“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Rope Yarn Sunday



I've spent today fixing things.  We recently bought our kids new smart phones. They mailed us their old phones, which were significantly better than the one's we use.  I switched the SIM cards, but after a call to AT&T discovered that the cards are not compatible with the phones the kids sent. So AT&T is sending new cards by mail and that project will have to wait until their arrival.

Got a few other things done around the place, and this afternoon my wife is watching the first two parts of The Hobbit trilogy in order to get motivated for the last movie, which starts this week. Those are her favorite shows, and we plan on going to see the movie sometime before the weekend.

Last week we went to see Intersteller which was about an hour too long, but not bad other than that.

It's been down in the low teens here at night. You get up before dawn and the lights are sparkling off the frost on the vehicles.  Great nights for viewing the sky, as clear as could be.  The moon has been cooperative and put on some good displays this week, pity I don't have a decent camera that would let me photograph the night sky.


In keeping with my desire to avoid current events as a topic, I haven't said anything about burgeoning anarchy, the stupidity of the Di Fi report on "torture",  or the Republican capitulation on Emperor Obama and his diktat empowering 500, 000 illegals. What's the point?  Most people who come by here are as well informed on current events as I am, so it doesn't serve much purpose to hash it over again.

I've noticed, however, that MSN has stopped talking about Ebola, and I wonder why? All the same concerns are there that existed when it was "news." I suspect they figure they've worn out the interest factor and have more interesting topics to distort now. But Ebola is still out there, and still a threat. This issue of Survivalist is largely dedicated to the Ebola issue.  One thing I do like about this magazine is that they tend to focus a specific issue on one specific topic. Makes it a good "go to" source for information you may want to go back and reread later.


16 comments:

  1. I can't resist delving into politics a little, especially on Facebook. However, you're right that it does no good, as I'm preaching to the choir also. I guess I just keep hoping one idiot will accidently read it and see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard Intersteller is good. I'll wait to see it until it comes out to Red Box.

    I need a new phone so bad. I don't have a smart phone. It's probably not so smart these days to not have a smart phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my main reason for stopping my political posts was that I really want to avoid getting so wound up. I stay abreast of current events but I don't want them to influence my daily life adversely and to no positive effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alissa, it's good but I had already seen so much about it on the Science Channel that it almost spoiled it. The show is very long.
    The phones the kids sent aren't smart phones, but since I usually have my smaller Kindle with me I make o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that the news media was told by the white house to shut up about Ebola....and they are again obeying their master. I don't have a smart phone, either. Not only that, I leave my dumb phone at home (gasp) when I go out......just like the old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i keep mine with me for emergencies, like AAA car towing . once saw a woman being beaten and had the police on it right away.
      deb h.

      Delete
    2. Tewshooz, I hang on to my cell phone in case I have a vehicle breakdown a long way from anywhere. Comes in handy even if I have to walk upslope a while to find a signal.

      Delete
  6. Harry,

    We don't have home phones here. We use two cell phones and don't rely on them for our only means of communication. I've swopped sim cards and just bought the inexpensive cell phones through walmart. My cell phone provider has no problems with me using a phone I refuse to make payments on.

    I believe the total death count in Africa now is over 6300+. The news media don't talk much about ebola, or our military soldiers. They would rather talk about the weather, protestors, Jay Z and Beyonce meeting the Prince and Kate. I would like to hear the news. I wish we could bring back Walter Cronkite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sandy go to BBC on your computer.
      deb h.

      Delete
    2. Sandy,

      I have a land line because my cell phone service at the house is very sporadic and unreliable. I had to get a new sim card for this phone the kids didn't need anymore because there are some technical differences between the one my wife had and this one. It's better than my wife's old one, even if it is a "hand me down" from the kids.

      I don't watch much domestic news, other than Fox once in awhile. I quit watching Al Jazerra because it's just a propaganda machine for Islam, handily provided by Al Gore and his greed.

      Most of my news I get off the shortwave radio these days.

      Delete
  7. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I got string and tin cans for communication, As per the sim cards, I substitute 'duct tape' (that holds the string to the can) as a makeshift sim card.

    It works really, really well.


    As per the political stuff. I find it all really, really amusing. I may as well enjoy the ride and find the jokes where I can.

    Congress and the Senate may as well as have online auctions so big corporations can bid openly to buy votes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have a cell phone? I guess you don't really need one, since you aren't out away from town all that much. If I didn't live way out there in the sticks I'd avoid the expense of having a cell phone as well.

      Delete
  8. I've missed a lot of pretty night photos too. My camera makes it look farther away than it does when you are just looking at it. Someday I might get a good DSLR but they are just too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look for a better camera, not one that cost a fortune, but surely there are newer ones today that are within my price range. I gave my old camera that I took all these blog photos I use, to my wife. She wanted it for school.

      Delete
  9. I listened to a podcast on ebola this weekend when I was running, but it was put out two months ago.

    I didn't know the third Hobbit was coming out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The third hobbit is coming out in theaters for the general public starting Wednesday night. My wife has been looking forward to it a lot. I enjoy the movies but she is a Tolkien fanatic.

      Delete