Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sunday morning. Cool and drier.

Relative humidity and temperatures outside are way down.  Both in the mid sixty range. That's not bad at all.

I watched a movie today , based on the autobiography of a British officer who served in S.E. Asia during World War II.  He was captured by the Japanese.  I thought it was a good movie and was surprised I had never heard of it.  Only costs $9.00 on Amazon so I ordered a copy for myself.

Postscript: The last order I will ever place with Amazon. I have learned since I made it that they are joining the rush to discredit Southern culture.



Here's a synopsis of what I know about my great, great grandfather.  I have omitted some things and redacted others but it is primarily intact.










  • ID: XXX
  • Name: XXXXX , C.S.A
  • Surname: XXXX
  • Given Name: XXXXX
  • Suffix: , C.S.A
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 1 May 1835 in Appling County, Georgia
  • Death: 13 Nov 1913 in Colquitt County, Georgia
  • Burial: Nov 1913 Live Oak Prim Bapt Church Cemetery, Colquitt County, Georgia

  • Event: Private, Company B, 54th Georgia Vol Inf Reg Military Service from 28 Apr 1862 to 19 May 1865 Georgia & Tennessee




  • In the 1850 census of Appling County, XXXX XXXXX, 16 was listed in the household of Smith XXXX.

    The 1860 census shows XXXX  XXXX, 25; wife Martha, 23; Mary Jane, 2; and James, 6 months.

    The 1870 census shows XXXX, XXXXX, 35; wife Martha, 33; Jane, 11;James,9; Priscilla, 8; Margaret, 6; and Elizabeth, 3.
    _____________________________________________________________________


    According to Mary Ketus, XXX XXXXX served the Confederacy as a Private in Company B, 54th Reg, Georgia Infantry. He was on a train carrying troops from Tennessee to Columbus, GA when it wrecked in Alabama, just 6 miles from Columbus, on January 21, 1865 and his left thigh was crushed.

    Because the break and wound were not properly cared for, he was left crippled and walked with a crutch. He was given a pension by the State of Georgia. He applied for the pension in 1889 as a resident of Appling County.

    He was still a resident of Appling County in January 1906 when he granted a power of attorney for collection of the pension but in January 1907 he granted another power of attorney for collection of the pension in Colquitt County. He died on 13 Nov, 1913. He is buried in Live Oak Cemetery near Moultrie, GA in Colquitt County.

    According to the Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Georgia 1861-1865,Vol X, pg XXX, XXX XXXX  made Private April 28, 1862. He was wounded in the right eye resulting in loss of sight at Atlanta, July 22, 1864.

    His left thigh was crushed in train wreak en route from Nashville, TN to Columbus, GA on January 31, 1865.

    He was in Columbus Hospital, wounded, close of war. Paroled at Albany,GA, May 19, 1865

    XXXXX,XXXX  Private Apr 28, 1862 (Company B, 54th GA Vol Inf Reg).Wounded in right eye, resulting in loss of sight at Atlanta, GA, Jul 22,1864. Left thigh crushed in train wreck en route from Nashville, TN to Columbus, GA, Jan 31, 1865. In hospital at Columbus, GA at the close of the war, paroled at Albany, GA, May 19, 1865.

    Pension records on file at GA Dept of Archives and History show he was in Company B, 54th GA Vol Inf Reg, enlisted 1862 and discharged in 1865 with loss of the use of one leg, and loss of one eye.

    One of the men in this book served in the 54th Georgia throughout the war. So I have a good record of what the regiment did, right down to weather conditions and general camp routine. It's strange to read it and think that my great grandfather was right there, where the story in the book takes place.

    Another book with some history of the regiment is South Georgia Rebels. Out of print now I think but Amazon has copies.







    15 comments:

    1. Sounds like he had a couple of pretty rough breaks. Still just coming through that meat grinder of a war was either luck or an accomplishment.

      I heard recently that CSA KIA's were not allowed in the federal cemeteries.I guess the union Veterans said that was a step too far and whatever my complicated sentiments on that war might be I can see their point.

      It seems like the states and communities filled that gap.

      Coming back to the point it is pretty cool that you know that much about your family history.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My mothers side had a lot of officers, because they were well off. My dad's side was primarily composed of small holding farmers, and as far as I know only one of them made Corporal, the highest rank on that side of the family.

        The South dealt with the issue of final resting places by establishing Confederate cemeteries, and after the war , despite the lack of resources great efforts were made to remove soldiers from battlefield burial sites and inter them in these. There was even a special cemetery built after the war for Jewish Confederate soldiers, because their requirements for burial sites were more exacting than protestant sites.

        We have pretty good family records going back to the time that the first of our people landed in North Carolina, in 1742. There's always someone in the family who develops a passion for it and maintains the connection.

        Delete
    2. None of my ancestors were there -on either side. I seem to have a long line of ancestors who just missed being in wars -too young, too old, changed country and so on. The few who were in military service never saw combat. Maybe that's how you have descendants.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We had none on the Northern side, but from my mom and my dad's family there were a lot of Confederate soldiers. On my mom's side, there were Daniels, McKenzies, Gordons, and Lee's. (Not related to the great General Lee). On my dad's side he had many cousins and uncles who were in the Army, but most of them did not make it through the war.

        Military service goes back all the way to the Revolutionary War in my family, in an unbroken chain, until you get to my son and my nephews. None of them did military service.

        Delete
    3. Lo there do I see my father; Lo there do I see my mother, my sisters and my brothers; Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sounds like a skald reciting the sagas. It's a good passage.

        Delete
    4. I enjoyed reading about your gggfather. We must keep the memories alive because soon that's all there will be. My grandfather fought in the last battle in Ga. and at 16 was captured and sent to prison. When the guards didn't show up one day they figured the war was over and walked home to Ala. It wasn't til he applied for a pension in 1928 that he found he was listed AWOL. They didn't wait to be discharged. He got 3 mo. pension before he died. Wish I had known him. Julia

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Julia, that's an interesting bit of family history, and more than most people know about their ancestors that fought in the war. Lots of the records were destroyed during the war, or in fires at county courthouses over the years afterwards. By the end of the war the South was fielding boys as young as 12 years old, but 16 is still pretty young to be thrown into the maelstrom.

        Delete
    5. Hey Harry

      (captaincrunch)

      The story of your great grandfather is interesting.

      I hope if I find more details on my great, great grandfather that the details are interesting also.

      Its real hot and real humid here in South Texas.

      I worked on some projects in the house today. I also worked on my bug out bags since this is hurricane season. I still have to get a few more items together. I am focusing on the premise that I will have five minutes to get what I can get and get the hell out.
      A surfer friend of mine and I were talking about Tsunami's, how unlikely they are in the Gulf of Mexico. The threat is still there.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm doing some checking on the name you sent me. We'll see what I can find.

        You should have plenty of warning of a hurricane, the crux of the issue is how long do you wait to see if it's coming ashore near you before you flee.

        I never heard of a tsunami in the gulf, but just because there hasn't been one in a few hundred years doesn't mean there can't be one.

        Delete
      2. Hey Harry,

        (captaincrunch)


        With all the underwater drilling and oil production in the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder if that will cause any tectonic anomalies that in turn could cause underwater quakes and tsunami???


        Delete
      3. Hey Harry.

        (captaincrunch)

        I just read that Puerto Rico is 72 billion in debt and may default on their loans (Puerto Rico Sinking would cause Tsunami's)

        Delete
      4. Yeah, that's true. But who cares, as long as Black Jesus doesn't try to pay their debt with money extorted from tax payers.

        Delete
    6. I'm glad you enjoyed the story about my grandfather. He died only 9 years before I was born. At 16, when he went to war, he was working in a coffin factory in Salem, Ala. After the war, he and all his family went to Texas where he became the finest builder in E Texas of the "gingerbread" houses so popular at the time. Some are still standing. Yes, I'm a proud southerner. Julia

      ReplyDelete
    7. Strange how many Southern people left the South and went west. Of course, there wasn't much left to start over with in the South.

      Remember this line from "I'm a good old rebel."

      I can't take up my rifle and fight them any more,
      but I ain't got to love them, that's for certain sure.
      So I'm off for the frontier as fast as I can go.
      I'll prepare a weapon and start for Mexico.

      ReplyDelete