Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Catching up on my reading. Storm coming (another one.)


 Another storm is coming .  It's been just one after the other this Fall. If this weather is any indication of what winter will be , it's going to be rough.

I got the sled out yesterday and gave it a good going over. I may be hauling supplies up the mountain on it again this winter. Sometimes, if the snow or ice comes and then it doesn't warm up, you can be up here for weeks. Three weeks without leaving the mountain top after an ice storm is my record.

Winter storms mean a lot of work.



 Sometimes we can get up the old forest service road to the gate. Then it's not so bad.  But if the storm is bad enough, we can't get up that far. The cure is to park a vehicle down on the hard surface road before the storm. Then, you get into town when the roads are plowed and get what you need. It's a 3 mile jaunt back to the house towing the sled, much of it uphill.  I don't do it unless I have to.

Winter is coming.


This storm is rain and wind. More trees down, no doubt. But the one's you really have to worry about are the big snow and ice storms. Then you lose power. I went out to fire up the generator this morning, just to run it on a dummy load. The battery is dead. Since it fired up ok last month, either the battery has gone bad, or I need new connecting wires.One of the one's I have on there needs to be replaced. It's on the list of things to do.






This is the magazine on Big Foot I mentioned in an earlier post.  It's one of a series Newsweek has put out on everything from Off Grid Living to rock bands. They cost $10.00 but they're very well done and the photography is excellent. It's an interesting subject.

Once upon a time (twenty years ago) I bought every issue of Handloader.   It was good, basic information. What new powders and bullets were out, useful load information on common cartridges, and interesting advertisements.

But over the years, it morphed into a sort of forum for wildcat cartridges. A wildcat cartridge is one that some guy invents out in his barn or workshop, then convinces a gun manufacturer to make a gun to fit it.

Some of them take off and become common cartridges used by many. Most of them don't. I knew a fellow who worked one up, the .45 Rowland, and I guess it's still around but it never took off. Unless the new cartridge fills a need some other cartridge isn't already chambered for, it's going to become an obscure part of handloading history.

This month I bought the magazine because it has a interesting article on low power loads for old military rifles. Full powered loads for those rifles were intended to give you killing power out to 900 yards. The trade off is brutal recoil.  The rifles were designed for young men in their prime, not older shooters. I might give some of these loads a try, although from reading the article it's really more trouble than it's worth.


This reloading annual comes out every December. I have them going back for many years.  It's a worthwhile magazine for keeping you up to speed on new products and procedures in the reloading area.

If you keep them in chronological order, it's also a fine reference for past years.  I've gone back and ordered something I saw in this magazine years later, when I developed a need for it.

I like just browsing through the magazine and seeing what new equipment is out there. Particularly with the old cartridges I reload for, it's nice to have a complete set of gauge and dedicated tools for the particular round, but often you will be missing a component because no one has produced it yet. It's always a joy to find that at last someone has turned out the very piece you've been yearning for. I'm always seeing useful bits and pieces in this publication.







I got the new Military Surplus magazine, and this is a particularly interesting issue.  It focuses primarily on Cold War era weapons. There's a well written article on Century International Arms new Cetme based G-3.  I own both a Cetme and a G3  from the early 1990's.  Mine are excellent shooters once you get used to having the charging handle up on the front of the weapon.  I have both Cetme mags and G3 mags, but this new version appears to have been built for G3 mags only. Those are cheap and easy to find, while original Cetme mags are pretty rare now.   There's a good article in here on the Makarov and also on the Star B. I own several Makarovs, and  I've always wanted a Star B. I never bought one, but now a bunch of nice guns have just come into the country at a reasonable price so I am going to buy one or two. AIM has the best I have seen recently, in terms of condition and price.



  December's Emergency Essentials catalog is out.

They're a very useful company for bulk food, freeze dried food, and all the little bits and pieces that I can't seem to find anywhere else. For instance, I've bought the special wrenches you need to open food storage pails from them. Also got  number ten can lids, and all manner of small but necessary items that are not exciting but are in the"for want of a nail" category.  Their prices are good, the products as advertised.

If you need some things for your larder, such as freeze dried meats, fruits, etc this is a good place to shop. They have a wide variety, in different sized containers, and the prices are reasonable.












I took my G1898 Mauser out yesterday and did some shooting with Turkish 8mm Mauser ammo. I wore my old shooting jacket so the recoil wasn't as punishing at it might have been, though the Turkish ammo is hot.

It came into the country in the early 1990's, You got the full case of 1200 rounds (wooden case). The wooden case held spam cans, and they had the ammo in cloth bandoleers, on stripper clips. That was a great buy and I got four cases, as I remember. Cost was about $100 a case at the time. I probably should look up the actual price and numbers of cases I got, on my spreadsheets to be accurate, but that's a good ball park figure and I'm not feeling very energetic today.






28 comments:

  1. I still find a lot of interesting reading in the Handloader Magazine even if is not something I am loading for. As I have only been handloading for less than 10 years I still learn something from all the articles. There may be a time when it all gets old, but for now it still holds my interest. For soft recoil loads look at the IMR Trailboss powder, its a fairly new product for the cowboy action shooting group and it is a great powder for low recoil loads for old guns or old shooters as the case may be. I got a couple pounds of it. It is a high volume/low density powder and basically you really can't mess it up. Even loading a case full up, just short of compression it will be way below standard pressures for that caliber. It may be just the ticket for your old rifles.
    On a related note I recently came across a youtube channel called C&Rsenal where they review WW1 and earlier firearms, their, history, context and how they came about. Its all geeky gun stuff for the aficionado, but I think you'll find some interesting material. They even have a nice lady shooing the guns. Here it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClq1dvO44aNovUUy0SiSDOQ/videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot about the Trail Boss powder. Haven't experimented with it yet but it sounds quite useful.
      That link sounds outstanding. I belong to a number of surplusfirearms forums but have never seen that one. The internet is a big place though. Thanks for the heads up on it.

      Delete
    2. If you haven't seen it already the other really neat blog on old and unusual firearms is Ian McColum's http://www.forgottenweapons.com/
      He also has a couple of Youtube channels
      https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons
      and In Range TV
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeUNM9NqJqZXfRNeuW4_2sg

      Delete
    3. I'm familiar with that one. I think it was you who originally recommended it to me but I might be wrong. It may have been Troy. Good source either way.

      Delete
  2. I used to keep a chainsaw in the back of the truck, just so I could "cut my way home."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to keep a chain saw in the truck but you can't do that anymore. The Hispanics will just break the truck window, and take everything that isn't nailed down. Then they sell the swag at the Mexican flea market in Pendergrass Georgia the next weekend.

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    Im not as skittish as I was with the Mosin since I got that muzzle break. It was such a big reduction in recoil that I dare say it has less recoil than the M1A with the Smith Enterprises muzzle break.
    I think muzzle breaks are the key to using high power standard loads and not getting beat up.

    I'm still skeptical about the existence of Bigfoot. When some hunter drops one with a Remington deer rifle and like the Celocanth fish being caught in the net off the coast of Madagascar, then I will have scientific proof.
    Until then, the scientist in me needs more concrete proof. I know I am deverging but I am a complete disbeliever in Climate Change due to greenhouse gases. Air pollution is a scientific fact, however everyone that is pushing climate change has a product or service to sell and money to be made, that along with climate gate in Great Britain some years ago and other controversies leads me to believe that Climate Change is a hoax perpetuated to sell the latest billion dollar snake oil to save the planet.
    One final thought, I read an article about how we will go into a global cooling trend starting about 2030 when our Sun starts going into its normal cooling phase. The Sun is the biggest factor in regulating temperature and has been for billions of years.
    I know I went off on a tangent there Harry, but there are so many sheep in our country that will just believe whatever "expert" has to offer and will not think for themselves its pathetic.

    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    Socrates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind. You can talk about whatever you feel like here. Don't forget you can do guest posts too. Just e-mail me your text in Word format along with any pictures as jpeg files and I'll post your stuff.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    Here's one for you that I think you will enjoy.

    http://i1.wp.com/knuckledraggin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/a1.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=630%2C600

    Its a pic of some small island in the artic that is claimed by both Canada and Denmark.
    Periodically one country will show up and take the other countries flag and leave a bottle of Danish Snapps or Canadian Whiskey and their own flag.

    Im glad to see that some rivalries are still civilized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a look at that, sounds interesting.

      Delete
  5. You sure have been hit with more than your fair share of storms lately, haven't you! We here in the north have pretty much dodged the bullet this past summer and fall, but a storm is on our radar for Monday and Tuesday. Looks like my area is on the northern edge, so I am hoping it will slide on past us. Nonetheless, I'm charging up the Kindle and digging out the wool socks. And I have plenty of coffee, so I'm good to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the worst of it misses you. We don't actually need anymore rain or wind here either.

      Delete
  6. Harry,

    You may need that generator with this storm.
    We had the storm, plenty of rain, and ice. We lost power 4 times, and it only lasted for a minute or so each time. Plenty of tree damage from all the ice.
    Stay warm and safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice is the absolute worst. I'm glad it wasn't too bad out your way. Here (Sunday afternoon about 4:30) it's just raining , steady but not too hard, and not too cold. We are staying inside by the fire.

      If worse comes to worse I can always jump the generator off the truck now that the truck is running. I think it just needs a new battery.

      Delete
  7. I'm keeping an eye on the weather for my trip back south. We have more leeway in our schedule and won't push it like our trip north. Our roads are weird enough on a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd take it easy. They have been showing the roads as the storm passed through west of us and there have been some bad wrecks. I sometimes think there is less danger from the actual weather than from people who get out in bad weather and drive recklessly. They can take you with them.

      Delete
  8. I used to buy from Emergency Essentials, but it's been awhile. I should get a new catalog. Winter is indeed on the way! Stay safe and warm Harry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dec catalog is a good one. I hope things are not too rough when this storm passes through down your way.

      Delete
  9. I'm going to order the Emergency Essentials catalog. I ordered once from them a few years ago but not food. I want to take a look at some longer term storage items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The catalog is free and they always have useful things in them. Not just the food but the equipment.

      Delete
  10. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I sent you an e-mail an e-mail on something that's worth checking out on western rifle shooters assn. blog.

    this one's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a look at that here in a second. Thanks for sending it.

      Delete
  11. I recently bought "a whole lot" of Turkish surplus .30-06 for my Garand.

    I bought a small amount at first to see how well it shot, and then ordered more.

    M1's are a bit picky about the ammo, and since this stuff shoots great, I stocked up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to find 30 06 surplus. Rare these days. Even better to find it from a country that used the M1, so you know it was loaded for the M1 and can't break your operating rod.

      I don't have a lot of 30 06 stashed away. Maybe 1200 rounds of Lake City, another 1000 rounds of Greek, perhaps 900 rounds of Pakistani on M1 clips. I do have beau coup bullets, plenty of powder and plenty of brass. But when I think about it, I only have two Springfields, two Garands, an Enfield M1917 and some sporting rifles I inherited that use the 30 06. Far and away I mostly use 8mm Mauser and 7.62X39 in my rifles.

      You are absolutely right, when something hits the market that you need, buy all you can afford. He who hesitates is lost.

      Delete
  12. And although I bought it from several different places, it's all the same.

    AND it wasn't loose ammo, it came 8 rounds to the clip.

    Spent most of a day taking them all out of the clips, cleaning the rounds and clips, and putting all the rounds back in the clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you're good if it came in clips. I have bought loose ammo in the past and I think a buyer is taking an extra risk with that. If it has been sitting in a non climate controlled warehouse for fifty years, corrosion is a worry. I have some British .303 from Pakistan that I cleaned with steel wool because of that.

      Delete
    2. None of it was green or corroded, it just needed to be wiped down.

      I'm sure it would have fed and fired just fine the way I received it, but I wanted to inspect each round "just because".

      Delete
    3. I understand that. Half the fun of owning firearms is taking care of them and their accouterments. Sometimes just sitting and looking at them is a relaxing pass time.

      Delete