“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Mother Earth News


  Some time ago, I mentioned Mother Earth News, in a rather off hand manner, when I was writing about survivalist oriented magazines.

I have been out of my general area for a little trip recently, and had the chance to plunder through a good bookstore.

Although I did not know it, Mother Earth News also publishes what they call their "Series" magazines.

These are apparently collections of articles all of which deal with the same subject. I saw some of the magazines, and they looked to me like they would be very useful if you garden, use solar power, do your own canning or are interested in the nuts and bolts of living off  the grid.

This magazine has changed dramatically since the 1970's, when it was all about how to make Love Beads out of different beans, how to build a yurt, how to grow marijuana, and other Flower Power subjects. It's grown up now, and is dealing with reality.

I'm going to look into it and see if they offer their "series" on CD.  If they do, I'm going to try to buy them assuming they are reasonably priced.  Computers and tablets have made it so much easier to obtain and utilize anthologies and related publications. I would never have ordered all the paper magazines but CD works for me as a reference source.

9 comments:

  1. Cool - thanks for the info. Please - let us know if they are available on CD ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will Dani. I will let you know what I find out. By the way, I liked the new additions to your homestead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harry :) They are brilliant LOL

      Delete
  3. I never knew what a yurt was until a couple of years ago, from Mother Earth. I'd like to stay in one sometime to see what it's like. We have the cd with the regular magazines on it, I don't know if they have the special ones included or not. The best thing we learned was the lasagna gardening to make soil where you start with dirt, add layers of leaves, straw, horse or cow poop, chicken poop, etc. Also, if you let your chickens have the straw first, they eat all the seed so it doesn't sprout as much in your garden. I like Mother Earth and also Grit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the Discovery Channel series "Where the wild men are" there was a couple in Alaska who lived in a yurt. It looked pretty cozy.

      I never heard of Grit, I'll look it up on the net.

      I have never been a big fan of Mother Earth News but clearly I need to rethink that.

      Delete
  4. We subscribed to Mother Earth News for a while, but just don't have time to read all the magazines. I really liked their magazine and it was a cheaper subscription. They have a section towards the front that is all sorts of tips people sent in. I always found it interesting, and I loved the yurts! I've wanted one ever since I picked up the first magazine, but they are expensive!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,

      I lived in tents, sometimes for months at a time and I always equated yurts with that less than pleasant military experience. Then I saw the inside of a yurt on a Discovery Channel shoe and was very favorably impressed.

      I spend a lot of time reading. At my age, I can work awhile then I rest awhile.

      Delete
  5. Harry,
    Coincidentally, the archive is on sale. I just received an email on a 50 percent off offer.
    http://motherearthnews.shopgate.com/item/37323130

    Best,
    Havenseeker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip. One of the things I need to do this weekend is try to run down what's on the CD's and what they want for a full set. Or, possibly just for the last twenty years as before that, they were not really tuned to my interests. I appreciate the heads up.

      Delete