“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Weekends are still special.

  I think it's because psychologically, I don't feel compelled to work or accomplish something on weekends. Now that I'm retired, there's really no difference between the days of the week. I still find it easier to relax on weekends.

  Normally, this being Saturday, I'd be going into town. But I'm not really in need of anything from town, and it's not worth making that long drive just to have a hamburger and french fries at the cafe.  So today I'll  stay around the place. It's nice outside, cool and breezy. In a bit I'll go out to my table under the trees and smoke my pipe for a bit. Anything that needs doing, doesn't need it urgently and can be held in abeyance  until Monday.




I have been waiting a long time for this book to be available. It was supposed to be out months ago. It's not listed on Amazon, which usually means it is not released yet.

Buffalo Bullet Company says they have it for $54.00, but I have found in the past that small companies like that are sometimes less than completely honest about in stock issues. They want you to pay for the book so you will buy it from them, so they say they have it when they don't. I usually try to buy from Amazon if I can because they don't do that kind of thing.  What's special about this book is that it doesn't just give information on the weapon, but it gives load data.  Something people don't realize is the fact that a gun with a gas system may not operate properly with every load.  You can destroy the operating rod on an M1 Garand by firing too powerful a load in it. My MAS 49 / 56 is so temperamental it will only operate on special loads or French military surplus ammo.  I do have load data from regular reloading manuals for my guns, but Mike Venturino is well known in the firearms world, and I'd like to have his book. The load data is a great extra.

8 comments:

  1. Mike Venturino lives down the road from here. I've met him a few times at the Bozeman show. The thing that jumped out most about him to me was that he was at a gun show happily selling all the samples and specials that the industry folks had sent him to evaluate. He used to be the 'expert' on the old stuff like Sharps and Winchesters...then he got a wild bug up his butt, he sold all his cowboy stuff and got heavy into WW2 guns. Nice enough guy, I supppose, but in later years he seemed to get a little full of himself and I detected a bit of ...self-interest....in products he was reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that with celebrity comes the risk of hubris. I have some of his cowboy gun books, and many of his articles in the magazines I keep. He writes well and often has new photos I haven't seen before, period shots that add to the text. Anybody who writes for magazines and does reviews is going to wind up prostituting themselves. Magazines require revenue. Most of it doesn't come from magazine sales, but from advertising .So who is going to pan a product from a big ticket advertiser? I never put much faith in product reviews if I see that the magazines also prints adds for that outfit. Still, I'm anxious to have this book. It's a strong interest of mine, and if it costs a little bit more than most, so be it.

      Delete
  2. That was always a worry when I had an M1 Garand. Mostly stuck to surplus ammo for that gun though I think it did get a box of winchester white box at some point. I imagine plain old standard '06 ammo would likely be fine in all but the highest round counts (and then figuring they are 60 year old guns how much use do you expect em to take. Even well maintained if I framed 2 or 3 houses with Grandpa's 60 year old hammer and it broke I'd say we got our money worth) though I can see how even a few rounds of really hot ammo could do that gun in.

    Now I have standard rifles that can shoot any sane loads without problems. My only picky gun is a little .22lr pistol that only feeds CCI Mini Mag or CCI Velocitor ammo. I Both have been unicorn bullets for almost 2 years though right at the beginning of Firearmagedon I was able to secure about 500 rounds of the Mini Mags.

    It will not feed any other type of .22lr ammo I have tried which is frustrating because I have plenty of normal .22lr ammo but since every other gun I have is an equal opportunity eater I stocked the more affordable bulk pack stuff.

    Thankfully due to the guns concept of use that is plenty of ammo. Shooting a couple mags now and then for practice and reserving the rest for shots fired in desperate anger I am unlikely to run out of the stuff. Though if/ when .22lr comes back I will buy a case or two of it as well as a lot more of the bulk stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two .22LR pistols that won't fire standard American ammo, with ungreased cases, worth a damn. One is a North American Arms P-38 clone , the other is a Stoeger Luger clone. Yet they will both feed European waxed or greased cased ammo all day long. Fortunately for me, I bought a case of Russian .22LR many years ago, and it was waxed. Since it makes a mess and is hard to clean up, I only use it in those two guns that have to have it. One reason I'm a big believer in shooting your carry gun periodically is to ensure that it will function well with the ammo you are using. As you know, I only shoot ball out of my guns, because I know it will feed. Hollow points, I have for some of my newer guns like the Sig P226, but the old guns just don't have the throats and feed ramps to handle hollow points, which didn't exist when the guns were designed.

      The Garand is robust, and probably not as susceptible to damage as people make it seem, but just the knowledge that I could damage it with the wrong ammo is enough to make me very careful of what I put in mine. I use Korean surplus in the enbloc clips, mostly. A lot of it came into the U.S. , in the bandoleers , for very little money back around 1991 and I bought a lot of it. I'm also buying the Prvi partisan special loaded for the Garand 30-06 whenever AIM gets some in, which isn't too darned often.

      Delete
  3. The one SKS I took out for actual use is pretty finicky with some ammo sometimes. It doesn't like that steel 7.62 crap at all nor does it particularly like the rounded nose bullets either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's surprising. They're supposed to eat about anything. Do you keep a light coat of oil on the bolt carrier? That might help.

      Delete
  4. I usually have 1 weekend day that is for cleaning and errands. The other day is more of a do fun things, or chill.

    *I agree with your comment on my blog about the families being friends with one another. I just don't know what to do about it. One family is Ethiopian. They do things in family groups all the time. It's so different from what I'm used to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really try to relax on Saturday and Sunday. The rest of the week is kind of like a work week, because I stay busy trying to keep this place in repair and handle all of our paperwork.

      Well, you need to do what's right for you and your own family. You can be nice and still not sacrifice your own interests. If you get roped into constantly doing things with other adults, your own family life and personal time will be negatively impacted. You can be tactful, and decline invitations. After all, you're a working mom. How much more than work, family, et al can you reasonably be expected to do? Socializing at the adult level is something I have dispensed with and it has caused me no sorrow.

      Delete