“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Living Ready Magazine and Store

Before events here went off the tracks last week, I was working on a review of this new magazine. I'd been trying to find a copy,  but they aren't carried by our local grocery store. I could have driven to Chattanooga, since Barnes and Nobles has them, but in the end I just bought the digital edition.

The first thing I learned was that their magazines are actually not their primary business. The magazines are ancillary to their preparedness oriented mail order business.  Most of what I saw offered there was practical and looked high end. That means the gear was not cheap, either in terms of cost or as regards the quality of the goods.  I saw some things I could use and at some point I'm sure I'll buy something and see how it works out.


There have only been four editions of the magazine released to this point.  Each is tuned to one of the seasons.  I bought one edition first, the most current. Then, having read that one and found it to be very good, I bought the others.

The cost was $5.75 each, and you get unlimited downloads. That's good if , like me, you use more than one digital device for your on line reading. I have both a Kindle and a PC, and being able to download the magazines to both devices was very convenient.  It also means that if I inadvertently delete some of my files, which has happened, I can restore them without trouble.





The Living Ready magazines are not really typical survivalist magazines.  They cover the same topics, but it seemed to me the articles were more professionally written than is normal.  Many of them are excerpts from new books being published, and some were from books that have been on the shelves for awhile.  I like book excerpts because they let me decide if I want to buy the book itself.  The excerpts tend to be better written and more polished than one off magazine articles as a rule, so the reading is more enjoyable.

Another feature that I really enjoyed was the inclusion of first person accounts related to survival situations.  Most survival magazines are very heavy on theory and philosophy but short on examples of practical application.  The Living Ready magazines don't suffer from that defect.   They also have an outstanding book review section that was very well done. Some of the books I own, some I had not heard of, but that's the whole point of the book review.  It gives you an idea of what's out there on topic that you might want to add to your own professional library.


I know from reading blogs that many survivalists and preppers are very interested in having their own gardens, canning and preserving their own food, and other matters related to agriculture. Although I am not knowledgeable about these things, I am trying to learn more.  I liked the fact that Living Ready magazines devote a lot of space to these subjects, and the articles are concise and full of actionable information.  This spring, if spring ever really comes, I'm going to try some of their suggestions on a garden. I have already gotten some good advice from others who blog and who are good at growing food, and this magazine information will augment that source and increase my chances of success.

All in all, I'm glad I took the trouble to run down this outfit, and I look forward to a great deal of interesting reading and good information from them in the future.

Living Ready Store and magazine


6 comments:

  1. I may have to check it out wonder f you can get it on the Nook as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm starting to get all my magazines digitally if they are available, it's easier to manage than stacks of paper copies.

      Delete
  2. As if I don't have enough material to read....Seems I've some credit at Amazon so might give one copy a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm starting to get all my magazines digitally if they are available, it's easier to manage than stacks of paper copies.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you liked the magazine. I like doing the canned goods and gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot in the magazine on those subjects, but I think in the case of yourself and some of the other ladies, there is little in that regards that you don't already know. Still, the articles are interesting.

      Delete