“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Friday, January 31, 2014

The snow is melting, in some places.

I walked down to the county road. It's clear.  Outside temperature right now is high forties and the sun is shining.  The forest service road, which is in shadow all day,  has been driven on by people out four wheeling, and all the snow has been packed down into about a half inch of ice.  My road, leading up from the county road to the house, is untouched.  The snow hasn't melted at all. If it doesn't freeze tonight, and the air is warm it can melt rapidly though.  Maybe by tomorrow I can get back up to the house with the Jeep.

I turned off the pump for four hours, then went up and turned on the kitchen sink in the apartment. It took a good while for the water to stop running, which means if I have a broken pipe it can't be much of one. The apartment and shop are probably a good 50 feet higher, or more, than the pump. If there was a break, the water would have run out of the apartment and the pipe would have been empty above the break. That's my logic, anyway. Once I can get in and out to town I will see about getting the stethoscope, unless my wife brings one home with her today.


8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that its getting warm for you. Folks here in MN can't believe how fast things went down hill with a little snow and Ice in the Atlanta area. Hope you find the cause of the leak. Enjoy your weekend sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have to cope with this kind of weather often. I honestly have never experienced this with a wave after wave of snow, ice and very cold temps. We have no stockpiles of salt, cinders or sand. In my entire county, we have two old 1950's era dump trucks with ploughs on the front. Nobody knows how to drive in snow. It's just a hideous mess when it gets down this far.

      Delete
  2. Despite not having any snow or rain for weeks now and a couple of warmish days we still have snow here and there that never did melt. Mostly in places where it was drifted or shoved.

    Running behind right now taking care of two places is really cutting my time down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to walk up from the county road in the dark last night carrying all my wife's stuff because I forgot to bring the sled down. I tried to get the Jeep up here this morning, but everything froze again last night and it was impossible. This afternoon it hit 66 by four, and the snow and ice melted away immediately. Got both vehicles at the house now, but anywhere the snow drifted that has not been hit by sunshine there is still plenty of it around.

      I can imagine. Taking care of my place has been hard enough.

      Delete
  3. Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    It was real warm and humid today. I had to run the A/C in my truck for awhile because I am not used to the heat.

    I have been trying to catch up on housework and tomorrow morning before I go to work, I will check out the truck since we have another cold front coming in. I really don't want to be cought with my pants down when a front comes through and Its too cold to do anything useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very warm here today, too. 66 outside now. But we have the same front to contend with that you do, supposed to be here by Tuesday.

      Delete
  4. It finally snowed here last night. Just 2 inches. I was hoping it would be more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alissa, I've had enough snow to last me a while. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. I did before this last month.

    ReplyDelete