“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Snowing to beat the band.


Snow started last night and is still going strong.  Big, heavy , wet flakes.  The woods are covered , even the tree limbs.  This isn't so bad though, the temperature is just below freezing.  As long as we don't have any of that below zero stuff or single digits it isn't so hard to get by.   So far the most interesting thing to happen is that two black cows have escaped from their barn and are wandering around on a county road.  There have been the normal cases of poor judgement and the wreckers are making lots of money towing people out of ditches. The Sheriff's deputies are quite exasperated with it all.   There was a chimney fire last night and lots of hooting and hollering about that. The fire and rescue people here know nothing about radio discipline, but I guess it doesn't do any harm and it's interesting to listen to them over the scanner.


Nothing much else to tell.  I have to go out in a bit and feed the animals, make sure they have water. I'm staying inside otherwise, doing a little reading.

14 comments:

  1. Warming up here finally after a low this morning of -4 we are up to 15 now and it feels like a warm Summer day. Bright sun that is even melting the snow off the roof and porches. The next several days are looking promising as well.

    What is that on the table in the first picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bronze statue of a Greek hoplite I got in Athens. I bought all sorts of stuff on my jaunts in foreign countries. My wife packed most of it up in cardboard boxes and put them in the barn. I have eclectic tastes in souvenirs.

      Delete
  2. How pretty...It is snowing at a good rate up at our SC property. Driving up there this Friday, and I hope it will still be on the ground. From what the forecasters say it will last through the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know... you'll have to go right through the worst hit areas if they are right about this ice business tonight. It sounds very grim for South Carolina.

      Delete
  3. You build a snowman, with rifle and pack. Awful pretty, your snowy woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does kind of look like that, doesn't he? If we get ice on top of this snow, it's all over but the crying.

      Delete
  4. We are a day behind you, expecting 10-14 inches.... I went to the store for a couple of things, and a lot of the people are getting that crazy look in their eyes. Other than driving her to work in the 4x4, I won't be out in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 14 inches. Good luck with that! I walked to the mailbox today, and that's the extent of my stirring out of doors except to feed animals.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Actually, I'm feeling more like "pass me by." I have been stuck up here for two weeks once. That was enough.

      Delete
  6. Wow. We don't have anything here yet - not expected until tomorrow afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been watching Fox 5, an Atlanta television station. I know they make money and get viewers by drumming up a lot of tension over things like this, but big swaths of the map of Georgia were covered with the word "catastrophic ice conditions." That can't be good. Most of them were in South Georgia. Looks like South Carolina is well and truly going to get blasted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sleeting hard now, mixed with snow. I can hear the sleet falling into the trees and on the ground. Ice is building up on the porch rails and the trees. I think it will be candle time here in a bit. It is pretty, but if the power goes out it'll be a pain.

    ReplyDelete