“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dog days on the mountain.



I did not get a lot of sleep last night.  Largely this was due to the dogs, who periodically started barking, whining, and running around the edges of the tree line.  Three times I got up and used my flood light to illuminate the forest edges. Didn't see anything. More to the point, I didn't hear anything.  Something was certainly out there, and it was something the dogs didn't like. Have you heard the expression "that raised my hackles."  The dogs sure had their hackles raised last night. I went out this morning and looked around the tree line, but of course I didn't find anything. There are times when I miss the electric fence.


The day started out nicely, but it's already getting colder and overcast. We are told by the weather service to expect snow by tomorrow night.  I hope it doesn't kill off all the plants that are starting to bloom. There are new leaves sprouting on the deciduous trees, grass has started coming up in the meadow. It's supposed to get below freezing but perhaps it wont' be cold enough to hurt the new growth.


There's a Holly tree that grows next to my shop.  This morning I noticed that the chickens are roosting in the branches over the shop roof, and "pooping" on the shakes. That won't do. I guess I will have to go up in the tree and trim all those branches, not something I look forward to. More than once, I've considered getting a shotgun and conducting a chicken massacre. But I know my wife would notice they were missing and that would cause problems. Free range chickens are an unmitigated pain in the derriere, I may be glad I have them someday but right now I'm not.




Now that the weather is letting up, my wife and I are trying to work up the energy to make a trip down towards Atlanta. We could accommodate three or four more ferrets and the rescue down there needs to find homes for some of the ferrets that probably won't be adopted for varying reasons. I only have two ferrets now, and that's not enough for them to be happy. We could make a day trip of it, go to a mall to look around the first day, pick up the ferrets and come home the second.



It's hard to believe March is almost over.  Seems like it came and went awfully fast.  Part of that is due to the fact that I'm not going off the mountain much, and the days just merge into one long stream. Sitting here right now, I honestly don't remember the last time I went into town. I need to go in and at least see if any new magazines have come out that I want.


April is the month we usually go to Palm Coast for a week or so, but this year we decided to just stay home. We go in April because my wife has time off from work, it's their spring break.



This is where my wife thinks she would like to retire. She loves Palm Coast. There are all sorts of nice grocery stores, much nicer than ours here. There are shops, and little cafes.  You can sit on the balcony and watch the sun come up each morning.  That little building you see with the multicolored roof is the outdoor pool. Since I don't go out in salt water past my knees, that's a nice feature. It gets really hot there.


One thing I don't like is that you park under the building, then you ride the elevator up, then you have to haul all your stuff to the condo. When it's blazing hot, this can be somewhat taxing. I was just fooling around when this picture was taken but it really is a pain to go to so much trouble just to get into the  condominium with your gear.


I was trying to get the message across to my wife that hauling groceries and the like up to the one that belongs to our family was a big pain, but she was not amused .



This is what the building looks like from the beach.  Is that a hive, or not?




Still, the beach is nice.  Nobody is ever down there, and you can look for shells and such.  My wife likes to do that, she collects the shells and takes them home. Then after awhile I throw them in the woods. We have enough shells so she never notices.


The best thing about Palm Coast is the dawn.  This is the view from the condo balcony. When we are there, I never miss a dawn.

Oh, well.  Who knows where we will wind up.  I may convince her to stay here, or we may go to New Mexico. I think I have one more move left in me if I want to move.

Time will tell.

26 comments:

  1. You have such a nice set up where you are I would be inclined to stay put. Of course I really hate moving. The beach is nice but I would get tired of it after a month or so. I love the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice up here, Lisa. I was thinking though, as I scrapped the chicken poop off the roof of my shop, that it would be nice to just pick up the phone and call maintenance when something needs fixing.

      I hate moving too. Just the thought of it makes me tired. If we leave here I may have to just blow the whole compound in place.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a hive to me. My Sister used to live in a duplex or whatever those houses are called were its 2 houses attached. Just isn't anyway to live. They would get woken up to the neighbors screaming, cussing, fighting at all hours or banging around or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The people who live there are almost all seniors, and they are very friendly but they want to invite you to do things and I am not very social so that's awkward. I especially don't like to go to people's homes when I don't know them. So then I feel put upon and that makes me feel guilty because I know they are only trying to be nice.

      Delete
  3. This post made me laugh! I had to read my wife the bit about you chucking the shells away! That's the kind of thing I'd do! And the photo of you on the floor is the kind of fooling around'd do!
    I had no idea you'd consider moving. I thought you'd stay until the end. Unless can ever afford a full farm I'll hopefully stay put here for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't really want to move, but my wife does. She wants to buy out the other family members and live in the condominium at Palm Coast. She can retire in three years or five years, depending on whether or not she wants to max out her pension. I don't really know what we are going to do.

      Delete
  4. LOLOL, great post, Harry. Would you really want to give up that glorious mountain living, with all that snow, barking dogs, pooping chickens ... ? Just out of curiosity, how many ferrets does it take to keep them all happy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have to in order to keep my wife I guess so. Maybe.

      ferrets are colony creatures and need about eight individuals at least. I had seven but over the last few years all my little companions have passed away but two. I was up on the mountain side today where they rest. I found some nice quartz rocks and used them as decorations on each resting place.

      Delete
  5. Somehow, I just have a hard time picturing you as a condo living beach bum. I suppose that's because I have seen so many pictures of your beautiful mountain home. I think if I had the kind of set-up you have, I'd be reluctant to leave it, beach or no beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really enthusiastic about it. But rather than causing a big flail-ex right now, I thought I would just let things take their course and see what happens. I really find it hard to believe my wife would want to leave this place where we have lived so long and where the kids grew up.

      Delete
  6. I am sure the view is nice and all but that building reminds me of the old soviet tenement blocks. I can't imagine you'd be happy living there packed cheek to jowl with 500 other families. Seems totally contrary to what you have now. I'd think you'd be way too vulnerable having that many other folks around you. Might be fun for a short spell for some social contact but eventually I think it would get old. And then there is the whole hurricane evacuation thing. And its not like you could go out to the terrace when you got a hankering to touch off a couple hundred rounds. You'd cause a bit of a ruckus if you did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all absolutely true. But there's the fact that my wife went along with living way out in the sticks when she had already spent most of her childhood and teen years living in a remote mission station in Africa. Then there's the fact that I am having some trouble keeping things shipshape and see is afraid I'll wind up in the hospital. That already happened once when a ladder broke on me. I can't just mandate what we are going to do, it has to be something we both can live with. I think it will work out ok in the end. What I would really like is for my son to come live here full time, my wife could stay in Florida full time, and I could go between the two places. My son says no now but he might change his mind.

      Delete
  7. Harry, if you went to live in that hive you would have to buy another apartment just for all of your toys that go bang! I'ts funny you know, I live on the outskirts of Sydney but have to commute into the city to work (as I type this I am looking out the window at the Harbour Bridge and a huge cruise ship tied up at Circular Quay), but I would swap in a minute if I could move to the country!

    I still dream of buying a couple of hundred acres about 3 1/2 hours drive west of Sydney when i retire and just getting a simple shack on it so I can "go bush" whenever I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 200 acres is a lot of land. You could set up in the middle of that and nobody could ever find you if you didn't want them to. I could not have afforded a parcel that size so I got right up on the national forest instead. If I go to condo living mode I'll just have to get rid of everything unless I keep the mountain place as well.

      Delete
  8. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I like that pic of you laying down in front of the door. I done that before when I was younger thanks to whatever Beer I was drinking at the time.

    I like the beach scenes, just not enough surf there for me. Where I live we have bunches and bunches of condo's like that on the beaches.

    Hey Harry you can always move to the Texas coast, maybe Tivoli, Rockport or Victoria, Texas.
    There's also lots of cool stuff in Goliad, Texas. Lots of history there. Hell, you can be my neighbor.
    There are a lot of pissed off, old white guys in Texas and you would fit right in. We take in anyone really, don't matter what color you are as long as your pissed off and old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent one summer at Padre Island and there was nothing on it then. I guess it's all built up now. What I really need is an island to myself, like that New Zealander, Neil.

      Delete
  9. I am getting a notice when I pull up your blog, It's a pop up box that references player dot the platform dot com and says there is no PDK base . . . URL. . . requires a meta tag .. . This has displayed only over the last couple of days. I don't know if anyone else is getting it or what it means but thought I'd let you know.

    I would not move, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had anyone mention anything but that could just be because they think I know about it. Is that still happening?

      It isn't that I want to move, Kathy but my wife does. We will figure it out along the way.

      Delete
    2. Yes. Maybe it's an ad that is reaching out. It gives me the option to say OK, which I do not, or X out of it. I just thought you made a change in the last couple of days that might have a link to it.

      Delete
    3. I don't think so but sometimes when I post a video that kind of thing happens. I haven't posted one lately though til just a few minutes ago.

      Delete
  10. Harry, I can attest to the heat & hauling all that stuff up to a condo. Last year, I rented one very similar to the one in your pic, at Cresent Beach. It's nice once you get all settled but a pain to do so. Hope it doesn't get too cold for you & the wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine having to go through that drill every time you bought groceries? What if you bought something heavy or cumbersome like a new television set?

      We are supposed to have record breaking cold here this weekend. Everyone who already set out their flowers is pretty much done for. It's already getting colder and the sky is covered with thick black clouds.

      Delete
  11. That building does look like a nice place to stay. I don't know about living there. It seems like where you live - you like it to much to leave.

    I'm sure there was something outside your house to have the dogs barking. Dogs are pretty in tune with being watchful. They have better smell and hearing then we do to sense things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alissa if we had to move I'd rather go to Savannah and live at Tybee Isand. But my wife thinks that Savannah has a dreary atmosphere of age and decay. I know you lived there so you know what she means. Palm Coast is all glittery and new feeling.

      Delete
  12. Fla is a nice place to visit, but hell to live. Your guns would have you labeled a trouble maker by the HOA, but fast. 100 years from now some book worm will stumble across all the shells and write some paper on how your mountain rose from the ocean floor and he has proof, last laugh will be yours. Stay put, but visit Fla once every two years. It will take that long to recover from contact with the outside world.....big shit eating grin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I couldn't take hardly anything with me if we go there. It's two bath, two bedroom, with a kitchen,living room and a tiny little laundry room. It would be a completely different life.

      Delete