“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Turkish 9mm, writing opportunities for survivalists.

Bizarre day here.  Sporadic heavy thundershowers , harsh humidity, then a thick fog rolling in as the air suddenly cooled off at dusk.  Thank God for air conditioning.  I can run my air off my generator, but the generator is very loud. I tried making a muffler system for it the way I'd seen our engineers do it in the Marines, but I must have forgotten something because it didn't work.  So, if the grid goes down, I will have to choose between being cool and dry but drawing the Zombies down on me, or being off the sky line, but being hot and suffering the humidity.



You can see the mountains where I live on the skyline of this picture. The sun just coming up behind them makes a nice picture.   This is the road that leads to the town where I buy my ferret supplies. There was no such road when I moved here, and I wish there wasn't now even if makes it easier to get in and out of the county.  That's why I don't like it, come to think of it.  Makes it easier for people to get in here.



This big boomer building up is a harbinger of the kind of  day to come.  Strange, because today I stood on my porch, without a drop falling on the roof, while the rain thundered down in my meadow 20 feet away. It was like someone was holding a giant hose on the grass.  Rain on and off.  I watched an old episode of Mega Disasters, on drought, this evening and I guess I shouldn't be complaining of the rain but it sure has turned this area into the rain forest this summer.


I wanted to mention that I know there are a lot of very good writers out there, and right now the opportunities for writers in the survivalist field have never been better. You can write from anywhere on the planet, they don't care where you come from.  Amazon has a new "Kindle Only" digital magazine called Self Reliance (this is not Self Reliance Illustrated) , and they are looking for authors. They pay between $30 and $300 per article. Here's the link to their writers guide: Kindle Self Reliance Magazine Writers Guide

There are a lot of other new survivalist magazines looking for writers.  There's the new American Survival Guide,  Get Ready,  Survivors Edge, Survivalist, Off Grid, and a good many others. I'll try to post the writers guides links for those as I get a chance to look them up.  Here's a little advice. Use a pen name, and don't give out any information about your email address or a blog you write. At least, don't do it without considering all the unintended consequences that could occur.


I don't know if I mentioned it in a previous post, but I got three boxes of this Turkish 9mm at Walmart. $12.99 a box plus tax.  It was $20.00 a box this past winter, during the "great shortage."

I fired out twenty rounds per pistol in each of these guns with these results:

Walther P-38    no problems


Browing HP (1950 gun)  one stove pipe

Sig P226   no problems

Luger P08  - not functional.

My Luger will only take Winchester 9mm commercial loads and jams with everything else, so this is no condemnation of the Turkish ammo.  Lugers are notoriously finicky about ammo.

It's been a good day, and I might not have accomplished a lot but I got off the mountain, and did a little shooting.

I almost forgot to mention, the new Backwoods Home is out:





22 comments:

  1. We had kind of the same goofy weather here today. There were a few small thunder boomers that rolled through, with temps in the high 80s and high humidity. But it is cooling down this evening and promises to be cooler for the next week. Strange weather all over this year I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife said the teachers at her school are all predicting a bad winter based on local lore, like the woolly booger caterpillars and acorns falling early. We made plans for setting up our straw dog houses, and this year we are putting a straw "house" over the well. It froze last year when we hit below zero for three days running.

      Delete
  2. Like Vicki said wild weather Saturday morning the weather folks are saying 48 out in the country. I think old man winter is breathing heavy all ready. Stay safe Harry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope this winter is not as harsh as last winter. That posed a number of challenges for us because we are not set up for below zero weather over a number of days. This year we will be better prepared but there's only so much you can do.

      Delete
  3. One thing easy to overlook in muffler systems for engines is to muffle the air intake. The sound coming from the intake is surprising loud, and usually lacks any effort by the manufacturer for muffling the noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My diesel generator is very loud. I tried muffling the exhaust by running it into a barrel of water, vented at the top, and filled only to a depth of one foot. Not enough to impede the flow of the exhaust but supposedly enough to deaden the sound. It didn't work. I know that's how the field expedient mufflers were made, and they were working with much larger generators. Clearly, I left something out. I don't know how to muffle the air intake without adversely effecting the engine of the generator. Any ideas?

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    check this out....

    http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gensetquiet.htm

    Its on how to quiet the generator using a car muffler. It sounds and looks plausible.
    Yeah' it may limit horsepower some, but if you gotta run silent. It may really work.

    This fall, hooking up a muffler to my generator will be a good project (along with 200 other projects)

    Also Harry' According to the Farmers Almanac. It looks like 'El Nino' winter. Eastern parts of the country will be colder than usual and the west part will be warmer, but with more rain.
    I know what to expect down here in South Texas. It will be rainy, cold and crappy for three weeks at a time. Almost kinda of a normal winter down here.
    That's why I will have to get a lot of projects out of the way.

    On a side note.

    Many people are getting concerned about terrorism over the next week or so. I will be getting some extra supplies just in case something really bad happens. The borders being wide open and terrorist groups like Isis, are really starting to get people concerned.
    I will be topping off the fuel tanks in both trucks and I have been getting extra food and normal stuff I use like paper towels and other household items so I wont really have to make regular runs to Walmart for a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, thanks for the info on muffling a generator. I will certainly go there and bookmark the page because that's an idea I had not heard of. Maybe I can put it into practice. Especially in winter, sound carries in these mountains a long way. Running my generator is like having a huge neon sign up in the sky saying "here he is."

      With Sept 11 coming up, I think there's good reason to be jumpy. I hope it's like past anniversaries and goes quietly, but this year is a tense one. If you are all stocked up, you are good to go whether anything happens or not. Supplies for a terrorist event inspired disruption are just as handy when a hurricane comes ashore.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I've been collecting since about 1971, so over the years I've gotten a few nice pieces. I like my Mitchel Arms Luger, but it doesn't shoot worth a damn. Still fun to target shoot with though.

      Delete
  6. I would lose the 9mm battle. For someone with a fair amount of firepower, I surprisingly only have one: a diamondback pocket pistol. I seem to have gone larger (.40 SW and 10mm, and smaller .25).

    I get a little nervous with the idea of people trying to act on any specific survival advise I might give them. It is such a big country, and people live under such different circumstances. Thus my preference to sticking with broader issues, historical trends, and fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I will tell people what I know and what I do, and they can pick and choose what might be useful to them. I've been at this since 1986, and if nothing else, I've made a lot of mistakes that maybe I can save others from making.

      I have some .40 S&W pistols, but I like 9mm because it's easier on my wrists. I have arthritis and there are days when a power kick from a pistol would just hurt too much to be manageable. I don't have any 10mm guns, they were only popular for a very short time and the .40 S&W eclipsed them when it came out. 10 mm guns are much sought after these days by collectors, particularly if you have a Colt.

      Delete
  7. We have had some storms here too this week.

    Our road was gravel in front of our house when we moved there. Now it is paved, but not all the way through, so it still isn't a very busy road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in Maine you can't live without a generator even in urban areas. Due to the granite geography all power lines are above ground and power loss is routine. Had a cheap Crapsman 3000 watt one that would rattle your filling out. Due to a 25 gallon a minute ground water run-off in to my basement sump and the need for heat I had to run it one winter for 5 days straight when power lines were dropping from the ice and they could not fix them fast enough. Cobbled on a cheap muffler from Tractor Supply on it and though it did not quiet it totally it took the hard edge off it. More recently I bought a 5500 watt Generac with a bigger 5 gallon tank and 4 cycle engine that is much quieter. And would you know it I have not needed it since.
    As for ammo, I try to cook my own given that even at Wallyworld prices I can make them for less than half the cost. Opting for the best deals found my arsenal is far less "collectible" than yours though. Scary to think I have even gone over to the dark side adding a plastic fantastic wonder nine SW9VE recently, when the deal was just to good to pass up. Frightening thing is It has become my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you just attach the tractor supply muffler to the exhaust outlet on your generator?

    If you did, did you just use a circle clamp to do it? I'd be interested in knowing more because the noise my generator makes is a big draw back in my opinion.

    I reload my own most of the time, but I've been buying commercial ammo for a good long while. When I was still working I got it wholesale, and since then I have picked it up when it was cheap. Loading 9mm gets tedious, but I have a bunch of it loaded and stored away for a rainy day. I have a rock chucker and while I don't mind the time I spend reloading it does take a while. I usually do it in winter when you can't get out to do anything else.

    I have several of the plastic pistols, though I am not a fan and I don't really know why I bought them. I have two Sigmas, the 9 and 9C, They were made before Glock sued Smith and Wesson and forced a design change. I have some Glocks. I think that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harry, Yes I used a piece of 2 inch spiral flex pipe and a reducer from about 4 to 2 inch. Held it all together with pipe clamps. The 4 inch end of the reducer bought at VIP auto parts goes over the little round muffler on the generator, then the flex pipe and then the muffler. I found with it installed it provided too much back pressure and it was hard to star the generator. So I have it set up with some wires so I can put it on after I start it and hold the reducer on with the wires. It could use some improvement but it does take the hard edge of the two cycle engine. With a bit more effort I could have done a better job, but like I said I found a good deal on a 5500 watt Generac with a four stroke engine and it is so much quieter.
      Michael

      Delete
  10. I shot some of that brand's .308 ammo. It is solidly functional for range fun. Better than Tula/ Wolf but not quite up to say Winchester white box or American Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, the brass is reloadable and it's good general purpose ammo as far as I can tell. I don't much like steel cased ammo, hard on the extractors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Harry, I can only speak from my experience on steel cased ammo. Commie guns that are designed for it shoot the stuff no problem. Glocks seem to do just fine with it. Then again SKS's, AK's and Glocks would probably shoot firecrackers jammed into casings with rocks on top. I saw a video where a guy shot BLACK POWDER through a Glock 21.

    As to other guns I keep them with brass cased ammo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russian rifles work fine with steel cased ammo, as you say. I was thinking in terms of handguns. I know during World War Two the U.S. tested steel cased.45 ACP in the 1911 with dire results in terms of extractor failure. The modern guns would be ok I guess but I am hesitant to try the steel cased ammo in my personal weapons unless the need is dire indeed.



      Delete
  13. Thanks for the info on the new kindle magazine. Might be worth having a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a shot at writing for them. The fact that you are English will give you immediate interest with readers, because you have vegetables over there we have never even heard of. (At least, I haven't.) Gardening is tremendously big here. I am probably the only survivalist in the United States who doesn't have a garden, and do canning. Besides, when you get published I can say "Hey! I know that guy!"

      Delete