Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Saturday morning, sunrise in a couple of hours. Maybe.


Still blowing outside and the rain is still disrupting my Sirius/XM radio, but not as much. Maybe it's going to let up some.

The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is read the news on the web pages, and then watch Fox and Al Jazeera.

Today there's an article on dumping Moslem refugees in South Carolina. That is very close to home for me. It's also even closer for some friends of mine.

Their spelling may not be so good, but the quote is.


Here's the link to the story:  Syrian Refugees going to South Carolina?


This is from a very liberal news organization, so it's one of those "don't worry, be happy!" stories crafted to lull people's fears before the government does something really egregious, as they've been doing in Idaho.




I don't have any plans today.  I will be stripping out all the ammunition from the different guns I carry or keep around the house. I'll put it in a box for a better day though, no shooting weather expected til next week.


Beretta 92 Onyx.  I put 15 rounds in each magazine, one in the gun and two in the ammo case on the shoulder holster.  45 rounds of 9 mm Luger for the three magazines all told.

Well balanced weapon, high capacity. Doesn't rust if you sweat through the holster on this particular version with this finish.




 Walther P38. There are several of these throughout the house.  I keep seven rounds in the magazine, and one spare magazine by the weapon.

14 rounds of 9mm Luger in the two magazines.  Fits your hand like a glove, isn't heavy.  Double action.

The one I keep by the bed was made in April of 1964, making it a post war P-1 version.





Another carry gun with a Galco shoulder rig to match.   One magazine in the gun. I put 12 rounds in each mag, so three magazines in total is 36 rounds.

The High Power is nicely balanced. Double stack magazine still doesn't make the grip difficult even for smaller hands.





This Browning stays in the safe.  It's my "last day in the Marine Corps " gun.  On May 16th, 1986 I went out the gate at Camp Lejeune for the last time. Before I turned in my I.D. card that morning, I went to the base post exchange and bought one of these High Powers. It's a keepsake, more than anything else.








  
The Sig P226.  I confess, I rarely carry it anymore.  It's a heavy pistol.  It's more of a night stand gun for me now.  I keep 14 rounds in it and one magazine beside it, for 28 rounds.  

I do have a Galco Miami Classic for it, and carried it a lot when I was younger. Not so much now.







For those hot, humid days when I can't stand to wear a vest.  I use a Walther PPK in .380.

I have a little inside the belt leather holster for it. Not the most comfortable thing in the world to wear but there are days when that's all you can do.

I put six rounds of .380 in it, and don't carry a spare magazine.





Kimber Custom II.  Another gun I used to carry all  the time, but now it's too heavy. I would probably carry it if I went to Chattanooga again though.

I put seven rounds in the magazine and have two spare magazines.  The Galco Miami Classic does a good job of distributing the weight but it's still a beast.  Not too easy on the wrists these days to fire it, either.  21 rounds of .45 ACP.


 Taurus PT-92.  These are really early model Beretta 92's made on Beretta machinery in Brazil.

Cheaper than a Beretta 92, fit the same rigs, and just as reliable.  

I use mine as house guns, for the most part.

15 rounds in the magazine and one spare mag by the gun.  30 rounds of 9mm Luger.






I have other pistols but they are more guns I bought just because I could than something I really use.
I figure in the dark days I see off on the horizon, my son can use them for barter if need be.

When I shoot all this ammo out, I'll reload it.  I do most of my reloading when it's winter and there's not much else I can do. The shop is warm and quiet. I go out there, turn on the radio, and reload. I have a coffee pot going, so I don't have to run through the snow to and from the house. Reloading is a great winter pass time.

It's very satisfying, too.  I like work where I can see what has been accomplished when I am finished. I often wonder if that is why so many people like to can food.

When you finish, there are all those cans or jars and you can see the positive results of your work.

Reloading makes me feel less anxious about ammo supplies, since with enough powder, bullets and primers I can keep going for a long, long time. Brass is usually the most expensive component of a loaded round. What a shame to waste it.



As an afterthought, I should say something about holsters.  I use the Galco Miami Classic, obviously. But Galco makes all kind of rigs. They are, in my opinion, about the best you can buy. I like leather , rather than the nylon set ups you can buy.  Galco is not cheap, but your means of carrying your weapon is one place you don't want to pare the cheese. 


I just finished reading a book by a German sniper who fought on the Eastern Front in WW 2.  The war on the Eastern Front was grim, and this is a grim book. But it's a fascinating story.  Because the Germans lost the war, they don't write a lot about it and you don't hear about the achievements of their soldiers much.  For instance, Eric Hartmann who didn't even start flying operationally until 1942 and shot down 352 allied aircraft, most on the Eastern Front.



Or Hans Ulrich Rudel, the greatest attack aircraft pilot in history.  He destroyed over 500 Soviet armored vehicles on the Eastern Front, despite being seriously wounded and flying the last part of the war with only one functioning leg.






This sniper is the same way. I have read a lot about that facet of World War II, but had not heard of him until I came across this book.  Not for the faint of heart.


One of the best things about the book are the detailed descriptions of the weapons used by both sides. Allerberger started out sniping with a captured Mosin Nagant sniper variant, then went on through just about every sniping weapon issued on either side.  Worth the money even if your interest is limited to firearms.

23 comments:

  1. You really have a large assortment! You do make the reloading sound relaxing. Canning is a lot of work and I don't really find it relaxing but I do love the end result of seeing all that food in nice jars. Definitely satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reloading. You have to do it all alone with no distractions. It's a sort of ritual activity.

      It would be nice to have all that food preserved at the end of a canning session. It would be an accomplishment. I envy you and the others who do it. My wife may be retiring in December and if she is we will give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to you I keep having to put books on my want list.

    I've done some reloading in the past, but really don't have all that much time for it. It's also not a hobby that travels well. Cops kinda freak out when they see "bomb making" materials.

    Handgun collecting really isn't my thing, but I still ended up with a half dozen. Gotta have a couple carry pieces and some plinkers. More of a long gun sort of guy.

    A good buddy of mine was going through a divorce and he offered to sell me his extensive handgun collection for $25. His soon to be ex told him to sell his collection and they'd split the money. Right. Did not want to get in the middle of that. As it was the lawyers had already locked up all the property anyway.

    Now he has a safe full of handguns. Huge collection. It helps that he met his current wife when they were both on the company shooting team. He's a firearms engineer and was working for Saco Defense at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better to stay out of that kind of thing, especially when the lawyers are involved.

      I just picked up this and that over the years. When I think of collecting I think more of the items I bought from the 1890 - 1945 period when I was looking for specific pieces.

      Delete
  3. Lisa is right. Canning is work. But for me, the end result is worth it. Whenever I look at my shelves full of home canned food, I know that all of those meals will keep my family going during hard times. Plus the fact that even though I have to buy meat at the grocery, I still save a pot load of money by canning my own. The initial cost is a bit spendy, what with buying a pressure canner and jars, but it doesn't take long before the savings have paid for it all. Today I'm cooking up six ham bones. Tomorrow I will make a huge pot of ham and beans to can. Doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything you can do for yourself as opposed to paying more for commercial items is a big plus. Canning has to be one of the most useful skills a person can acquire, not least because of the versatility it gives you. And it's nice that when you want something like ham and bean soup, you can just go to the shelf and there it is, all ready.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    First I gotta say I started reading the sequel to 'One Second After' (One Year After) last night.
    Its just as good as its predecessor so far. I am on chapter 3.
    Nothing better than a really good book that I have waited on for a very long time.

    I saw that thing up above on the German sniper that started out with a Mosin Nagant Sniper. Looks impressive. You know I am a real sucker for Mosin's. Many times single women will dress provocatively to attract men. If I saw a Mosin in the hands of a single woman at the range (it would be game over for me)

    Hey Harry, I saw the Kimber Custom 2, you have. I got the TLE 2. I really don't know the difference between the two if any. The Kimber is the best shooting pistol I have.
    Its not good for carrying in my opinion (for me) too heavy. I have been meaning to write a review of that Springfield XDS .45 I have but I have yet to have the time to get back to the range and run another box of .45 auto through it.

    I can tell you guys the XDS .45 does not like Federal ball ammo. The XDS loves Winchester white box .45 auto. No problems. The XDS .45 will eat the hell out of Winchester ammo.
    Now I heard once I break in the XDS. It should eat any ammo thrown at it (we will see)

    Now my Kimber (I keep wanting to type Kymber) did eat any .45 auto ammo thrown into it. I have yet to have any issue with any ammo, ball, hollow point, whatever. No issues with the pistol ever. It has some of the same wear marks as yours Harry too.
    Harry the only thing I see that's out of place with pic of your Kimber is no Wilson Combat seven round mag poking out of the frame.

    Going back to the XDS. I was really starting to like the accuracy on it and how it functions at the range. I gotta work it some more though. The Kymber works like a Mosin, so damn reliable it's unreal' at the end of the day. If the weapon you carry is not super reliable. It could cost your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. teehee. captain - you wouldn't believe the number of "gun-totin' americans" i have met in my life who thought it was super cool that i was named after a gun!!! but i wasn't - i was named after a race horse - bahahahahah! sending love to you and harry, as always!

      and harry - i wouldn't mind getting that kimber in the mail!!!! xox

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't mind getting a Kymber in the mail either. I'll trade J a Kimber for a Kymber. :-0

      .45 weapons are not usually picky. I don't know a lot about plastic .45 pistols though, I don't think I have any. I know I don't have a .45 Glock and that would have been the only plastic fantastic pistol in that chambering I would have been likely to buy.

      Delete
    3. bahahah! that's a good one harry! but jam says that his kymber can plant and cook whereas all your kimber can do is shoot - he ain't having any of it - bahahahah! but i'll still take that kimber off yer hands. and the p walther too. you know, good friends and all - bahahahah!

      and get those kids closer to home! i read about the incident with your daughter and her friend...sorry, i am only catching up on blog posts in the last day or so. i am soooo sorry that your daughter had that experience...it must have been so scary...but i am sooo glad that she was with a young man who had a head on his shoulders and got her to safety quickly. i have never experienced anything like that but this past year, reading stories on the internet - it is absolutely shocking! this is only going to get worse..and your kids need to be somewhere safe. there are some jobs on the mainland of nova scotia (my province)...if you want me to find a decent lawyer there, let me know.

      sending much love, as always, Harry! your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
    4. I know you are overwhelmed up there, no worries. Too bad J wouldn't trade his Kymber for mine, but I don't blame him.

      My daughter just got a nice promotion at work, and I'm trying to convince her to take advantage of an opportunity to move to Asheville, N.C. her company offered. But I sure appreciate your offer, and I know you mean it.

      I want to get them out of the Northern city they live in. It has a long history of racial outbreaks around the 13% neighborhoods and I don't want them to be there if it happens again.

      Delete
    5. harry - i think you left out the part about sending me your kimber and p walther - but no worries buddy - i know that you meant to mention sending them!!!

      as for the kids - i mean it. you need us - you yell! we'll do whatever it takes including sponsoring them. i hope that they will move to ashville - i know how much that will mean to you and your wife for them to be closer and out of the city.

      now back to mailing me that kimber - teeeheeehee! and where the heck is captain crunch through all of this???sending much love harry, as always! xoxoxo

      Delete
    6. I think the Canadians might haul you off to Gulag if you start getting weapons in the mail! ;-)

      I know if I need to send the kids up there you would take them. If something happens and they can't move south back home, that's where I would tell them to go.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh the Beretta! Refined and elegant, like an Italian suit. I almost bought one last month except their safety is opposite to what I already own and that would be confusing in a shoot out. Notice how the muslim invaders are headed to conservative places? We are being overrun with people that want to fundamentally change our country. I fear they already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tewshooz

      (captaincrunch)

      "Notice how the muslim invaders are headed to conservative places? We are being overrun with people that want to fundamentally change our country. I fear they already have"

      'like I said previously.

      Its game over......

      they have already won.

      The best thing for anyone to do now is 'circle the wagons' batten down the hatches' and remove yourself from any area's where Goblins are in great numbers. Move to area's filled with working class, lower middle class like minded people even if one is rich. It would be best I think to blend in living in a so, so house (that might be all fixed up inside) but on the outside it looks almost in 'not so good' condition.
      People living in Mcmansions and driving nice or higher dollar cars and trucks will be targeted.

      I heard back during the depression. Some wealthy individual in New York city had a Bugatti. He had the body of the Bugatti removed and stored. He had the body of a Pick up truck mounted on to the chassis and drove his pick up truck around without fear of being mugged, attacked by hungry mobs of hobo's from Hoovervilles.

      Delete
    2. There has been considerable comment in the conservative press that these immigrants from Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangla Desh, Southeast Asia, and Africa are all being dumped in rural conservative areas where Hispanics have not penetrated in large numbers. No one thinks this is a coincidence. What easier way to change a red state to a blue state than to fill it with more alms takers who specifically came to the West looking for easy street and handouts. More Democratic voters, and it's a certainly they will be voting, citizens or not. When Georgia tried to enact a voter registration law that would have prevented illegals/ non citizens from voting, Holder's justice department struck it down. As a hold over from the Civil War, voting registration or redistricting legislation in the states of the former Confederacy have to be reviewed and approved by the Justice Department. No other states are subject to Nanny State in this regard.

      Delete
    3. The Beretta is a nice pistol, and well made. I have plenty of good quality mags for mine, so I am all set should things go sour. I just wish the mags were interchangeable on the Beretta 92 and the Taurus 92, but alas they are not.

      Delete
  6. Well, we already live in that kind of area on acreage behind locked gates. Everybody drives pick up trucks here and totally armed. We are on the western edge of the American Redoubt. We are aware and ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Redoubt is a prime target for "placing" the 100,000 "immigrants" we are supposed to relieve Europe of in 2016. I wonder if any of them will wind up in your neighborhood? So far, South Carolina is as close as they are to me.

      Delete
    2. My neighborhood is all large cattle ranches . Actually they are placing the muzzies in places like Boise and Coeur D', all liberal Democrat hangouts with liberal mayors. This is total redneck country and the first time an illegal rapes or kills one of us they will be dead meat.






      Delete
    3. I think if they start putting Muslims in here things will get nasty fast. Georgia lost a lot of people in the Sand Wars, and especially in the countryside nobody wants anything to do with Moslems, no matter who they are or where they came from. The Pakistanis that moved into North Georgia and bought up the motels and convenience stores are already a stink the nostrils of society up here. The last thing we need is more of those.

      Delete
  7. I am of the belief that the "hidden hand" government made a decision. I just cannot accept that every needy central and south american all at once just decided to "migrate" to America. I cannot accept that every Moslim "refugee" (hah!) just up and decided to head for Germany, Briton, and Sweden all on the same daggone day. This is orchestrated, and a deliberate plan to over run the Western, generally white civilizations... (Australia also.)
    Folks need to wake up to this and resist it by any means. Right now the means are still political, but they will not be so forever. But we had best win.
    But Someone is behind this "movement".... that you can be sure of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I would not have thought that was the case, but now I do believe someone is doing more social engineering from the room behind the curtains. I know that Musims have a religious duty to move into non Muslim areas and absorb them, but someone had to start this show on the road, as you say. The Europeans made a horrible mistake by letting the first one's across. If they had stopped the boats at sea and forced them back to Africa, if they had helped the Hungarians and Balkan states instead of trying to put pressure on them to let people in, they wouldn't be in the really bad position they are in now.

      Delete