“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Save your money on this book.


I bought the Kindle edition as soon as it was available.  I enjoyed  World Made by Hand
and The Witch of Hebron, but the third book in the series is a disappointment.

Way back when I was a kid, it was common for popular authors to use ghost writers. The author would give his plot outline to the ghost writer, and then when the book was finished it would be published under the famous writers name. If I wasn't aware that the practice had gone out of vogue I would think that's what happened with this third book.

The first two were interesting and believable. This book essentially ignores the characters developed in the earlier volumes in favor of disjointed vignettes that get so convoluted you need a pencil and a legal pad to keep up with them.  The plot, such as it is, is ridiculous and unbelievable.  The new characters are poorly developed and the dialogue is infantile. I don't know what Kunstler was thinking about while he was working on this book, but it was not his storylines from the first two books. I wish I had saved my money on this one.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. I have WORLD MADE BY HAND and I enjoyed it, though sometimes, I disagreed with a few details. Still - a good read.

    I enjoyed that book you reviewed earlier, ASHFALL. I couldn't find the 1st book, so skipped directly to 2nd - now have to find the 1st one, lol.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked World Made by Hand. Having read Kunstler's "The Long Emergency" some of the details I found hard to accept, I knew to have come out of his earlier book. There's a lot in "The Long Emergency" I don't agree with but much of what he said was going to happen, has since occurred just as he predicted.

      I got both the "Journal" books as Kindle editions. They may be hard to find as paperbacks. I liked them, they seemed realistic and a fresh perspective is always nice to find.

      Delete
  2. That's too bad, I enjoyed the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I was all motivated for a good read, and it was terrible.

      Delete
  3. Well, I can't say for this book one way or another, but I do know there are still ghost writers out there. V.C Andrews still has books coming out by ghost writers and I think Mary Higgens Clark may also (but more rarely). And those are just two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know people still did that. Seems kind of unfair to the readers to me.

    ReplyDelete