“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Steaming Forest. Forted up inside.

Personal Liberty - Preparedness Critics are History's Cannon Fodder


The above is a link to an interesting article.  The author is well known in survivalist circles, and has a good track record for making predictions about the future which are relatively accurate.




I've been married 33 years now ( I think) and my wife and I still have misunderstandings. She's up North, and there are some things at the kids that need to be taken care of. I asked her to handle them. She did what she thought I said to do.  I don't think that's what I said to do.  I guess I am going to have to stick to email, verbal communications over the phone are fraught with peril.







The Lightning Bugs are out in force now.  I sat out on the balcony of my apartment over the shop last night. There's a good view of the meadow.  Soon the two dogs came and sat by me. After awhile , several of the cats showed up. It was just dusk.  I noticed we were all looking across the meadow, at the entrance to the trail. It was as if we were expecting someone or something to come out of the woods there. At dawn and at dusk, this place on the mountain top looks very different than it does during the day.






I can't be everywhere on this place at once. So I have different devices to keep me apprised of what's going on around the outbuildings, on the jeep trail, and elsewhere. One of the systems I use is a VHF monitoring system. There are transmitters that just continuously broadcast the sounds from within the buildings. I have a hand held receiver that scans through these transmissions and locks on to any site that is putting out "noise."  For the last week or so, somebody has been broadcasting short, burst transmissions on that frequency.  The transmission is so powerful that  it lights up all five strength lights on the receiver, something I have never seen happen before. I can make out voices, but they sound like voices you hear on AM when the speakers are talking on a side band. It could be scrambled, there are some similarities to that. I would very much like to know who is transmitting, and why. Whoever they are, they have to be right on top of me to be putting that strong a ground wave through this forest.  I don't like mysteries. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's some law enforcement agency in the national forest, which my property borders. They could be looking for poachers, or they could be looking for drug related activities. Or, it could be military.  There is a Ranger Camp in Lumpkin County and they use the national forest for exercises.


You can never really know what's out in the woods, behind the tree line.  Not unless you go out into the woods and look.  I haven't been doing a whole lot of that lately. It's just about eleven in the morning, and the relative humidity outside is 87%. Heavy cloud cover, so it's dim in the forest, although once in awhile a little light breaks through for a second.


I went through and checked some of the rifles in one particular storage safe. Two of them had mold on the leather slings. My gun safes don't have dehumidifiers in them, but if the humidity is fifty percent in the room, which is as high as I ever let it get, that shouldn't be a problem.  One was an Israeli Mauser in 7.62 X 51, and the other was an Ishapore, same chambering. I wiped both slings down with a "leather wipe" and they are fine. 




That's part of the problem with living in this kind of climate though.  You are always checking , cleaning , repairing, fixing, and on and on.  If I lived in the desert I'd have a lot less to do. Then again, I might have water issues. I'd have to rely on isolation for security because there are few places in the desert you can't approach from multiple directions. Everything is a trade off.



19 comments:

  1. I think that's the way a lot of husband's and wives are. They just don't always see eye to eye. I'll tell my husband things, and he says, "Ok." like he hears me. Then later I ask if what I asked was done. He says he doesn't even remember me asking. I say, "You said, 'Ok.'" Then he says, "Oh you should know you have to write it down for me." I feel like he's a child at times. When I get irritated about stuff like that I just think about the fact that he cooks, and there are a lot of guys out there that do not do that.

    It seems like every year there are less and less fireflies. I remember collecting them in a jar when I was itty bitty. Now I hardly see them. I don't know if they are having problems like the bees are. I've read things about bees having problems because of the chemicals people put on their lawns. It's hard to know what the truth is sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife always says that I said something, then I don't remember having said anything like that. It isn't just old age because we've been that way our whole marriage.

      I take care of almost everything in our family but since she's up there right now there are some things like transferring a car title to my daughter that I need her to do.

      The fireflies are thick here this year. I think the heavy rain has something to do with it. I also notice that the cicadas are out in force, and some other kind of night singing insect. I haven't seen honey bees up here in a long time, and they used to buzz around and get pollen from some of the flowering trees I have on my land.

      Delete
  2. Harry,

    I've printed out the article to read while at the doctors office. You know you always have a wait even when there's a scheduled appointment (I know you've recently experienced that, lol).

    Over time, I've learned my husband isn't a mind reader (most men aren't mind readers of women). So when I say something, and he gives me that look of what the hell.....I mean what did she just say. I will stop and re-explain myself, he appreciates when I do this. Having misunderstandings is something we all have every now in then in marriage.

    Lightning bugs are great bugs, we haven't seen them in ages until just recently. The last two weeks, when it stops raining, and it's a little cooler (with no breezes) they appear. Seeing them brings many memories back to when I was a kid living up in the UP.

    I was going to say, maybe your sensor issues relate to Jade Helm but then I realized that stuff is happening in the mid to western part of the states. More than likely it's the military practicing in the wood area close by your place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry, I think Sandy hit on something. I remember a couple or 3 weeks back reading an article saying that to the left of the county you live in was a new camp in the mountains set up to track what goes on on the trails related to Jade Helm.

      I don't remember if it was the next county or 2 counties over, but if they are communicating VHF they would have to be up on top of some mountain in order to get that signal out.

      Delete
    2. I usually take a book to the doctor's office. Especially if I am having some tests done.

      My wife and I have to be really careful, because she says that I don't always understand what she is telling me. But that's because she thinks I am going to infer this and that from the general context, and I don't work that way. If she wants me to do something, she has to tell me specifically what I need to take care of. Apparently it doesn't work that way with her, since I told her exactly what to do and she went off on a tangent. Must be the difference in mail and female brains.

      I have no idea what I am hearing, but whatever the source is, it has to be really close. The forest is like a solid wall, and radio signals are attenuated in short order, not to mention I'm shielded by mountains all around. This has to be line of sight to me, which limits the locations they could be transmitting out of. They never send for more than 21 seconds , the longest I've timed yet.

      Delete
    3. It's possible. There are lots of mountain tops here that would make excellent repeater or "retrans" sites. Even way back when I was in the Marines that was a standard procedure for mountainous terrain. All of the local government nets like Fire, EMS, Sheriff, Emergency Management, Forest Service work off a single repeater on the tallest mountain in the next county.

      Delete
  3. it is best to have printed communication, it is there in black and white to reread as often as needed. i like it written down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's generally best. I could have sent an email up there and my son would have printed it. I guess that's what I'll do, or text if the message is short and my cell will work.

      Delete
  4. I want to know who's broadcasting too now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only way I can really find out is to go out in the forest when I hear them transmit and look for them. But it's a big forest, they don't transmit continually, and if it's the drug traffickers I would not want to find them after all. There's an awful lot of that activity in our forest these days.

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry.

    (captaincrunch)


    'Having a wife is like having another job.

    I had girlfriends in the past and it was work trying to keep things copasectic, so decided to 'Opt Out" you could say.....

    Hey Harry.

    On the radio thing, it could be the Jade Helm thing.

    I don't know enough about radio's and radio stuff to figure out a burst transmission on VHF or what. Is VHF 10 meter????

    I know a lot about 11 meter (CB) but I get lost on the other stuff. I guess in time I will learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VHF means very high frequency. HF is high frequency. UHF is ultra high frequency.

      I thought Jade Helm was out west. I'm not worried about our own military. I trust them. Probably it's the forest service, or the police. Maybe it is the Ranger from Camp Merrill. Who knows?

      Delete
    2. 10 meters and higher is considered HF

      Delete
  6. Dude, you gotta take care of that Israeli 98 so that its in top form for when I figure out what you'll take/trade for it..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I am dead I'll have my son get up with you and Ryan. I trust you guys to do him right. You can pick through the collection.

      Delete
  7. Interested in trading your fireflies for my mosquitoes?

    Yes? Great, shipping them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had mosquitoes yet, but now that it's been raining I am standing by.

      Delete
  8. Those man/ woman things are funny. A bit of truth on both sides.

    Those old war horses are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men definitely are from Mars, and women are from Venus. The old book spoke sooth. I am constantly amazed that my wife and I, after so many decades of marriage, still have trouble getting on the same sheet of music.

      Yeah, I like the old guns. I was sitting in the shop the other day, wondering how many other collections they've been in before mine.

      Delete