“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Nor will my retaining wall be repaired in a day.  I spent hours out there doing some preparatory work.  I don't work in my sixties the way I did in my twenties and thirties. I get tired. So, I stop and have a diet coke.  Then I work some more. Then I stop and smoke my pipe. Then I work a little more.  I have time, and this is something that I can take some time to do. No reason to make an ordeal out of it. I try to enjoy every day, or at least get something good out of every day.

I read an article on neck splits in British .303  reloaded ammo.  If the head space is right, that shouldn't be happening, but the man writing the piece said that surplus ammunition, i.e. military ammunition is often only good for one shot because it was never intended to be reloaded. I have fired British, Iraqi, and Greek .303 British. The Greek stuff is really good, as good as commercial, and it's Boxer primed.  The other was not worth reloading and was Berdan primed anyway.

The weather here today was superb, in the seventies.  Last night it got down to 44 and it was the first night since early December I have not had to run some kind of heat in the outbuildings and in the house. I hope it stays nice. It's easier to be upbeat and positive when the weather is not so brutal.  When you get older, you have to make a conscious effort not to let anything get you depressed, because that's a slippery slope.

Tomorrow is a paperwork day.  I have to finish some reports for my accountant , the last little items before she can tell me how my taxes are looking for this year. Having worked for 20 years as an accountant perhaps it seems I should do my own taxes. But that's like a doctor trying to diagnose himself.  Better indeed to have your accountant represent you at an audit, if you get one, than to go and try to represent yourself. That's like trying to represent yourself in court. You can do it but it's not very intelligent.

I also have to mail some books tomorrow, if I'm not too tired to drive all the way into town and all the way back. That gets pretty tiring.  Besides, it isn't cheap.  Gas was $3.19 a gallon yesterday, and $3.27 today. That's at the cheap gas station, too. It's a lot higher at the "brand name" stations.

So that's how things went today. Not very inspirational or inspiring, but it was still a good day.

12 comments:

  1. I have actually reloaded some berdan primed cases (Like 3 lol) by converting them over to boxer. It worked but it took forever. I just wanted to see if it was possible. What I don't think is possible anymore is re-making primers unless you have the really old matches I don't think the chemical make up of the new matches will ignite off the anvil in the primers.

    I hear what your saying about the work/rest ratio I do the same thing myself and the ratio falls the older I get :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially on nice days. It feels good to just sit in the sunshine, and listen to the birds in the woods.

    I never had any luck with reloading berdan primed cases. I paid a lot (by my standards) for a berdan decapping tool and it ripped the whole case head off every time. I know you can use water and dowels (I think you told me that, somebody on here did), but what a hassle. Once I got some Boxer primed 8X56R brass from Graf and Sons I didn't need to do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the old dowel and water method was what I used and it was on some .303 brass as well. I still have some of that I need to go check it out and see what it was.

      It works but not as well as some videos show of it.

      Delete
    2. I guess in dire straits it could be something to resort to but fortunately.303 British brass isn't hard to find right now. Too bad everyone but us seems to use Berden primers. I've got copious quantities of primers so I won't have to make any out of match heads. I wonder what that would do to the load data. How come you're up so late? I bet you are wracked with guilt, thinking of the pleading eyes of the lambs as you sent them to hideous deaths in exchange for filthy lunchre. They trusted you and came to you to have their little heads rubbed. :-0

      Delete
  3. Oops. That should be lucre. Can't peck things out on this Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing a similar question come up in a magazine recently. If I recall correctly, it is likely the loose chambering of the particular rifle that is causing the issues and not much can be done without rebarreling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly what the writer said. I think it was either Guns and Ammo or Hand Gun . The man said that it wouldn't hurt your rifle it just trashes the cartridge case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gas here is $3.43 a gallon, so your price is a bargain to me. Doing a little work at a time out in the sun is way better then standing inside looking out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gas in the town where my wife works is still $3.15, and though it is on the other side of the mountains, it's only about 50 miles as the crow flies. I have often wondered what the big difference in price is related to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just me doing a test on word verification.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually get gas at Kroger. I get an extra discount sometimes since I buy groceries there, and even when it hasn't added up to a discount it's still cheaper than the big name stations.
    Good luck getting your wall done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get it done, it will just take awhile.

      We have a grocery store that has a gas station, but it is always 5 cents more expensive than the cheap independent. However, if you buy groceries at the grocery store, you get 5 cents off on your gas, if the card you have works, which mine never does.

      Delete