“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, January 17, 2014

Snow and sleet, 14 degrees above on tap for tonight.


I've been sitting upstairs, drinking coffee and listening to NOAA weather radio.  Not long ago, they proposed to cut off our weather radio here to save money.  So many people raised hell that the big wigs in D.C. relented. It figured they would want to keep funding temperature buoys out in the ocean but stop broadcasting local weather.  I can get weather from the internet, but the Weather Channel is gone now. Direct TV dropped it.  The fact is, the weather outfit they replaced Weather Channel with is a better one, because it doesn't have all these asinine shows about prospecting and "freaks".  What has any of that got to do with the weather? The new outfit just does weather, all day, and I was watching it instead of Weather Channel anyway.  I will miss Stephanie Abrams, the statuesque amazon blond. I'll also miss Jen Cargfagno, because she was such a sweet natured person and a good wife and mom. She always worked the bad shifts so she could be with her family. But that's how it goes.

Tonight we have sleet, freezing rain and snow predicted.  Supposedly it will pass through quickly and not be a bother. I hope my wife gets away from school and gets on home as soon as she can. She has to cross the mountains to get  back here, and both passes ice up quickly. If she leaves her mom's by four, she should be home early enough to avoid the bad weather.


Parking up here is hellish. I've mentioned before that I have parking pads for the vehicles, but not much in the way of turn around room.  The pad I've been using for my wife's car has no turn around at all. I have to back it down a steep slope, through the trees, before I can get the nose pointed down slope. Last weekend I was backing up, with the door open. The ridiculous little owls eye window in the back of the car is useless. But as I passed a tree, the door was a little bit too much open and it hit the tree. Not a lot of damage but it will be a shop job to fix the thing back so it fits in the door slots correctly. Something is always jumping out of the woodwork to bite you in the derriere on this mountain.






14 comments:

  1. Ya but if you lived in a city or town instead of trees jumping out at you it would be the neighbors or all those unexplained dents if you parked on the road.

    Always seemed to me there were more things jumping out at me as the population density near me increased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true enough. I haven't hit anything with a vehicle in ages until now, unless you count sliding off forest service roads in snow or mud and that's not the same thing.

      Delete
  2. We have another 2-4 inches coming tonight also. Stay warm, a good night to listen to the world on the short wave and drink something hot. The problem with living in rural America is those damn teenage tree that cause all kinds of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that and idiots who design cars with tiny little back Windows. Give me a jeep any day. You can see out of the back of those. My mother-in-law gave this car to my wife. Having a little passenger car up in these mountains makes as much sense as a screen door in a submarine.

      Delete
  3. The weather here is back to normal after that polar vortex mess. Pleasant during the day then chilly at night, not too bad really. We don't have tv so I get my weather from the net and anecdotes I hear on the radio. Got to get an antena so I can watch the local news and generally keep a better track of what is going on around here. That being said I've been slacking on reading any news and don't really miss it. Unplugging is nice sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)

    I know what you mean about the weather channel. Sadly NBC (National Bolsievik Channel) ruined the weather channel.
    I had a crush on Jennifer Carfagno until I found out she was married and pregnant years back. Married women are a big turn off for me:(

    Speaking of women I would like to date. I like Russian women and Russian guns. Heres a youtube link to that Russian heavy machine gun I was talking about on the other post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kyrVsiNZOU

    I wonder if Ivan has a sister that can mount on of thease in my Toyota truck??
    (don't worry, I'm not going to do that mail order bride thing) however If I was rich, I would get that class III license and mount on of them guns in my truck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I checked the weather in Nova Scotia, its warmer there than in your neck of the woods http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?ns-43&unit=i

    I'm sure Kymber is outside right now running polar bears out of her garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She and J have been working on their place. They are pretty handy at construction type things.

      Delete
  6. Be careful out there. My Jeep has big mirrors and when I got the car I picked a used Ford Focus because of the mirrors. I found a car I thought was cuter but the mirrors were so tiny that I moved on. At work I park in a parking garage on the lower level in dim light so I like to back in and big mirrors that I can aim down at the lines are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Jeeps have good rearward visibility. This little Dodge belonged to my mother in law. She got to where she couldn't drive anymore, so she gave it to my wife. But it is terribly ill suited for the mountains. I moved my big F250 truck off the largest pad, my wife parks there now. I can back the truck down to a turnaround point despite it's size because it has a big back window and huge mirrors.

    Be sure you have your can of mace, or your sock full of lead shot, or whatever you carry for self defense when you get in that parking garage. Having lived in ATL, you know that's a prime place for muggings and attacks on women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the garage is specific to my building in a suburban setting on a college campus and is completely on camera from our security staff. We have to have a badge to open the tunnel door from the garage into the building. We've not really had problems but I do a flex schedule and arrive early, leaving by 3:30 PM so never there late.

      Delete
    2. That's good. I can't afford to lose any friends. Now if Lisa would only stop running out on the road by herself........

      Delete
  8. It keeps going back and forth here. Last week we had wind advisories. It was cold! It spitted rain and snow. Then today it got up to 55! That's odd for this time of year. Now there is talk of more snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been getting flurries every night but they don't stick. It's too dry. We are looking at some accumulation of snow on Tuesday, and temps down around 13 above. But that's still 29 degrees warmer than it was on our lowest temp night during that bad cold snap last week. The weather has been strange, indeed. If it goes on like this the whole winter I am going to be spending way over budget on propane.

      Delete