“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, March 17, 2014

Prepper and Shooter. Bizarre phone calls.


I have never actually seen a copy of this magazine, so I can't really say whether or not it is any good. But the cover looks interesting.  As soon as I can track down how to buy a copy, I'll be able to provide more information on the publication.  It's amazing to me how many Survivalist/Prepper magazines there are now. Some of them are actually quite good, though you tend to see the same authors cropping up in all of them. I'd like a little diversity, both in writers and subject matter.  You can only read so many articles on long term food storage or fire starting before your interest begins to flag.

I am getting random phone calls from an entity the caller i.d. identifies as West Union W.Virginia.
I checked on the internet and there is actually a town by that name in West Virginia, but I suspect someone is hoping that recipients will think it is Western Union calling.  The phone number is 304-873-4020.  If I answer the phone, the line goes dead. If my answering machine picks up, there is no message.  If I call the number back, I get a message saying the number I have called is no longer in service.  Running West Union West Virginia phone calls has turned up nothing. Usually, if it is a scam or some kind of sales call, you can run it on google and you get lots of links to posts complaining about X caller, or explanations from people who know about X caller,  as to what they are about. But I came up dry with this outfit.

I don't care enough to pay money to use a reverse call lookup service.  It's no doubt another phone scam, I seem to get a lot of those calls even though I am on the "no call" list.







7 comments:

  1. I think the "no call" list is useless. I get calls every day. Sometimes the number shows up on caller ID and sometimes not. I just ignore all of them. I figure if they want to talk to me, they can leave a message. Then I can decide whether or not I want to talk to them. I'm ornery that way. Seems like after a particular call has been ignored for about a week, it simply goes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It irks me when I get calls and I don't know who it is. Especially when I am trying to sleep, and the phone rings, I pick it up, and it hangs up. Yours is the sensible thing to do. God made answering machines for screening calls.

      Delete
  2. We get phone calls now and then on our internet number. We can't answer it as we don't have regular service on that number. Our internet phone, (Basic Talk) we only get calls from those who have our number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have a regular land line. I only keep it really for two reasons. One, they work when cells don't in unusual circumstances, and two, my cell doesn't work at the house at all. No signal.

      Delete
  3. There are a few free reverse call lookups. One is whocalled.us that I use. Another had a few reports on that number your gave: https://www.numberguru.com/s/3048734020 Hope it helps? Unbreakable AZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good. I didn't think there were any free ones left. Every one I tried said I had to pay for any information, and even if I cared enough to do that, which ZI don't, I sure don't want to put my credit card info on some web site I know nothing about. I'll take a look. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This number has called me a number of times. I've reported it to the National Do Not Call List, but that won't get anything resolved. The federal government doesn't do anything with 99% of the complaints. My suggestion is this: This phone number originates in West Union, WV on a Verizon phone system. Register on forums.verizon.com and then complain directly to Verizon on their blog. Make sure you indicate the phone number, 304-873-4020, in your entry on the site, and let them know about multiple calls, calls after hours, etc. A political call wouldn't be using WV Dept.. of Highways as their ID, either. This is a scam! Report it to the phone company. It is illegal activity and they are required to look into it.

    ReplyDelete