“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, February 1, 2014

66 degrees and I get off the mountain at last.

It has been a good day.  Last night I met my wife down at the county road, long after dark.  I was able to get her car about half way up the forest service road , but we had to walk the rest of the way. The snow had frozen, and we were carrying a lot of gear, including a 16 pound bag of cat food. I didn't think to bring the sled, so all this had to be carried.  It was a long walk through the dark up to the house.

It was a warm, clear day today though, and the temperature went to 66 degrees.  We drove the Jeep into town and waited about 30 minutes in line at the car wash. It was the great "get the salt off your car" evolution.  I got a kick out of watching people lovingly scrub their cars and completely ignore the underside of the vehicle.

After we got the Jeep cleaned off, we went to Walmart.  I had a run in with the person who works at the ammo counter.  She's really obnoxious. There was a paper posted on the ammo locker about a recall. I wanted to take it up front and copy it so I could post it. She said they didn't have a copier at Walmart. This is the same woman who takes ammo out of the shipments, hides it under the counter, then sells it to her friends and relations while telling other customers none came in.  At any rate, I've learned from dealing with her in the past that it's a waste of breath talking to her. I found the recall on the web anyway.  I wanted to have my oil changed while I was at Walmart, but the automotive manager told me it would be an hour and a half before they could get to me.  So I did not accomplish that.


This evening I've just been listening to some smooth jazz. At nine I'm going to watch "Captain Phillips" on  Direct TV pay per view. Sometimes it's not necessary to accomplish a whole long list of things to feel like it's been a good day.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day. We here in MN have had 31 days below zero this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter is the worst I remember, and I've been here awhile. Yesterday we got three inches of rain in about 14 hours, and quite a thunder and lightning display. What's next, I wonder?

      Delete
  2. Glad you all got home ok, My car is a mess and I have it in a garage at home and underground at work. I'm holding off on washing though since we're getting more of it next week and it has the potential to be big. I need an oil change too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make herculean efforts to maintain my vehicles. That's why they last me so many years. It's very unusual for me to miss an oil change odometer reading, but I did this time. I hear there will be snow here on Sunday. I hope it isn't a lot.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got out and enjoyed some warmer weather. We barely got above 30 today but this is normal Winter weather so it's been warm and toasty all day. I even went out and fed in just a sweatshirt no coat needed.

    Everything is covered with ice from the storm and more snow/sleet is falling as we speak with more on the way by Tuesday. The dry January is over and now for some moisture!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a big rain storm come through yesteday. 3 inches around my place. The creeks are flooded and the river is way up. The only thing we haven't had is a major ice storm and I would expect that's next. Or a meteor strike.

      Delete
  4. Hit seventy here today. People like the ammo woman bring out the worst in me. Many a time I've wanted to reach over and slap 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I live way out here. There's less chance for me to do murder.

      Delete
  5. It's good it was a warmer day/night for your long walk! It sounds like your hands were certainly full.

    I can't stand when customer service people have no manners. I worked a summer college job at one of those places. I was kind to people. I happened to work with people that ignored customers. It really annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I treat people the way they treat me .If they are decent, so am I. If they are not, I go high and right. For years I had a hair trigger but I am all better now.
      ;-)

      Delete
  6. walmart has a website where you can enter a complaint. don't know if they act on the complaints or not. have a go at it and put that woman's name in if you can remember .
    djh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried going that route, sent them a detailed complaint and a scanned image of the receipt in question. They had one price marked on the ammunition in the locker, but when it ran up it was much higher. When I asked what was going on they told me they had just had a price increase but hadn't changed the prices on the boxes. When I went to the manager he told me he "couldn't deal with it right now" and he sent me to some cashier who said she had no idea what to do. So I did my complaint on their website and never heard anything back. Somebody hit the delete button rather than address the issue.

      Delete
  7. In my misspent youth when it got late on the weekends and we were not half drunk we often ended up at Walmart. What else are you going to do at midnight? For reasons I'm not clear on most of the shotgun ammo lived on the shelves and thus you could buy it. More than one night found me buying a few dozen rounds of shotgun ammo, a random CD and some snacks. Oh misspent youth. On the plus side I still have most of the ammo stored away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time putting up with abuse from different stores, and still going back because they are the only show in town. If I lived somewhere with a choice, I would never darken the doorway of Walmart again. But I don't. It's buy there or drive three hours one way.

      Delete
  8. Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    we raise hell with walmart all the time when people with small brains hide ammo.

    Many people don't like me because I'm opinionated and I'm not afraid to stand my ground and say what I think. I have called General Managers, Store managers, district managers on walmat employees that were hiding ammo. If someone is fare and professional, I compliment them. If they are crooked, I raise hell.

    I may be a pain in the ass, but I dont treat people like dirt unless I really have too and it takes a lot for me to get to that point.

    Like they said in bootcamp. The pen is mightier than the sword. Now its Microsoft Word is mightier than the sword.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to make the attempt. Even if someone just throws your letter in the s**tcan at least you know you tried.

      Delete
  9. Glad you had a day to shake the cabin fever feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, just for a change, to know I could leave if I wanted to. But now a big storm is coming in this Sunday and I may be stuck again. I'm not even going to leave the Jeep by the forest service road or the county road this time, it's too far to walk in the cold.

      Delete
  10. Harry - i'm with Dani...glad you got to get out for a bit! and i am so glad that your wife made it home safe and sound! and you are soo right - some days you don't have to finish up a long list of things accomplished, some days are just for enjoying yourself and the day.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I better enjoy getting out while I can. Doesn't look like I'll be able to do that for awhile after this Sunday.

      It was nice while it lasted.

      Delete