“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, August 1, 2014

Wind and sporadic rain.




"Itty Bitty the Barn Kitty", as my wife calls her,  escaped today when I went to feed the poor retarded cat this afternoon.  Periodically I've been going out and calling her.  I figured when she got wet enough and hungry enough she'd materialize, and so she did.  I don't particularly like wandering around outside at night, but  IBTBK is white. She shows up in the forest like a bright light.  I doubt she'd have made it through the night, the coyotes would have gotten her, if not an owl.   One less thing to worry about, now she is safely secured inside.

But there are plenty of other things to worry about.  Most of them, it's an exercise in futility. People tell me , "don't worry about things you can't help" but I have never found much comfort in that advice. It's not something you can turn off with a switch.  Fortunately, at the moment my worries are few, and really should be classified as minor irritations and aggravations, more than anything else.

My problems are small things.  I forget to put my truck keys back on the rack, then it starts raining, and I can't find the keys to roll up the truck windows.  Tonight my daughter called and I forgot her boy friends name.  I left the barn door open and the cat escaped.  None of these are particularly earthshaking but they do drive the aggravation meter way up there.

I didn't do my 20 minute workout on the elliptical.  Now it's past midnight, and I'll have to go do that or I will stay mad because I didn't, and I won't get to sleep. That means I have to take another shower, which will wake me up, which will make it harder to go to sleep.

On the positive side, I'm all snug inside. The wind and the intermittent showers are soothing to listen to, and after I work out I'll be tired and feel like sleeping.  Tomorrow I may go out for awhile. I'm considering a trip to the big lake in the next county.  There's a place there where they rent sail boats. I sold my little sail boat when I moved here, but I still remember how to sail and there's no reason I shouldn't enjoy all the area has to offer.




  I switched carry guns again. Now I'm using a Beretta 96 Onyx.   .40 S&W is in between 9mm and .45 ACP.  It's a compromise of sorts.

I'm worse with guns than women are with shoes and purses.  It's a character flaw.




I do seem to be a lot more irritable lately.  That's why I'm planning on getting out for awhile. Which Greek playwright said "Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad."  I'm thinking either Euripides or Aristophanes. I think I'll go with Euripides. Am I right?  If I'm not, I'm going to be really irritated.

17 comments:

  1. Prometheus says that phrase I believe in one of the Greek adaptations but I do not remember who wrote it although I believe it was more modern.

    LOL Harry, I mean this in an amiable way bit have you ever thought about donating your brain and a journal to psychological science somewhere. Head shrinks would get years of enjoyment from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm different. I know that. It's one of the primary reasons I live where and how I do. But variety is a good thing, right?
      I am sure it was one of the classical Greeks but I'm too lazy to look it up. I'll check tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Hey Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    I'd say you remind me of a Southern version of Winston Churchill.

    My favorite WInston Churchill quote from when he was drunk and fell over some aristocrat lady at some opera was "Lady I may be drunk but in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly"


    What irritates me is my favorite brand of toilet paper at walmart is shrinking in size...

    On another note; this Ebola thing is getting out of hand and western media is downplaying the seriousness of this situation and ignoring a possible pandemic.

    I suggest anyone out there keep and eye on whats going on with people getting sick in your families and community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not thrilled about them bringing those infected people to Atlanta. If they want to go over there and play Albert Switzer well and good but if they get sick don't bring them back here. After this latest CDC debacle with anthrax, I am not reassured that CDC is going to supervise their isolation.

      Delete
  3. Your problems probably revolve around your grief, which is understandable. When I lost Bird, I didn't want to do much of anything for quite awhile. It was different with Bird than the other animals because she was so dependent on me for everything being blind and having obvious brain issues. I had work as a distraction so you probably do need to get into a different environment for a bit. Have fun but be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Bird. You took really good care of her and she had quality time while she lived.

      I think a little run out of town is going to be fun. Won't be gone long but still, it's a change of scene.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harrry,

    (captaincrunch)

    In response to the previous post of New York state ratting out preppers etc. I don't know why anyone would stock up on MRE's. I tried MRE's (taste like "Milk Bones" for dogs) I know because I ate a Milk Bone once at a party after a six pack on a dare.
    Now is someone gonna rat me out for buying "Meatloaf" That was my favorite food onboard the Puget Sound. To this day, Its almost impossible to find good Navy styled "Meatloaf"
    I also miss (Phillipino styled) fried rice with the scrambled egg in it. Most of the cooks I think in the Navy were Phillipino and so their Chinease styled food was actually more Phillipino styled. I don't know how it was up there in the Wardroom for you but down in the mess decks I was chowing down on the best Meatloaf ever.
    I wish I could buy several cases of Navy Meatloaf if it came in some kinda can or freezedried package or something.
    Now I did find "Lean Cuisine" Meatloaf is really, really good and the closest thing to Navy Meatloaf I have found yet. I just toss the Lean Cuisine TV Dinner Meatloaf in the microwave and I'm up in running.
    I remember as a kid my dad liking "Chipped Beef" (which I hated) aka (SOS) He was on a destroyer during the Korean war and now I understand.

    On a side note; The walmart near me is fully (and I mean fully) stocked with ammo, except for .22 of course. I counted 3200 rounds of that 55 grain .223 in the one hundred round boxes that I like to shoot so much (at $34.97 a box) They also have four, 420 round ammo cans of the 55 grain for $167.00 per ammo can.

    Next crisis of some sort I will see that case get cleaned out in a matter of hours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MRE are good for people who have to travel, or for people who just want a weeks worth of food or so, and don't have much storage room. When I was leaving the Marines in 1986 they hadn't been out long. Before that we had the C ration, and I always liked those too.

      Delete
    2. Wow. Navy meatloaf....there's something funny yet sick with that!

      Delete
    3. Hey Harry,


      (captaincrunch)

      is it true that if you take a can of c-ration peaches and place them on a hot stove for hours that the can will explode and the room (or tent) will be peppered with hot "Peach Shrapnel"

      Delete
    4. Anon, ask CC what the salami and balogna they use to make sandwiches for MidRats is called. Yum Yum!

      Delete
    5. I don't think anyone who tried that would be very popular with his comrades in the tent. I told you my story about the guy who knocked over a clay jar of Korean kimchi in our GP tent at Yechon in the middle of a subzero winter. Only the fact that he was a popular old timer and a warrant officer saved him from a blanket party.

      Delete
    6. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      Harry, I have not heard "Blanket Party" in a long time. Also, I really don't recall what the Salami and Balogna was called. When I got onboard the Puget Sound in Norfolk., either I don't remember midrats or we really never really had them. Now in the Persian Gulf we had the chow line open all day. If you recall being on the Quarterdeck moving about ten feet ahead and making an immediate left turn. That chow line was open all the time. If you kept going all the way forward towards the bow, past the mess decks. My birthing was located below deck birthing. 1st, 2nd and 3rd division birthing was all the way forward. I was an Engineman assigned to 3rd division to work on the small boats. We were the Red Headed step children in 3rd, division not being 'Boatswain's Mates"
      Harry, I don't know if you remember the 'materiel handling passageway' that ran around the ship. I used to go jogging through there all the time when we were underway (I have a serious knee injury now and jogging is ancient history. At least I can paddle a surfboard)

      Delete
  5. Those sorts of things seem to happen in batches. Or maybe we are irritated so the standard life stuff is more grating than usual. I am not sure.

    The Beretta 96 is a pretty good gun. The 92 series is overbuilt enough that it does not seem to suffer the .40 Go Boom syndrome that occasionally but catastrophically afflicts Glocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had more than my share of that stuff lately. I feel the bad me creeping back. "every day in every way, I'm getting better and better!" The Pink Panther.

      Yeah, I like the Beretta 96. And a guy needs to change his accessories every now and then.

      Delete
  6. Like you I'm freaky about changing my carry piece. Wish we had your wind and rain...hot and dry here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Stephen, You have to keep an eye on what's trending, you know. Right now the brushed satin finish is all the rage with the cool conceal carry set. And anyway I needed a change. ;-)

      Delete