“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What to do today?

I'm trying to decide what I want to do today.   It's a bit chilly but the sun is out and it's supposed to warm up.

I could take the dogs, and go up to the hiking trail at the gap between two mountains near here. The main issue with that is the fact that I am less apt to wind up having the dogs run off and leave me, since the trail is wide and clear.  If I just go for a walk here, they'll go off on some side trail and I'll wind up walking alone. Without the dogs, how do I know I won't walk up on some hungry bear, come down from the national forest in search of a meal? I'm not so fleet of foot as I once was.




We could walk down to the waterfall.  It's getting to be something of a walk but I could do it .  I like to just sit down there by one of the pools and watch the water go over the falls.  The dogs like to swim in the pools but I doubt they will right now. The water must be icy.





We could go over to the little lake and just walk on the path around it.  This time of year, nobody will be there since the camp grounds are closed.



Or, we could go up to the big lake, to where people race off road motorcycles. No one will be doing that on a Tuesday in February.  The trails go down along the lake shore and they're perfect for walking as long as you can be sure you won't get run over by a motorcycle.




I could go into town, have lunch and then walk at the park by the river there in town. But I couldn't take the dogs on that jaunt. No dogs allowed.



Looking at the pictures, it seems like I've been doing all these things in summer and spring, when the woods are green and it's not cold.  But there's no reason I couldn't do them now. Might even be easier because the humidity is nil right now.  When most of these were taken I would bet the humidity was well over 80%.

I'll have to decide on something.  I'm not going to spend the day doing what I did yesterday, fiddling with a new timer for the security lights. I never got it to work anyway.

13 comments:

  1. No choices for me to make today. I had to hook up the goose neck trailer for sheep transport this morning before the ground thaws because if the ground thaws I will sink to the axles getting it out. According to the forecast it was this AM or not at all for the next week or more. Now as soon as the clouds move out and the temps get up another few degrees it's bee feeding time if they are still alive.

    Gonna be a full day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything goes well. If I lived around there, I'd bear a hand and ride along. At least you are getting something constructive done. I need to start doing that. Maybe I could grow pot. The state pot chopper always hovers over my meadow when they come up here anyway. They see that one section of green grass in the middle of the dark forest and they think they've hit the motherload.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insanely jealous of your dilema on which pretty place to walk to.
    I'm stuck @ work. A friend and I were discussing the odds on either one of us getting a chance at a retirement, not good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my wife wasn't a teacher, I wouldn't be retired. We had a good retirement plan until 2007, at which time we lost most of it. I'll never, ever put another nickle into stocks.

      It's nice not having to put up with some flaming orifices foibles though. I hated the guy I worked for , I just did it for twenty years because I had a wife and family and I made good money. But it would have killed me if I had kept at it another few years.

      Delete
    2. I have been lucky. For 4 years I worked for a guy that desperately needed killing. He would even insult visiting salemens wives and laugh about it. Serious wack job.
      The place Im @ now, they used to pay a pension and had a 401k. Lots of folks walked out of here in 90's w/ lots of $.
      Now we have a 401k but I have the same ideas about stocks you do. Makes it hard to "save" for retirement.
      Best I feel I can do is as little debt as possible and tangiles that can be traded for whatever later.

      Delete
  4. Harry - i am always amazed at the beautiful scenery of your area. i love all of the pics that you take. you know how much me and jam love nature and the natural beauty of your mountain is just breathtaking!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, we are both fortunate in that we live in beautiful places. I am very jealous of your private beach, though. I think you have everything there, that I have here, but you have that extra too.

      Delete
  5. Oh the things to do, the places to visit. Lunch in town sounds good, and then you can people watch. I hope you get that timer fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wired up a manual switch. The timer was driving me crazy. When my wife gets home she can probably figure out how to make it work. Never made it town, I started working on a retaining wall and spent most of the day trying to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry, beautiful looking countryside you live in, so much water everywhere!

    I still have a few years to go until retirement, down here we have what are called superannuation plans. I have taken a fairly conservative approach & my plan does not have a lot of investment in the share market, it took a hit during the GFC but has since bounced back and is doing above the average for Australia. I read about how so many people's retirement funds have been wiped out in the US and it makes me feel sick. At least here the Superannuation funds are pretty stringently regulated especially in regards to investing in "risky" stocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lie. My wife and I took a huge loss in 2007 and I will never invest a penny in the stock market again. Now, I only invest in things that are tangible, like land. There are plenty of people working at McDonald's now who would have been home in their vacation spot but for the boundless greed of the financial community in this country, and the permissive attitude of the government towards legal fraud.

      Delete
  8. Those are pretty pictures. No mountains, or waterfalls here. I used to live by Stone Mountain. We walked there once. That was a long walk. We lived further than we thought. I liked walking up the backside of it - opposite side of the carvings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stone Mountain has changed a lot over the last decade. It's fallen into disrepair to a certain extent. I have lots of trails here, some just animal trails and some maintained by the state.

      Delete