“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Another big storm rolls through in the middle of the night.


A big line of thunderstorms rolled through again last night. Quite a display in the sky.  I was watching "Blue Bloods" on an Atlanta station over the satellite, and they started interrupting the programming with tornado warnings. Fortunately, all we got here was a lot of noise and lightning, followed up by torrential rain and wind.

This morning it's cooler, in the low fifties, and very blustery.  Shortly we are going into town because my wife needs to pick up a few groceries.



  The new Survivors Edge showed up in the mailbox, all beat up as usual. Why would a publisher put out an expensive magazine, and not put it in a mailer or plastic wrap?

This one had lots of gear that I'd like to have. Most of it was electronic, including a GPS system that has a satellite link enabling you to send text messages and automatic position reports from any place on earth.

There was also a piece of equipment for boaters, a pocket sized GPS system that is completely water proof and lets you send automatic position reports, text messages, and has an emergency beacon that works through satellite.  My brother spends a lot of time off the Oregon coast, out of sight of land. Might be a good Christmas present for him.  I need to repost his description of a tsunami warning fiasco he was involved in some years back, it's both informative and funny.




A new military surplus catalog from Sportsman's Guide showed up as well.  This is one of the best in years. Lots of new products, and a lot of really good deals.  You can pay something in the neighborhood of sixty dollars a year to be a member of their "buyers club." Sounds like a lot until you contrast the catalog prices with the buyers club discount, then it makes financial sense.

I'm also looking for a catalog from Cheaper than Dirt and Major Surplus and Survival.  They aren't that good about sending theirs unless you buy something pretty frequently, but you can order the catalogs on line for free, so it's more of an inconvenience than anything else. Sportsman's Guide is better about keeping you in the loop even if you don't send them an order every month.

Looking through catalogs is fun, even if you don't buy anything.






  The new BudK catalog was in the mailbox as well.  They're a great source for inexpensive knives, paracord, flashlights and similar equipment.

Their prices are very good, and the equipment they sell has always been up to snuff. Primarily, it just doesn't have the name of fancy companies attached to the goods, so people with a lot of money may turn their noses up .  But as far as I'm concerned, good enough is good enough.  If it gets the job done, I'm not worried about whether the knife maker is famous and has big full page adds in this magazine or that magazine.

BudK has things you can't find anywhere else. I once bought a replica of a Roman gladus type sword as a wall decoration from them. You just never know what will be in the catalog.




Not much else going on here in North Georgia.  No news is good news, I suppose.











25 comments:

  1. Those ferrets are too cute, are they yours? Wish we could get some of that torrential rain here,our drought has been going on too long. Thanks for your comments and support re. my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger, I think when someone is doing a herculean task, and doing it well, they deserve to be told so.

      Those two ferrets are show ferrets,and the picture is from my vast collection of ferret pictures gleaned from the internet. My two ferrets are scruffy looking, but they are happy!

      Delete
  2. North Georgia - I thought you were in Arkansas lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia. They're also called "The Smokey Mountains" because of the low clouds and mist that hang over them a lot. Sometimes people call this area the Southern end of the Appalachians, too.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear the storms skipped past you with no damage. We never experience anything quite like that here. We do get T storms with quite a bit of wind but very rarely do we get proper tornadoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky over the years and never been hit with one though they have passed closely on both sides of me. Tornadoes are common here in North Georgia, but the counties south of me get it the worst.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. So far. Sometimes I feel like it's just a matter of waiting and our number will come up.

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    I've only bought a few things from Sportsmans Guide. The discounts are good but I compare to amazon and sometimes amazon's cheaper.

    I try not to buy stuff I wont really use and throw away the money. One item I am in search of for a decent price used is a Cobra or Galaxy CB radio that I can use in the house or disconnect and move into the truck when I go on trips. That will be one of my next big purchases. I hope to find a used one in good shape locally in craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find a good base unit let me know. I have been looking for an SSB base unit for a long time, without success.

      Delete
    2. If you go with the Cobras, try and find an older model. The newer models have a cheaper circuit board made in the far East. The older ones were American made I believe.

      Delete
    3. Cobras are good radios. Most of my CB equipment was Uniden. I think they may not be around anymore. I looked all over Amazon and couldn't find a good base unit.

      Delete
    4. Hey Harry and Matt,

      (captaincrunch)

      I have been trying to find a good CB for awhile now. I have a friend that has an older, much older souped up Galaxy model that is no longer made with a 500 watt amp.

      My friend is not using this radio and I have gone as far as offering a rifle (AR-15) for the radio, antenna's etc, but he declined.

      There are radio's out there, sooner or later. I will find one.

      Delete
    5. Be careful about operating a linear amplifier from a fixed location. Mobile would be ok. I'm sure you can find the radio you want on line eventually.

      Delete
  6. We have had storms too and more to come all week. Fortunately it brought down part of that tree that was stuck way up high. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your family had a good Easter. It worked out well that the storm partially settled the widow maker problem.

      Delete
  7. We get several CTD catalogs each month, I wish they would stop sending them as we haven't ordered in over 3 years I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scan the cover with your account and address on it and email it to them. They'll stop sending them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made an order from HQ this time around, I couldn't resist. Been meaning to purchase that BOB book from Creek Stewart for a while now, offered a good excuse. Swiss canteens w/ metal cup - 3 for $15 - not bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something in their Military Surplus catalog, or their Shooters Catalog, that I wind up buying. Most of it I've used eventually although no great disasters have hit around us yet up here in the Blue Ridge. I once bought a five pack of brand new Swiss Army ponchos and those are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I got some German Army packs that were dirt cheap and are as good as our own military issues. The day may come when none of this stuff can be had for love or money, and then all my shelves will be neatly packed with Sportsmans Guide boxes full of useful items. If not, then when I croak my family can have one hell of a sale at the flea market up in North Carolina.

      Delete
    2. I think I got a similar Swiss Army poncho (sort of red flectarn pattern ?) deal as well - I think it was 3 for $15. You got a really sweet deal.

      I really like the Swiss military surplus, that stuff is well made and will last and last. Those formerly inexpensive Swiss canvas salt and pepper ruck sacks that sold for around $10 apiece around 5 years ago now go for $60 and up EACH. They are a little heavier but man oh man, are they tough. Thorny undergrowth around here eats synthetic materials pretty quickly - canvas and leather will last much longer. I've kept several, gave a couple away to my brother and nephew who also enjoy them.

      Delete
  10. Harry,

    Good to hear you both are okay after the storms rolled through your area.
    The weather people here are going way over board with predicting the storms this week in our area. They're in panic mode.

    Thanks for the information on several of the magazines, I've also ordered the BudK catalog, it's always fun to look through catalogs even if you don't order anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you and your husband will like BudK. Lots of practical and useful things for little money. I have bought a whole lot of their knives, some to use and some for barter. I've never had one break on me or let me down in any way, though I know they are not made of titanium super cosmic metal or whatever like so many of these knives that cost a couple of hundred bucks.

      It's early here for so much activity. I know you have been getting pummelled out there because even the Atlanta stations weather forecasters are always talking about Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri.

      Delete
  11. It's rainy and cool here today, and last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alissa, same here. I asked my wife if she wanted me to build a fire tonight but she said it wasn't cool enough. Still feels a bit chilly outside though. Raining now, and is supposed to rain all night. I went into the glass house where the Silkies live, and I saw that one of the big frames that hold the glass plates in the front of the glass house is leaking. I guess I can fix it with a little of that sealant they tout on tv, but it's still a pain. I won't complain too much though after reading about how dry it is in California.

      Delete