“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Do you know who made this song famous in World War 2?

This song was sung by American, German, British and who knows what other troops.  One particular woman made it a world wide phenomenon.

When I was at UNM in Albuquerque during the early 1970's, there was a pizza/beer joint at Bataan park, near the campus. It was popular with Navy and Marine reservists from the area, Air Force people from Kirtland AFB, and with soldiers from Sandia Army Post.  This song was on the juke box, and I can remember the place being packed after drill days, with the pitchers of beer passing around and people roaring out this song through the cigarette smoke.

There were a lot of military drinking songs on that machine, but this one always stuck in  my mind.







This is one of my favorite Vera Lynn songs. She had so many beautiful songs it's hard to pick favorites. "There'll Always be an England" is a good one too, but I think this is my favorite.





Kymber is completely right.  Lili Marlene was Marlene Dietrich's song.




8 comments:

  1. wasn't the original sung by the lovely Ms. Deitrich? (whose name i thought had a "T" in it but apparently not!). i don't know the song so now i have something to play for jam when he gets home from fishing. i always love blog posts that make me have to look something up...then i spend the next day or so obsessing over the topic.

    sending much love, Harry! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Kymber. That was her song, nobody did it quite like her.

      I don't know why I was thinking about that today, it just popped into my head.

      Delete
    2. meant to say that i thought her name had a "t" at the end of her name. we'll play it tonight to hear it. jam is home but it's time for supper. easy supper tonight - some yellow and green zucchini and peas all from the garden fried in a little butter with a ton of salt and pepper. simple is always delicious!

      Delete
    3. That sounds like a good supper. I had some "boil in the bag" rice and two sausages. Microwaved.

      Simple, but alas, not very delicious. Minimum clean up though.

      Delete
  2. I forgot how beautiful MD was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was stunningly beautiful. There was something hypnotic about her eyes, and she had such a sultry voice.

      Delete
  3. Years ago I found a radio station that played songs from the 40's. I used to enjoy listening to the music of an evening. So I recognize the songs you mentioned. Wish I could find another station like that. Mostly what I find now isn't music - it is just noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our sole local station plays 1940's music on Sunday afternoon. I also have the "1940's" channel on Sirius/XM so I can listen whenever I want to. The 1940's is my favorite music era.

      Delete