“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Just past three in the morning.

Today is my birthday.   I won't say exactly how old I am, but I was sitting on the porch tonight thinking that if I keeled over dead right now, nobody would be surprised because I'm old enough to be the age where that "just happens."  There are lots of obituaries in the county paper every week with people who croaked that were younger than I am.



There's a big moon out there tonight, lighting up the woods.  About 300 feet down from my porch there's a deep stream, about 20 feet across.  It's running high right now, because we've had a lot of rain.  I can hear the water running from the porch, and on a night like tonight, when there's no wind or any other noise out there, it's very peaceful to listen to the stream.


I was at The Other Ryan's blog, and I saw he had a song posted called "Country Boy."  At first I thought it was the old Hank Williams Jr. song I like so much, but it turned out to be one I'd never heard before. Here's the link to it if you would like to hear it.  I'd have posted it here, but it's kind of tacky to do that, so I thought I'd link to it instead of poaching it.

County Boy song on The Other Ryan's blog.

82 members of the House of Representatives have sent a letter to Obama expressing support for the Diane Feinstein effort to get him to prohibit importation of parts for guns she doesn't like, a list that is quite wide ranging.  She wants him to do this through executive order, since she can't get  the votes in the legislative branches to do it. The NRA ILA web page has the full story on that.  I've got mine, and to spare, but I feel sorry for younger people who haven't had the cash to get the guns they may need in the future. Old Diane is doing all she can to be sure they don't. That woman is like the evil witch in a fairy tale. She just goes on getting older and more wrinkled, and more evil at the same time. Will she never retire, one way or the other?  "Will no one free me of this meddlesome priest!"



The weather here has gotten nicer.  Very warm, with a lot of wind during the day.  No humidity yet but that will be here soon.  Before long, it will be like a tropical steam bath in these mountains.



 I made new box houses for the ferrets today.  I get the boxes at the grocery store in town. Ferrets like to be completely enclosed when they sleep, I suppose it's some throw back , an atavistic urge from when they lived in burrows for protection from predators.

They will sleep on the bed sometimes if I put a light blanket for them to get under, but they really prefer their boxes. In this picture Jet couldn't get in his box because Ragnar had stuffed himself in there.





This is a picture of Ragnar when he was younger, before he had health issues. He was overweight back then, as you can see. Ragnar likes to eat.  When this was taken he would do war dances and play with the other ferrets , and afterwards he would take a nap to recover. If you have never seen ferrets war dancing in a group, you haven't experienced life to the fullest.  He's doing ok right now, I think the thing on his shoulder is going down some but my wife says it isn't.

.  I have been reading a new book I got, it's excellent. Gives you the history on a weapon, then tells you how to field strip the type.



   This is an old book, published in the 1990's.  I really like it because it covers most of the firearms I have from post World War II. Lots of good photos and useful information.

All in all, yesterday was a good day.  Sunday (today) I don't plan to really do much of anything.  Just relax and rest.



38 comments:

  1. Well, a very, very happy Birthday to you, Harry. Here's wishing you an excellent day, one that is filled with everything that makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice breeze blowing today, and it's warm. I have the windows open for the first time since last Fall. It's a nice day. I'm quite content with this kind of birthday.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to you Harry, have a great day.

    I know what you are saying about age, each year I really don't feel like I am any older and then something starts to ache that never ached before!! All the best from the Great Southern Land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you're a kid, birthdays are something you look forward to. When you're middle aged, you just don't pay much attention. When you get older, you try assiduously to ignore them.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Harry. Hope your day is full of peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great so far. I haven' done a thing constructive.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! Better to be "above" ground than below it. Enjoy the warmer weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I'm hoping to make it to 85 , which is the age men in my family seem to live to.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, Harry! i hope you have a fabulous and relaxing day with your wife! and i also love to hear the sound of running water while enjoying the moon! especially while sitting in the hottub - bahahahahah! all my best wishes to you for this upcoming year...you have been such a good friend to us that i hope this coming year holds many good things for you and your family! i always love the pics of those little ferrets and from the way you describe their little dances - i want to go and get some! but i am afraid that they would eat my cats.

    i know that ferrets are smaller than cats but i have the laziest, fattest cats on the planet. trust me - the ferrets would eat them - bahahahah!

    again, buddy, Happy Birthday to a very dear friend. as always, your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, ferrets only eat ferret food so your cats would be safe. However, the ferrets would surely aggravate them to death.

      Thanks for the good wishes. It has been a nice day. Mostly I took a nap and sat on the porch watching the wind blow through the trees.

      Delete
  6. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    Glad your doing ok and I'm glad your Ferrets are providing overwatch. Ferrets make a great security detail. Maybe you can nickname them "Ferret Team Six" (Navy Seals ain't got nothing on your "Special Ferret Team")

    I have been working a lot on the beach. In the office I work in, we rent out campground spots and do other stuff. I have noticed that people under the age of 30 almost always use debit and credit cards for everything. Between the ages of 30 and 40 years, some debit, some credit and some cash.
    In the ages of 40 years old and up. Its almost always cash. I really like Senior Citizens. Their wallets all have wads of cash and they scrutinize every dollar spent!

    An individual I met yesterday, who is under 30 made this statement in regards to his generation "Our Generation has no understanding of money or finances. Its all debit cards and everyone is willing to pay fee's for the convience of using plastic and no one carries cash.

    and this the generation that will take care of me when I am an old man ????

    I think I will take a massive heart attack at age 70.

    Pass the bacon please.....


    and oh' I should have known Kymber was on of them strange cat ladies. Many years from now, I bet she will have a house full of cats:)
    Just to be fair. My life has gone to the dogs. One of the dogs, Mr. Axle the Chiwawa (I cant spell it okay:) He jumps up on the kitchen table and steal's food. Mr. Axle is a known food thief. Moppsy the "wired haired terrier, chiwawa mix" has to be held all the time. Mr.Toto (The Yorkie Mix) is a 120 pounds of dog in a ten pound package and he likes to chew on toes.

    I know I'm goofy for having 'cutesy names' for my dogs.

    On another situation....

    I have been watching what is going on in Nevada with keen interest. I just trust the Feds of course. This ain't over yet for the Bundy family yet. If any seeks further information on what will happen in the future on this subject. 'Just ask any American Indian about making 'agreements and treatie's with the Federal Government.
    Kinda reminds me of Stalin signing a certain non-aggression pack with Adolf Hitler,

    that did not last very long did it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your dogs names. The dogs themselves sound like they have a lot of personality.

      Old people can be a pain in the rear too. I sometimes find , to my horror, that I am doing "old person" things like driving slow. Maybe it's a fate you can't escape if you live.

      I think the only hope for the Bundy's is that the white collar criminals running the show out there will decide the prize isn't worth the effort and leave him alone. But I wouldn't bet on it. Like Professor Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes stories, they sit behind the scenes, in the dark, pulling the strings but never risking themselves.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. Another day in paradise.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks DFW, it has been a nice day so far. Quiet and peaceful.

      Delete
  9. Well happy birthday Harry. You should get yourself a nice birthday present today I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rationalized buying those books and videos I ordered last week as my "birthday present." So I got that base covered. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Have a great birthday Harry, love the ferret pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jet the ferret is chewing on my house slippers as I write this. They are good company. In a minute I might put a board across the exit to the porch and let him run around out there for a bit. This has been a good birthday, nothing aggravating has happened. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday! Hope it was a good one.
    I have never seen ferrets war dance. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try to find a video of ferrets war dancing and post it. I don't have a video camera, just the one on my Kindle and I can't use it for much more than posts and skype.

      It's been a good day so far.

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday, Harry, and many more. I want to see ferret happy dances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try to find a video of ferrets war dancing and post it. Maybe I should buy myself a video camera (are they still called that) for my birthday.

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday, my friend. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, it's beautiful up here today. Breezy and warm. I sat out on the porch in a cane rocker and flat dozed off.

      Delete
  14. " This is an old book, published in the 1990's."
    Ouch! Speaking of feeling old.

    Remember when the year 2000 was considered the distant flying-car future?

    Happy birthday, man....wish I knew ahead of time so I coulda sent you something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Birthday Greetings are enough. I appreciate them, honestly.

      Yes, I do remember all the wonderful things that we would have by the turn of the century. Didn't quite work out the way the futurists expected though.

      Delete
  15. hey harry!

    happy birthday buddy - you take the day for yourself and enjoy!

    all my best!

    your friend,
    jambaloney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, J. Thanks for the good wishes. Don't work yourself to death up there, you two have to stop and smell the roses sometimes. Keep Kymber off those stairs!

      Delete
  16. Thanks, Kathy. It has been a nice day. Warm and breezy, and quiet. Couldn't ask for more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday!!

    It is a pretty nice season here in Louisiana. Seventies and generally sunny without too much humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The only good thing about a birthday is hearing from friends. I'm glad the humidity isn't bad there yet. It will be soon enough. But every nice day without it is a gift to be enjoyed, here or there.

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday, I hope your day was all you wanted it to be. I shoveled snow in your honor, I'll be in shorts tonight. Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day, Max. I saw you had some snow up your way.

      Delete
  19. A happy belated birthday wish for you. Don't let the numbers fool you, its just a number, the miles are the things which matter. Turning 50 last year for me was pretty painless, that is when the classic 'Holy Crap - where did my Life go?' thoughts occur, lol.

    Hope the cake and company around the table was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, it's just my wife and I here now, so we didn't have a birthday party. We did when the kids were home, though.

      I wish I could live forever but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. ;-)

      Delete