“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, September 22, 2014

The wind is blowing as if it were November. Books, and behind on my email.



This is November weather, not late September.   Getting down to the low fifties at night, low humidity, very cool during the day.  If it's like that now, I wonder what it will be like during the Holidays?  The wind is blowing today and a lot of leaves are falling. That probably means a less than spectacular leaf season here. Usually, in about two weeks the leaf season is at it's best and the tourists are crowding the town.

I suppose just about everyone has a copy of this book:

  I bought many, many copies and mailed them to nephews, nieces, and some old college buddies and former Marines among others.  If I had to pick only one book for someone just getting interested in survivalism, I'd get this one.

That's not to say there are not a lot of other useful books out there. One look at the bookshelves in my study would substantiate the fact that you can spend as much as you want to on the topic.  However, this book covers just about everything the neophyte has to think about.

They got a lot more expensive in the last few years, so I stopped buying them for other folks unless it was a special case, or a family member. I've always considered that the money I spent on postage and books was well spent. Even if they sat unread on people's books shelves or wound up being sold for a quarter at a yard sale, I tried.








This is apparently a companion volume. It was originally scheduled to be available on Amazon in mid to late October, but there are rumors floating about the ether that availability has been delayed until late December. I certainly want a copy, and if it's as good as the first book then undoubtedly I will wind up purchasing some for my nephews and nieces if no one else.

Not that they need them.  My middle brothers sons are all sportsmen and outdoorsmen. They would do fine. My youngest brothers girls all married rural men, from families with large land holdings. What would be called a clan here in the Blue Ridge mountains. They should be ok. Still, every small idea, every new concept, has value in the overall scheme of things.

Surely having these two books would be thought provoking, even if you had the skills and infrastructure to get along already.  No matter how much you have done, you've overlooked something.






  I am woefully behind on my email.  I have several good emails I am late in responding too.  I think tonight I may be able to start getting caught up. So, if you have emailed me in the last three days or so and haven't gotten a response yet, please just bear with me.

I'm not as good about answering promptly as I used to be, but I'm juggling a lot of different things right now. Maybe when life settles down I can get a better routine going.




23 comments:

  1. Aw heck, Harry. It was the weekend. If all folks have to do is set around hitting the refresh button on their inbox waiting for an email from you, then I think there's a problem.

    On the weekends, I'll scan occasionally for new post on the blogs, but I do that on my phone usually at night after she's asleep. I hardly use the desktop on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I carry on quite a few conversations via email. Some are with people who don't , ever, under any circumstances, leave comments on a blog but still want to discuss an issue. Some are with people on completely unrelated matters. I usually have 10 to 15 emails a day on a regular day,and I regard an email just as I did in the days before computers, and people sent paper letters. Not to respond to a letter or an email in a timely fashion is outright rude.

      So I try to keep up, but I have a lot going on just now and have fallen behind.

      Delete
    2. Heh OK. You've done it to me a time or two, and I didn't take it as rude but that's just me and my patient personality that I'm known for. :-)

      Delete
  2. The weather is the fault of that dam climate change meeting in NYC. Every time those folks have a conference the weather is always cooler than expected or forecast. But seriously the weather here in southeastern Virginia this year has given us one of the mildest summers than I can remember. I just stacked 2 cords of Oak to add to the cord and half I already have. Last winter was cold I expect a colder one this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, our winter here in the Blue Ridge mountains was the worst I can remember, and I've lived here since the summer of 1986. We had many days of below zero weather this past winter, and that just doesn't happen. One or two days, maybe, but not day after day. This winter I am taking extra precautions in case it's colder, because the general consensus is that it is going to be. I hope we are all wrong. I like snow and cold weather, but not that cold!

      Delete
  3. We had a cooler than normal summer, extending into a cooler than normal fall. I'm thinking that does not bode well for winter. Hibernation may be a really good option. The leaves are just starting to turn color. Everyone in my area heads for the northern part of Minnesota to view the fall color, so at least we don't have to trip over tourists here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I suspect our leaf season may not be so colorful as usual, because the leaves are already falling. Leaf season is my favorite time of the year, it's crisp but not bitter cold, and the days are clear, no humidity, with lots of clouds.

      Delete
  4. We range from hot to cold, wet to dry. Our persimmons say we're supposed to get lots of snow this year. Better than ice I suppose I just hoped to not be driving in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, your persimmons say the same thing our Woolly Booger caterpillars say. Both predict a grim winter. I'm not going out if there's snow all over everything. I'll just stay here and wait it out.

      Delete
  5. It does seem like the transition between summer and fall was about a day.. Not that I am complaining at all. Summer had some good times but I was definitely ready for it to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This past summer caused me a lot of problems because it was so wet. Heat and humidity I can cope with easily enough, but constant rain is very hard on wooden buildings. I am ready for a change as well.

      Delete
  6. Harry,

    Some days it's just plain hard to sit down and get on the computer.
    Life keeps us all pretty busy at times.
    Great books to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I always envisioned retirement as a time when I'd have leisure to just do what I wanted to do. But the truth has turned out differently. I'm busier now, I think, than when I was working. The days seem awfully short.

      Yes, I think the new one coming out will be worth the money, and I intend to get one and see if that's so as soon as I can.

      Delete
  7. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    Yeah' I agree with you, early start to a winter. Seams to be doing the same down here in South Texas.
    We got a 'slight cool down' coming in tonight and our first real cold front is probably two weeks away.
    I think its El Nino' and not global, end of the world, Al Gore's nightmare of winters were the Polar Bears in Nova Scotia invade Texas, etc.

    I wish I was as rich as Al Gore$$$$$
    By the way, I think Al Gore has the Carbon Footprint of an entire WW2 German Panzer Division.

    On the James Rawls books on tools and stuff. I inherited my fathers antique tool collection. Mostly turn of the century tools and many to the mid-20th century made out of all American steel.
    I also acquired that pre-1905 Athol Vise (for $35.00) that I restored. That vise weigh's at least 50 or 60 lbs. A model 624 if anyone wants to check out pics of Athol vise's on Ebay.
    I check craigslist everyday. I made some really good scores on tools on craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Harry.

      (captaincrunch)

      Almost forgot, seeing those ferret pics on your blog reminds me I am missing a 1953 Berreta .25 cal pistol in my house (no I don't have any ferreting thieves stealing my guns and taking them back to their ferret bolt holes) I know that pistol is somewhere in the house in a safe spot that I forgot.
      If I did have a ferrets, I would of course blame the mischevious mini-varmints for their mockery and malicious intent to incite mischief and misdeeds.

      Delete
    2. If you had ferrets, you'd probably be right to blame them. They will carry off anything that's not nailed down and hide it in their secret places. I'm still missing that Ruger GP100, doubtless also in some safe place that I promptly forgot. I keep most of my guns locked up, but the one's that are strategically placed throughout the house tend to sprout legs and relocate themselves.

      I read an article about the huge house Al Gore lives in, and how it is a big energy hog. You are not far off the mark there, I believe.

      Good tools are a necessity of life. I have plenty of hand tools, and in the last few years I've begun to buy some good power tools to make life easier for myself.

      Delete
  8. I have not read that book. I will keep an eye out for it - maybe I will come across it in a thrift store.

    It got into the 40s here last night! I need to start eating all the lettuce in my garden before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some other ladies talking about getting the last vegetables out of their gardens. So I guess Fall is really here now.

      I don't know how much the book will cost, the price of his first book more than doubled over the years.

      Delete
  9. I might have to get that book then. Just read the disaster diaries and that was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked The Disaster Diaries, you'll like a book called "Emergency: this book can save your life." It's not only very entertaining, but there's a lot of actionable information in it. The paperback edition is pretty reasonably priced.

      Delete
  10. New-ish here (Cmdr 0 ref'd)..one of the books I recommend to newbies/not-quite-believers is A Failure of Civility (avail on Amazon). It covers many topics in large print and just deep enough content to get someone off the sofa and at least stocking food and water. They will also look at their neighborhood with new eyes - defensible or no, high ground or sacrificed...I tell them to just use it as bathroom reading...

    Great blog, btw...
    http://troopersgal.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that blog, I'll have to take a look. Seems to me I remember a discussion of that book some time ago but I can't remember the details. Thanks for the heads up on it.

      Delete