“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Got my book.

I finally got my hands on Mike Venturino's new book.  As usual, there were delays with the publisher and it came out months late, but now I've got my copy.

It's pricey, at about $50.00, but well worth it. He covers most of the guns I commonly shoot, including the rara avis  that most people usually don't write about.

The pictures are great, but I already had plenty of books with pictures of different weapons. What this book has is load data he tested out for every single gun reviewed, and that's golden. You can get load data for most old guns out of any load manual, but he gives different powders and bullet types for several that I have had only one load for up to now.

It wouldn't be a lot of use to anyone not interested in the older weapons , originating in the 1891-1945 era, but it's a real find for those of us who are.


I recently received a heads up from a friend about a security breach in the blog. Many thanks to him , and it's been corrected. I am very careful about that kind of thing, but it doesn't take much to compromise your OPSEC and I missed something. I know some folks don't worry about disclosing their location on line, but you have to remember you don't know who is reading your blog, or why. I just don't think it's a really good idea to publish your personal information. You can pass that info on to people you know and trust via email, in a private communication, and that's what I do when I need to.




Turning colder here, and some light rain on and off.  It was a pleasant day, This evening I plan to catch up on reading blogs, then settle down on the couch and read my new book some more. I have a good fire going so I'm set for the night.

17 comments:

  1. It's a good one, Gorges. Nice to have an indoor activity today, too cold outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the book have anything on reloading the 7mm Clement? A friend of mine in Spain has a Charola and Anitua in 7mm Clement we like to see about cooking up some ammo for. Here is the gun.
    http://isserfiq.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-spanish-guns.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry my bad, not 7 mm Clement but 7mm Charola or Teuf- Teuf.

      Delete
    2. No, I'm afraid not. To be honest, I've never even heard of the 7mm Charola. It must be fairly rare.

      Delete
    3. Based on a lucky search hit: the Charlola was an 1898 Spanish automatic pistol. It was also made under license in Belgium, where it was said to be popular with the Russians - who were presumably carrying them during the 1904 Russo-Japanese War. From Ian Hogg's Pistols of the World (2004).

      So it doesn't sound like something likely to have seen service in WW2.

      Delete
    4. Hi Russell, yes they are turn of the century Belgian made Bergman style gun for the Spanish market back then. Ian over at Forgonttenweapons has a page on one.
      http://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-automatic-pistols/charola-anitua/

      Delete
    5. That's a bit too esoteric for me. I tend to have weapons that you could buy from the big wholesale surplus dealers in the 1980's and 1990's, so if it wasn't in a catalog, or I didn't just accidentally come across it in a pawn shop or a gun show, I probably don't have it.

      Delete
  3. Harry,

    Now that's a book worth keeping. Makes for a great resource :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I keep all my gun books and magazines, as well as my self sufficiency books and magazines. I've been giving away the books from my old professional library I built up in the Marines, because I don't read a lot of military history these days, unless it's Roman.

      Delete
  4. I bet that book will be a good read. I think in the winter months people need more to read. There's not much to do outside except for scooping snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alissa, winter really is a time for forting up and going out as little as possible. My wife and I enjoy winter because we don't feel like we "ought to be" going somewhere or trying to do something like go to Chattanooga. The only really bad thing about winter is when you need to go somewhere and can't get out, or the roads are not passable.

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    Yeah' I'd like to see the part on the Mosins in that book. I'm not too much into collectors firearms' however the Mosins are fun.

    Back to checking out cheap gear at walmart. Walmart has cheap five minute long, 2000 degree rescue flares are for firestarting and signal use. Way to short burn time for road flares.
    The flares are small, about five inches in length. Good for a bugout bag.

    I did pick up a small waterproof container for matches since I am building up a 'vehicle emergency bag" or a "Get me the hell back home bag" with matches, a IFAK medical kit,etc, etc.
    The container was 99 cents (not including matches)

    I check all the camping stuff at walmart for cool stuff that will be useful and inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      here's the best deal on road flares I could find. They are at walmart.com
      Orion Safety Products 20-Minute Flares with Orange Vest, 6pk

      the flares are $15.00 and they come with a really cool and sexy orange vest.
      Maybe at the scene of a car accident, I can fire up a flare or two. Where my cool orange vest and bump into a nice girl that can cook Navy styled Meatloaf:)

      Delete
    2. CC, I have a set of very small flares with a flare gun that I got from Walmart. I also have two large maritime flares, and two small ones, I got from a friend. But I haven't fired those yet, even to test them, because I can't find anywhere to shoot them. If they came down in the trees here the result would be unpleasant. I talked to a guy I know who has a pontoon boat on the lake in the next county, thinking to go out in the middle of the lake and shoot one of each, but it had escaped my mind that doing so would be the boating equivalent of pulling a fire alarm handle, and it would be hard to flee the scene in a pontoon boat before the DNR got out there.

      Delete