“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Stump the Experts. What is this?

I saw this gun on another web page.  It is called an Ishapore FTR 2A according to that site.



At first glance, I thought it was one of those Ishapore Enfield 2A rifles that Navy Arms modified to Jungle Carbine form , but the magazine is completely wrong and appears to be a standard .303 Enfield Magazine.

The web page clearly says this is a .308 gun, and the 2A designation belongs to the Ishapores built from scratch as .308 guns, not converted.


The mixed wood precludes this being a Navy Arms rework.  I'm wondering if this is just a scratch built cut down Enfield Mk IV. No.1, and is in .303.   If it is, somebody did a lot of work on replacing the sights.



This is the carbine made by Gibbs Rifle/ Navy Arms in the mid 1990's from an Ishapore 2 or 2A.





This is an Ishapore Enfield 2A made to chamber 7.62X51.


This is an original Jungle Carbine MK. V


6 comments:

  1. G'day Harry,

    What an ugly SMLE!!! I have not seen anything like it here in Oz, it does look like a jungle carbine knockoff but If it is an Indian conversion to 7.62 the magazine is wrong as you stated, that is certainly a standard .303 mag. I don't know what they are trying to achieve by moving the rear sights so far foward?

    I'll bet the recoil on that thing would be a real mongrel! I have fired an authentic jungle carbine in the past and it kicked like 2 mules! If I was in New Guinea I would have been doing my best to beg borrow or steal an Owen sub-machine gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an authentic Jungle Carbine in .303 British, and it does kick really hard. It has the original rubber butt plate, but over the decades it has hardened to the consistency of steel so there's not much help there. This is a very strange carbine. The ammo in the clip looks like .308, but that doesn't mean anything as it probably didn't come with the gun.

      Delete
  2. That's a converted No1Mk3 SMLE. I've seen those around before. Some company made a batch of them about ten-fifteen years ago or so from normal SMLEs and they turn up now every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that Navy Arms did a production run of Jungle Carbine "knock off's" using Ishapore Enfield 2 and 2A receivers. I also knew there were copies of the Jungle Enfield MK. V floating around, made from No.1 MK3 rifles in .303. You can tell those by disassembling the rifle and looking for the "lightening cuts" milled into the receiver. If they aren't there, it's a fake. However, what throws me is the assertion that this is a .308 chambered rifle. Also, if it's supposed to be a Jungle Carbine Mk. V the sights are all wrong. Your explanation is the only one I can think of though, because that magazine on that particular gun would't work with the .308 cartridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last 'jungle carbines' that were re-chambered to .308 I think were manufactured / reburbished in Australia, I think. I've never shot a jungle carbine, but it couldn't be much worse than a Cetme FR-8 carbine, pretty much the same animal, only in Mauser 98 form. Noticeable, but not significant.

    Then again, my go-to deer rifle is a Remington 600 in same round, so maybe my brains are just addled. :^)

    Cool mystery rifle, thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The web site I saw it on is really interesting but they have made some spectacular misidentifications from time to time. Nor does the name they put to this gun turn up in any of my books. Still, it's fun to fiddle around with.

      Delete