“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Nothing doing here aside from the normal chores.


Everything is quiet here.  It's just a little bit early for the tourists to be flooding the roads , and the great bicycle club invasions won't start until the middle of October.   Cool enough for a fire in the fireplace this evening but I wasn't feeling overly energetic so I didn't build one. Maybe tomorrow.


If you look very closely at this picture, you can see that it's a black hen, with a black squab under her wing.  That's the only chick she hatched out this year. They sleep in this tree just off the porch every night, and she always cradles her chick under her wing like that. It must be pretty uncomfortable now that the chick is just about ready to be off on it's own.



This is Midori the cat, in one of her favorite hiding places.  There are lights in the panel along the ceiling in the living room.  Midori likes to get out there and nestle on the pads of insulation in those spaces. From there she can peer down on everyone below and she thinks she is invisible.



It's like the old song by the Beatles, "We all Live in a Yellow Submarine", except we all live in a cedar log house.

This is the vet medicine I get at the Farmers Depot. It's good stuff, and heals up most wounds, skin irritations, etc.   It says not to use it on humans but I've used it on myself and it works just fine. My nose may fall off or something one day but so far there have been no ill effects.

You can't use it on cats, though, because it has something they are allergic to in it.  Works great on dogs, horses, and goats as I can attest from personal experience.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes when the world around us is going completely mad, it is those quiet days of normalcy that make me believe there is still a shred of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a really quiet day here. I haven't done much of anything, haven't watched any television. I napped most of the day away.

      Don't know what's going on outside the forest and today, at least, I don't care.

      Delete
  2. Your cat has the best seat in the house for certain! If my granddaughter could get up there she would be right beside her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ferrets are jealous. They get up on the kitchen cabinet and crane their necks so they can look up at Midori, but since ferrets can't leap very far they can't get out there.

      You are awfully young to be a grandma. You must have been a very young bride.

      Delete
  3. dear Harry - i couldn't show this pic of Midori to our cats or they would have exploded in jealousy! they get up in the highest places in this house - our highest shelves and whatnot. always. it doesn't matter what you put up in the shelves they will find a way into them. Midori has some great spots and i am glad.

    why can't you use that stuff on cats? i have never seen it before, but because you say it works on other animals and humans - i am getting some for our preps! but why can't it be used on cats?

    lovely post. hope you are doing ok. hope bell is doing ok. much love to you and yours always, my dearest. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  4. It says on the back of the can, specifically not to use it on cats. Some years back, I put that question on a posting and a person told me that one of the ingredients is an allergen for felines. I can't remember which one, but the same person gave me some recommendations for other medicines from the vet which turned out to be spot on, so I have always heeded her warning and not put this on the cats. I have other ointments that serve the same purpose for them. I got the medicinal ointments at the farmers depot as well, and they are good for about everything including preventing infections on a cut or wound.

    Bell's tail is better. Things are fine. It's just after 11PM here and I was out on the porch listening to the Red Wolves howling. I went around after that and turned on all the external security lights, I only had the major lights on. Red Wolves are small, and have never hurt anybody I ever heard of but it never hurts to light the dark up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I see the spray stuff I will pick some up. Good for the animals if they get hurt and I'd try it on myself if I get hurt.

    On an entirely unrelated note I saw .30 cal Carbine Ammo, 110 gr FMJ Aguila made for $475. http://www.luckygunner.com/aguila-30-carbine-ammo-for-sale-30car110fmjaguila-1000 I recall you own a gun (or more) in this caliber.

    Unsure if you need or want said ammo but it is not something one sees every day so I wanted to make you aware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thought. I have two M 1 carbines. A Winchester from WW2, and an Israeli made gun, beautiful with a tiger stripe stock. I don't shoot the Winchester much but I do use the Israeli gun. I bought a lot of the .30 carbine in metal ammo cans, in bandoleers , on stripper clips when it was pretty common and cheap in the mid eighties. I was lucky and got several cases of the ammo when a general store in the neighboring county went broke. But you can never have enough of a rare chambering, especially brass cased boxer primed, so I will certainly check that out. I appreciate the heads up. 1000 rounds would be very welcome indeed, and the price sounds more than fair given today's environment.

      Delete
  6. Nothing wrong with a little calm, its like the eye of a hurricane. The world is diffidently going crazy once again, or is still going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to sit back and watch events unfold without getting emotionally involved. I'm trying to "wash my hands of it" but old habits die hard.

      Delete