“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Tax Day

Went to town and paid more taxes.  Lots more.  It would be nice to say that I thought the money was going to good works, or to support something I approved of or believed in, but I'm not that delusional.


I hate handing over the money I worked for to the government. There are a lot of things I could do around this place with that money, or for my kids.  But if you don't pay, the IRS can put a lien on everything you have, garnish your wages, sell you out, and you wind up in jail or living in a cardboard refrigerator box under the overpass.  Not much of a choice.


Watched Lou Dobbs on CNN tonight. He had two ritzy lady lawyers on there. New York or LA types. Dobbs was really pounding the government actions in relation to the Bundy ranch.  The lawyers said that what Mr. Bundy was doing was "against the law."  Nothing else mattered to them. Didn't matter that it was a bad law, or that Bundy's family had been on that same land since 1870, before there even was a BLM and before that land was taken over by the "feds."  Didn't matter that Harry Reid was entangled with his son in some shenanigans with a Chinese company that had been considering building a solar plant out there. Didn't matter that the judge in the case was a vassal of Harry Reid.  When Dobbs tried to press them on these things, one of them said "Hey, back off. We're the lawyers here!"  Roland Freisler would be so proud of those two.  Didn't matter to them whether a law was wrong or right.  The main stream media is working overtime explaining all about how good old Harry and his son were working with the Chinese, but that was all BEFORE this happened of course, just a coincidence, as was the fact that the Governor of Nevada and the federal judge were both Reid's toadies.

Somebody needs to read All the Kings Men again.





Henry VI, part II, iv. 2
Dick: First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers!


Robert A. Heinlein:  "No man is bound to obey an unconstitutional law."


Robert A. Heinlein: "If you obey a law just because it is a law, that's a pretty good sign it shouldn't be a law."



Robert A. Heinlein "There comes a time when a moral man can't obey a law which his conscience tells him is unjust."

No wonder I always liked his books.  Starship Troopers is my favorite.


Leaving decadence, decay, corruption, and tyranny behind for a moment.....

Ragnar is not looking too good.  He had a really bad night last night, which meant I didn't get any sleep. I guess I was fooling myself about his shoulder looking better.  Friday we will see what the doctor says.

Rowena



Chloe



Jasmine and Faye



It has rained all day.  Never got above 38 and the weather forecast says it's going to fall below freezing into the twenties tonight. I'm burning the heater and listening to the wind blowing outside. Bad news for all the people who got their crops planted or folks that grow fruit.

Another day behind me.





14 comments:

  1. Taxes suck and they are only gonna get worse. Ya know the layers all keep saying the Bundy's lost int he courts but they just never seem to bring up the part in the Constitution that says the only land the Federal government is allowed to own in Washington DC.

    Oh and I found this little clip on Youtube showing another use for Ferrets :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVNgmJ4tIpo

    It's all trick photography though no Ferrets were actually harmed in the filming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing that when I watched the movie with my wife. I never figured out why they thought to put that in there. Maybe Rowlin's is afraid of weasels. She is kind of a weasel herself, though, so probably not.

      I think this whole thing came up because Reid wanted to make a lot of money off the Chinese. When the deal fell through, he found out it was easier to start something than to stop it so he just let it go.

      Delete
  2. I hope everything goes ok at the doctor! Your ferrets look like my cats when there is a heat source! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferrets like to be warm and snug. That's one of many attributes they share with cats.

      Delete
  3. Corrected for spelling and grammar (hey it's still early for me)

    This whole thing is bordering on the stupid. Most of these talking heads haven't read Article 1 sections 8 and 9 of the Constitution, as PP alluded to. Most all rush to point out the tax issue. I just don't see how that if a federal agency unlawfully, unconstitutionally owns a piece of land that someone can legally owe taxes on it to the federal government. Bundy has said that if he owes the state of Nevada he'd pay them. If it's somehow not that simple I don't understand why Judge Napolitano supports the Bundy's. BTW, he's a former federal judge who advises on Fox News, for those from other countries and those who don't watch Fox News.

    I mean it's just getting flat out painful watching these idiots always running their mouths about something based on a false premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're primarily people from the upper echelons of society. The upper crust has never been renown for their knowledge of American history, or their respect for anything but money. Yet they're the only one's with the cash to buy offices , so we get a government by and for a detached and mercenary segment of our society. The rest of us who aren't "players" don't count.

      Delete
  4. I hope the doc's checkup on Ragnar goes well.

    I've tried not to get too involved in the Nevada disaster. We are glad that people supported and stood up for what they believe in. Unfortunately what I see are a lot of phone shot videos that disgust me on how both sides were acting at the 'barricades'.

    I think it would be better to show up somewhere in mass and not say anything, just stand there in protest (or hold up your signs). All the name calling and chest thumping... pass, it gives a lot of us good people a bad name (or worse than we already are imagined). Then again, I'm such a minority in so many aspects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in this case passive resistance would not have prevailed. The BATF would have just ignored the people , rounded up the cattle, and left. Sometimes more stringent measures are called for, and I think this was one of them.

      Delete
  5. Our taxes was a wash. nothing in, no refund. ZERO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate gathering everything for taxes. What a pain in the ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty lucky because I use Quickbooks to do all my personal accounting, and I keep everything like receipts carefully organized in files all year long. It's having worked in accounting for 20 years. But I hate paying with a vengeance, all the more because it's extortion and they use my money for stupid or evil things.

      Delete
  7. Harry - i hope little Ragnar gets some good treatment tomorrow and gets better. i worry about the little guy...but i worry more for you. much love to you and all of yours.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two of us will be ok. We are tough guys!

      Delete