“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Another good magazine.


I just got volume 1, issue 1 in the mail.  I had to order it, and I had to pay $3.00 in S&H plus $5.00 for the magazine.  The digital version comes out 30 days after the print edition.

The people who put this together have some heavy hitters as advertisers, and some of their articles , not surprisingly, are linked to the people buying the adds. There's nothing wrong with that though you always have to be careful when someone who advertises in a magazine has their product reviewed in the same magazine. You can see where everything might not be "Jo To" or above board.

Century International Arms has some big adds in this issue, and their Centurion 39 and C93 rifles are both the subject of laudatory articles. Personally,  I own a Century MAS 49/56,  a Century L1A1 (which I had completely rebuilt by a California company so it would be legal in original configuration), a Century Cetme and a Century G3.  I've never had any problems with any of them, so I am merely drawing your attention to the point and not making any veiled allusions to any problems with these guns.

There's an article on martial arts, and one on a very bizarre way to set up your own tornado warning system using old television sets. At first I thought it was going to be nonsense but it turned out to be pretty reasonable.

They had a good article on NBC filters, there is an interview with Ted Nugent, and an absolutely great article on shortwave with frequency charts showing some of the patriot radio stations you can pick up on HF.  I'd have paid the money for that article alone.

For the technically oriented there's an article on the difference between KI and KI03 (Potassium Iodide vrs Iodate.)  I guess I should read it again since I now live downwind of three nuclear reactors in Tennessee that weren 't there when I moved here.

For the knife fans there's a pretty thorough review of a Cold Steel survival knife. I use cheap but reliable knives from Bud K, however I have seen massive threads on the merits of one knife over another so I know the cold steel crowd is out there.

They have a great article on the Latter Day Saints (Mormon) Home Storage centers. There's good data here, and updates on some changes that effect non-Mormons.  Again, just this article could be worth many times the price of the magazine to you.

There's a lot more but I don't want this to get too long.  The magazine is very professionally done, the paper is high quality, and the adds are very useful as well as the articles. I plan to subscribe, which seems to be the only way I can get this magazine besides driving to Chattanooga which I don't do much these days.

13 comments:

  1. Noticed a copy at Wal-Mart a few days ago and passed on it. Kinda wish I'd grabbed one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ur Walmart has stopped carrying just about all their gun magazines and self sufficiency magazines. Now if I can't get it at the grocery store I have to order it. The manager is from up North somewhere and I guess he is trying to improve our cultural level because instead of gun magazines now we have Cosmopolitan (they have to put covers over the magazine cover on the rack) and New York Style. I notice they aren't moving many magazines. Our grocery store still carries the good magazines, though. Just not the ones like this one.

    April 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should be "our Walmart" not "ur Walmart." I wish I could edit my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find one on a newsstand. The second issue is due out soon.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great magazine. A little pricey but fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tad expensive when you add in the postage but I really enjoyed it. Two of the articles had immediate practical applications for me so I'm happy with the magazine. I'm always glad to find a new self sufficient lifestyle magazine.

      Delete
  6. Harry - you should be paid for the reviews that you do of all of these different magazines! we don't subscribe to any magazines only because we rarely check our mailbox - bahahahah! but through some of your reviews, you've got me thinking that we should subscribe to a few. thanks for your thorough reviews!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, hope you are feeling better after your fall. Stairs are dangerous. I have stairs in my house and I wish I didn't.

      I read a lot because it's not tiring. Everything else seems to wear me out.

      Delete
  7. I am friends with a Mormon who has a home storage system set up. She has shown it to me. It's very well organized.
    That's interesting about the tv tornado warning system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have regional food distribution centers, and they let non Mormons go in and buy the canned food. They used to let anybody can their own, but the federal government put a stop to that saying they were not complying with all the FDA regs. As if anybody could.

      The old television warning system works on the static electric field tornadoes put off. This article told how to tune an old set so that if the screen starting going from black to white, you had a tornado approaching, It was really pretty clever.

      Delete
  8. Century has imported a whole lot of guns. The quality varies widely based on what warehouse full of old guns they bought, what hoops they had to jump through to import them and which drunken monkeys they hired to assemble em on this side.

    I would surely want to physically inspect one of their weapons and if practical test fire it before purchasing. That being said many a rugged and affordable AK was imported from elsewhere, had a Century stamp put on it and is in the hands of an American who might not have 2 grand for a cool guy blessed off on fancy name rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Century has had some misadventures, usually with initial production of a new weapon. They build them out of kits, with some surplus parts and some new American parts, largely to comply with asinine government laws. The G3 rifles had some initial issues but mine functions perfectly. My L1A1 was a champion, but I hated the Clintonesque "sporter" stock so sent it to Entreprise Arms for a complete rebuild, again to comply with the moronic laws eminating from D.C., the sole purpose of which was to make guns that Feinstien and Boxer didn't think looked scarey.
    The only Century gun I ever sent back was a MAS 49/56, and it turned out nothing was wrong with the weapon, the Privi Partisan 7.54 French I was firing out of it wasn't powerful enough to cycle the weapon due to the unusual gas system on the gun. You can always return a Century gun if you are not satisfied for any reason, so in essence you do get to test it thoroughly before you keep it. Your point is well taken, lots of people either can't afford a big name manufactured rifle, or don't see the point in buying something expensive when the same items is available cheaper. I myself don't pay for "prestige" items, if I can get something that works as well or nearly as well for a more reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete