I plan on driving over to the park, getting a cup of coffee there, and walking around the lake.  There won't be any tourists there at this time of year, and I'll have the lake trail all to myself.  It's very peaceful in winter, when the snow is falling.



8 comments:

  1. Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    Yeah' its a full moon on the beach tonight also.

    I'm off tonight so I am drinking "Colorado Kool Aid" (Coors beer) the old stuff in the gold can. Coors light taste like 'mule urine' (not that I've tasted mule urine)

    In one old song by Red Sovine' theres a line that he says "Coors beer will set your head on fire and make your kidneys stream" I think the name of the song is "Colorado Kool Aid"
    Colorado used to be a nice place until all the California nut jobs and liberal pot smokers moved in and took the place over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A full moon on the beach would be nice. If it wasn't too cold it would be a good time to walk the dogs. I never cared for Coors, I liked Michelob or Heineken beer on a hot day. I haven't seen Coors in a long time, I'm not sure they sell it back here.

      Colorado probably still has some nice places if you can find them, way out away from everybody else.

      Delete
  2. $3.97/gallon here in Southern California...filling that tank was brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, when you throw in taxes, and all the little "nickle and dime you to death" fees, filling a propane tank is a major expense. Not much choice, though, because electric heat would be even more and wood is a grind.

      Delete
  3. We too had a bright moon last night, on top of fresh snow. More to come tonight. Better to have snow then the bitter cold any day. I heard about the propane shortage, heard due to the wet crops this fall farmers needed more to dry crops. Just another reason to raise the prices. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I never knew farmers dried crops, but it figures. No snow here yet. In fact, it's clear and cold. So much for the weather prognosis.

      Delete
    2. Happens all the time. The growing season was short late snow, early fall, and cold weather. I have seen some fields of corn still waiting for harvest.

      Delete
    3. Around here, there's only corn and it's always harvested in October, mostly for feed. A long time ago, people used to grow vegetables to sell at the farmers market in Atlanta, but high fuel prices put an end to that.

      Delete