“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, July 10, 2014

To market, to market, to buy a fat pig. Home again, home again, jiggidy jig.

Do kids still sing that rhyme in school?  Probably not.

I have had enough driving to last me for awhile.  Tennessee was really nice.  Once you get to Chattanooga it's built up a bit but the drive is through the country.   I was really pressed for time, didn't even stop at the huge gun store in Benton, TN.

I did manage to keep my appointment, go to the Barnes and Noble and buy three books and a magazine.  Stayed in an "ok" hotel, it was a bit spartan for my tastes and not quite how "Priceline.com" painted it. Also cost me more than they said it would, but not much.  Good thing I had a reservation, the entire town was booked up for whatever reason.

Now I'm back home.  I don't imagine I'll be taking any more overnight trips for awhile.

I saw some interesting billboards by the road as I drove through Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee. Here are a few of them.








9 comments:

  1. Never heard that phrase in my life.

    Glad you made it back safe though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember singing that song in Madam Moiselle's kindergarten along with a bunch of other old time kids songs nobody knows now. How about "the itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout" or "froggy went a ' courtin'".

    I had a good time. I need to do something like that more often, but just skip setting up any meetings with people so I can have a good time and not have any responsibilities. Just go somewhere for the hell of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have heard the spider one... I answered out of politeness the damned filter is stressful and I hate it.

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    we have a "Liquor and Guns" in a small town South West of San Antonio.

    The gun store is next door to the liquor store (same owner, different stores)

    Tennesee looks like an interesting place. I wonder if they are as 'uncivilized' as your average rural Texan. If so, I may have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total memory recall on all fluor rhymes mentioned. I'm obviously showing my age... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's ok. We lived in the Golden Age, just too bad it can't be as nice for the younger set as it was for us. Those were all classics.

      Delete
  5. One thing we missed out on during our move back home last year was stopping to smell the roses. I would have liked to stop and see the Jack Danial's place and a few others The most fun we had was in Iowa when I missed the turn someplace for the Interstate and we ended out in farm country, two lane highway. we got lost but found our way to MN after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a center that has Ruby's Guns next to Lucas Liquor that is next to Show Biz Pizza/Chucky Cheese. It used to have a KMART too but that closed. Gun billboards are pretty common here. I too know the To Market, To Market. It was some kind of children's poem in books when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone remembers it. In the 1950's it was the usual practice in Southern elementary schools for the teacher to read a story or book to the kids for a little while. Then we all sang songs and did nusery rhymes. All that is long since gone by the board now.

      Wow! You can get your medicine, your guns and ammo and a pizza at that place. That's a good set up.

      I hope your husband is feeling better. Sorry you all had to go through that ordeal.

      Delete