“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Interesting if true.





Russia Halts Ammo Shipments To US, Financial Watchdog Website Claims

Tara Dodril,  Inquistr , 7 March 2014

ammo shortage




Russian ammo will no longer be shipped to the United States, if a report issued by Silver Doctors is accurate. The website is an economic watchdog focusing on fluctuations in the precious metals markets. American ammunition manufacturers have been working around the clock seven days a week to handle the demand created after the Sandy Hook tragedy. Concerns about both increases in ammunition prices and availability began occurring after federal and state gun control regulations were proposed.
Ammo shortages for some popular calibers were reportedly alleviated slightly due to Russian imports. The 7.62 ammo is used in the AK-47 semi-automatic weapon. Either real or perceived shortages of Russian ammo are now causing bullets made in the Vladimir Putin’scountry to vanish off store shelves.
An excerpt from the Silver Doctors report reads:
“The largest wholesale gun & ammo distributors in the US have informed us in private conversation today that a massive scramble is on for all 7.62 as Russia has reportedly halted all exports to the US of Russian made ammunition. Our distributor source informed us that yesterday they had several hundred thousand rounds of Russian made 7.62 TulAmmo, and after receiving word early today on the halt of Russian exports to the US, they have been completely wiped out of every last round in the past 10 hours.”
Russian ammo is expected to be as hard to find as 22L ammo has been during the past 12 months in the coming days. Prices of ammunition made in Russia are expected to soar and purchase limits put in place at some retailers, just as happened during the great ammo shortage of 2013. Regular American citizens are not the only gun owners who commonly use Russian ammunition. Last summer a solicitation on the Federal Business Opportunities website (a government run website) sought vendors who could provide 2,550,000 rounds of 7.62x39mm ball ammo, 575,000 blank round of the same ammo, and 425,000 rounds of 9x18mm Makarov ball ammo – all Russian made bullet calibers.
According to the advertisement on the government website, the Army intended to store the Russian ammo round at the Blue Grass Army Depot in Kentucky and at Camp Stanley in Texas. The solicitation also noted that the calibers were not standard issue to either the United States military or NATO forces.

Link to original story.


Link to a blog that says this is untrue.

8 comments:

  1. It's tough knowing what to believe anymore when it comes to ammo shortages, and BTW, that was a good post earlier this week that you did said ammo shortages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tough. I basically go with what I see myself, or people whom I trust tell me. I do tend to give validity to news articles from established organizations or news agencies, which is sometimes a risky thing.

      I'm afraid I didn't learn much on my topic concerning ammo imports, but I have written to my two Senators and my Representative, and one of the Senators has in the past been good about having a staffer help me ferret out things I'm interested in.

      Delete
  2. All speculation at this point, including my own: It is rather plausible that it is our own President that quietly shuts off the Russian ammo pipeline. "Never let a crisis go to waste", as Alinski said-- and so in order to get back at the Russians you deceptively carry out (continue) your anti-gun agenda by disrupting ammo imports.

    If it really happens, Americans can blame Putin for it...but some of us will know better.

    I had a feeling this might happen a few years ago when I was trying to decide between a 7.62 or 5.56 rifle. I'd like to think I made the right decision. Time will tell. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we import very much from Russia, so if the Russian government wanted to do something of a symbolic nature, they might refuse export licenses for ammo going to the U.S. I wonder about that though, since the Russians are practical and pragmatic people. That would be a real case of cutting off your nose to spit your face. I'd be more inclined to think of that as something our lame brain politicians would do. Clinton banned Russian arms from being imported, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Obama do something similar with ammo to "support the Ukranians." I haven't heard of any such action yet but as you say, it's not like D.C. to let a crisis get by without wringing some Machiavellian deed from it.

      I have both AK47 and AR-15 weapons, but I also have enough ammo for both stored that I'm not really worried for my own sake about ammo shortages. It could be tough on younger people though.

      Delete
  3. Assuming this includes PP ammo from the Ukraine/Serbia that will suck. I agree with Troy above it wouldn't surprise me to find out the hold up is actually from our side of the pond though, and includes all the old Eastern Block areas. Personally I don't buy any of the Wolf or Bear stuff because I only buy brass or nickle cased ammo and no one ever seems to carry the high end Bear, wolf or Tula stuff. The only exception I have ever made was the 54r ammo and I never shoot that caliber only bought it for deep deep storage and I have enough already.

    I would like to pick up some surplus Nagant pistol rounds though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw another article that specifically addressed Privi Partisan, but I don't see how the Russians could tell the Serbians not to sell their product. The Serbs are big Russian allies but they don't have much in the way of industry which earns them hard currency. Ammo has been one of their success stories since the Balkan wars and I can't imagine they'd be foolish enough to ignore their primary market here. I have shot a lot of Wolf, and I bought lots of "Silver Bear" in the period 2000-2008 because I was getting it wholesale. You can't reload it, I know, but it was very cheap and it was good quality. The Wolf was a little dirty but I can clean a weapon so that didn't fuss me any. Golden Bear is hard to find, I think I might have five boxes total. Southern Ohio Guns has the Nagant pistol ammo for five buck a box of 18, or did last time I checked. There's some outfit in Shotgun News selling the same ammo for $8.00 a box. It's 1970's production Russian sporting ammo, soft steel casings. Somebody, and I think it's Graf and Sons, has reloadable brass cased ammo for the pistol but I didn't even buy the die set for the Nagant, I can't imagine ever reloading it. I have some good brass a guy sent me though if you decide to reload that chambering you can have it.

      Delete
  4. Money is money and Tuluammo isn't about to cut its on throat. http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-7-62x39mm-ammo-762x39123grfmjpmc-500

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Russians are too sensible to do something like that. But, if Putin got mad enough he might cut us off to send a signal. There are a lot of shooters here who use Russian ammo. For the life of me, I can't see what our politicians are getting into such a swat about over the Ukraine, while the Iranians quietly go about their business of building the bomb. I mean, are there no priorities up there or is it all about face time on tv?

      Delete