“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, May 18, 2015

Staying inside today.


 I'm afraid not much will be accomplished outside today. The humidity is astronomical, and it will be mid eighties by noon temperature wise if the Weather Channel is on target.

So I plan to take it easy. Stay in where it's cool and dry. I did not go to town this weekend, and I honestly cannot remember the last time I left the mountain. I think I'd have to go back through the blog to figure that out.  With no pressing reason to make the trip, I just haven't bothered.



There was a time when I walked my property line fairly often, but it's been awhile since I've done that. My wife is insisting that I need to go check it.  Sometimes people come on my land with four wheelers, cut down the silver maples, and then drag off the logs. They sell them to the lumber mill in North Carolina for big bucks, because that's a popular wood for furniture making, and North Carolina has lots of furniture factories. I'm not as enthusiastic about doing the boundary as I once was. It's very steep, and in this weather it would be enervating in the extreme.


The Smoky Mountains got their name because in Spring and Summer, so much water vapor stays in the air that it looks like smoke.  We're getting into that high humidity period now.


We're planning a three day trip to Tybee Island, near Savannah. We have't been in awhile, and we both enjoy the beach.  The drive is only six hours from the house, and then only if we take the back roads, which we always do. I don't like freeways and I avoid them whenever I can.

It's early in the season so maybe Tybee won't be too crowded. I look at the beach web cam every morning when I have my coffee and read the news on line. So far, it's pretty sedate.



If I don't come by your blogs to visit for a bit, and don't do any posts, it'll be because we have headed out.

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your (brief) break from your mountain retreat - but don't stay away too long... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani. We will only be gone three days once we leave. We are trying to settle who is going to watch my wife's mom with my sister in law, since they also want to make a trip. My sister in law and her husband want to go see their son in L.A. So my wife and her sister will have to sort all that out, but somebody has to stay with my mother in law, she can't be left alone anymore as she is too fragile.

      Delete
  2. It's pretty hot and humid today in my neck of the woods as well. I've done some work in the garden this morning but it's getting pretty sticky right now. Time to cool down. :)

    You live in such beautiful area, if I was you I wouldn't leave the mountain either... only for necessities... every once in a long while. :D Smoky Mountains.. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kamyria, these mountains are also called "The Blue Ridge", and "The Southern Appalachians" depending on what part of the country you are from, or even what state. I am used to them being called "The Smoky Mountains" because most people in North Georgia use that term. They are hot and humid in summer, frigid and stark in winter, wet in Spring. Fall is the best season, all the leaves are red and gold, and it's crisp but not bitterly cold.

      I figured you would work in your garden, since you like plants and all so much. My wife likes flowers and vines. She had this place looking like a park until I got chickens and they tore everything up.

      Delete
  3. I live 5 mins drive from my nearest town and I don't visit often. There is no need. Shopping is on line or at the superstore. The town is now less shops and more recreation . We have hoards of coffee shops.

    Enjoy savannah if you go. We went to Hilton head a few years ago. Talk about humid! We do not experience that in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I once flew a light plane from Jacksonville, N.C. down to Leesburg, Florida. Was headed down, got caught in bad weather, and spent 3 days sitting on the ground at Hilton Head waiting for the fog to clear. It was really nice. It was winter, so not many people were there. That would have been about 1977 or so, I'd imagine it's built up a lot since then. The beach is nice in the South, but it does get brutally hot and humid. We go to Palm Coast some times and the heat is like a hammer. Living at altitude like I do, I'm not used to that.

      My wife and I used to take the ferry from Calais to Dover and back once a year in December. I had a conference at the U.S. Embassy in London, really a boondoggle where everybody got to see friends stationed around Europe from FMFEUR (fleet marine forces europe). We would drive around and go to Andover and down around that place where Disney made the movie about smugglers in the 1700 era, was it Rhee or something like that? The coast of England always seemed so clean and bright.

      Delete
  4. The last couple of days in Louisiana the weather has been truly miserable. Yesterday we had torrential rains with thunder and lightning. Spent a night in the field soaked to the bone. Also saw a D7 G bulldozer (albeit with a less than fully competent operator) get stuck in the mud. It was buried all the way to the top of one of the tracks. That thing made a pretty good little pond. On the plus side it was warm so at least when I stripped off my wet clothes it was easy to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I don't envy you being in the field in that weather. That just adds to the misery. It has been rainy and humid here, but I just went out on the porch a minute ago and it's cooler and drier now.

      A C-130 flew over the house today at virtually tree top level. Maybe he was going on a low level navigation training mission, or maybe he was going to pop up near the ranger base and drop parachutists. They do that sometimes. Sure brought back memories, hearing those engines.

      Delete
  5. Yes, we have the boundary issues as well. We had a neighbor cut trails on our land this fall and bait deer and hunt. The game warden was notified and has been walking our land from time to time since. We also posted signs all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's infuriating. Can't the Sheriff do anything about it? Of course, maybe he can't since they don't seem to be able to stop illegal logging on private property here. If I catch people doing that to me I'll stop them. But the problem is, how do you catch them? I can't camp out in the woods all the time and I can't block the forest service gravel road they are using to get out into the national forest.

      Delete