“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, May 19, 2014

Three days of rain, low clouds, and cold.

This has been a very strange three days.   The "Year of Bizarre Weather" continues.  It should be in the 70's or 80's here by day, sunny and relatively dry.  Instead, it's been getting down into the low forties at night, and no higher than the mid fifties during the day.  If we don't have rain clouds drizzling on us, we have low clouds on the mountain top that make it seem like we're living in a dense fog.  I've had a fire burning in the fireplace for the last 72 hours, non stop.

None of the work I had scheduled for outside got done. My wife says it won't matter to wait a week, but I told her we already waited a week, now this will be two unproductive weeks due to rain. She isn't concerned but then, she doesn't worry about things like maintenance anyway.

The Discovery Channel show I liked about people living in the American deserts is over. No Man's Land Season one was reasonably successful so I hope there will be a season two. On the other hand, I have stopped watching Dual Survival. As much as I like Cody Lundin, it's just getting too infantile. Whether all the childish behavior is real, or contrived by the producers, I don't need it. It reminds me too much of teaching 5th graders.



Tonight I watched Alaskan Bush People, off the grid.  This is a reality show with this setting. Some 36 years ago, a man and his new wife headed into the bush, built a home, and started a family.  Unfortunately, they were on public land and the feds eventually found them, seized their cabin, and burnt it.  One might be inclined to doubt this scenario, but I have read in The Cold Man Cometh that this exact same thing happened to the author and his family.

So, the story goes, the Brown family headed further north, bought five acres, and are trying to relocate. Seems plausible to me.  For one thing, although they seem like nice people, it's clear nobody has ever been near an orthodontist, and precious few visits to the dentist have been made. The family consists of the patriarch, the matriarch, five boys and two girls.  The older girl would be quite attractive if she had been afforded decent dental care as a kid.  Some of the boys are a bit quirky and I think there are some learning disabilities/ attention deficit disorders in there. They were all homeschooled by the mother, who is extremely articulate and seems to have had a good education somewhere in her past.

If you accept at face value that they were all raised in the bush, and that contacts with other people have been intermittent , that would explain a lot of the behavior.


I went to the Discovery Channel to see what else I could learn about these folks. Once I found the right web page, I was taken aback at how vehemently they are being attacked by people who don't like the show. "White Trash" is one of the kinder bits of name calling I saw there.  I'd say they are different, but the people using that term clearly don't know what it means.  People who work hard, keep their word, and stick together as a family are not "White Trash."  It's a free country and I would think those people who were so derogatory about the show would simply not watch it anymore. I hope so, anyway.

One thing I didn't like about the program is this odd function they have where people email in comments which are posted on the screen during the show.  I'm aggravated enough that television channels now feel compelled to put their logo's right across the bottom right of the screen after I pay for the programming. I certainly don't want to have to read "bobblehead32's" thoughts on the show as I'm watching it. I do not consider that progress.

The third show is on Tuesday night. The first two are replaying on Discovery Channel for the next two days at intervals. If you are at loose ends, it might be worth watching one and seeing what you think.

20 comments:

  1. Leftist attack anyone who is White and not embracing Dieversity openly. Honestly they would call you or I trash as well. I just think of it as a badge of honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not more than once, to my face. That's the deadliest insult you can hit somebody with here. I think people throw the term around without knowing what it means. I notice you mostly hear it these days over the internet, when someone is posting a comment with a fake name.

      I wouldn't want my daughter marrying into this family, because the life style is too limiting. But they are a long way from being W.T., at least as far as I can determine from 2 hours of a reality show. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I would agree but to the common garden variety, bottled water drinking, big city Lefty there isn't any difference. Hell I bet anyone who owns more than one firearm is White trash to them.

      Delete
    3. Well, as far as that crowd is concerned, you know what they say about people who can't take a joke.

      Delete
  2. I think I would like this programme. I cant get that here I don't think. I cant get the history channel either as I think I have to pay for that and I wanted to watch the Vikings. it looks excellent. maybe it will show on a different channel.

    Saw a shorter version of this advert and thought of you,

    http://www.youtube.com/user/petsathomeonline

    A ferret on the train. I seem them on the Tube quite often. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Glock Mom knows a way to watch Vikings on the internet, although the few times I have tried to watch English shows here they were blocked. I will ask her about it.

      I learned how to start the foundation of a cabin from watching the show. I'm always greedy for new information, even if there's little chance I'll be able to put it into practice myself. You never know.

      I'm going to check out that URL right now.

      I heard from a person who had a business once and she had a ferret "on staff" who guarded the feed sacks at night. I thought that was really great. I'd put one of mine out in the barn with the stored feed but I'm sure he'd escape into the forest and that would be the end of him. Cats work better for me in that respect.

      Delete
    2. Sol, I went to the URL and it was all about different pets but there were no ferrets on a train. I googled ferrets on a train for their site, and came up dry. So I googled it on the whole net and it was all training videos about potty boxes and biting, etc. Could there be more to the url?

      Delete
  3. Post office drop off anything interesting yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. But it takes a while for packages to get from Atlanta, up here to the mountains, and then from the town way out here to "the backside of nowhere" as my post lady calls my place. Ever so often she asks me why I don't get a post office box in town to save the trouble. My answer is always "it wouldn't save me any trouble." The operative word is "me."

      Delete
    2. I ask because the tracking info says it was 'out for delivery' on the 17th.

      Delete
  4. oh and I forgot, not to show off, but it is 25 oC here today. I don't know what that is in old money. Too warm for an office with no air con and a Team who don't want the window open as they were 'cold'... What? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still cool here today but the weather people say that by tomorrow it will start to dry out and be more seasonable.

      Your office has no air! That's rough because London can get warm now and then.

      Delete
  5. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    There is a "El Nino" effect gong on right now on the equator west of Mexico and that's what is causing the chaotic weather we have right now. Down here in South Texas its a little cooler than usual and the water temp in the Gulf of Mexico is also about 5 to 8 degree's cooler than its supposed to be for this time of year.

    The last El Nino was in Spring, 1997. Surfers down here were still in wetsuits in early May and the weather (and surf) was nuts off the California coast. There were several other El Nino's back in the 1980's, and one in the early 90's. This is not the end of the world, just another chapter in normal global climate change that's been happening for four and half billion years.

    As per that family in Alaska and all the negative comments on the web. This just is another example of the social and cultural "Balkenization" of America that will lead to our decline and possible massive internal strife.
    The mentality of city people looking down too and belittling country people increasing. Any one who goes against the grain of the cultural "collective" of urban Americans is considered backward. This includes groups like the Amish, to the "Bundy Family" in Nevada and anyone who challenges the collective and chooses the right to be an individual.

    I personally have gone against social and cultural norms and have been "shunned" by the collective for being the type of individual that I am. I will always be an "individualist" and not a "collectivists" I choose this way of thinking because I am a "free man" in what is supposed to be a "free country"

    It would be interesting if "Henry David Thoreau" was still alive and someone from some tv network did a tv show on him and how he lived. I could just imagine the comments on the website of the that tv network.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, there is certainly a great deal of pressure to conform to society's norm. It starts in preschool and continues as long as you live. We all get manipulated into being conformists to some extent because the government can use laws and taxes to punish the recalcitrant. It's a matter of degree. Most people today are cradle to grave drones, but there are still some people out there trying to make their own decisions and have some element of control over their own lives.

      Delete
  6. It's been cold in Nebraska. In fact last week there was a freeze advisory for plants. Lucky we just got tomatoes. Certainly odd weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was better here. Sunshine and near seventy. The prognosis for the weekend looks good if it actually pans out. I don't even have tomatoes to be concerned about so my lack of gardening activity is good in that respect.

      Delete
  7. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)

    I found an interesting article on max velocity's website you may want to read. It gave some good points of view on mental conditioning for combat as well as mental conditioning for "concealed carry holders"

    Harry, you may want to read this. Kinda goes along with what you talked about in the past.

    here's the link.

    http://www.maxvelocitytactical.com/2014/05/mental-preparation-for-combat/

    I kinda use this thought process for many, many years now. I don't believe in getting into a fight unless I have no choice and it is a moral imperative, or to save a life. I don't believe in "false bravado" and anyone looking forward to getting into a fight or combat is either inexperienced or just downright stupid.

    Example. Several years ago some idiot in my area robbed a convienence store with a brick. The idiot threatened the store clerk with a big red brick and the clerk gave him the money and the idiot dropped the brick and ran out the door. If I was in that store and I was carrying concealed. I would have been on "red alert" ready to draw, but I would have waited to see if the idiot would have carried through with the threat or just ran off with the money and no one got hurt.
    Now if the idiot with the brick would have lifted the brick to hit the clerk on the head 'to crush the skull" of the clerk, I would have to draw and open fire and kill the idiot.
    Moral of the story is, sometimes the fight's not worth the trouble.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in 28 years of carrying, I've had to demonstrate that I had a pistol exactly twice, and I've never fired it in anger. But those two times, it truly saved my bacon.

      I'll take a look at that url, sounds interesting.

      Delete
  8. Its been cool here in MN. 78 yesterday but cool the next few days. The farmers are getting out, not sure how far behind they are in planting. I saw a few minutes of this show. i would like to watch more. I too found the comments unnecessary, but seems to be the norm these days..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that. Even a bland news article on CNN or Fox will be followed by frothing, ranting comments. While some of these are undoubtedly juveniles, you have to wonder about the others.

      Delete