Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Friday, November 13, 2015

Dual Survival Marathon


There's a Dual Survival Marathon going on today.  I am taping most of it but have watched a few episodes.

The first two seasons were pretty good. The show paired up Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury.  Lundin is a well known survival instructor who runs his own school in Arizona, and has published several excellent books. He has some quirks, such as never wearing shoes, but he knows his business and in this day of cookie cutter tv stars, it was nice to have someone with a personality.  His partner, Dave Canterbury, was a vet who left the service (Army) some years back and started a primitive living school and magazine.



They made a pretty good match.  Cody Lundin is known for being aggressive and quick to anger. Canterbury was calmer but bull headed. There was a lot of bickering on the show, which could be aggravating, but overall it was worth watching. Since it largely dealt with survival techniques in the field, I watched it more for entertainment than as a serious learning exercise. Bugging Out is no part of my planning. But for those who did a lot of camping or did plan to bug out, it was well worthwhile.

Then after a couple of seasons, there was a big scandal when some tabloid press started putting out a story that Canterbury had exaggerated his military record. In fact,  while he did say he worked with special forces, which he certainly did, he hadn't gone through the school or received the MOS (military occupational specialty.) It was a tempest in a teapot, but Canterbury either resigned or was given the boot, depending on who you believe.

Then Discovery Channel brought in Joe Teti, a guy with a long special ops history and an attitude.


Teti and Lundin were earth and water right from the start.  Teti has a good special operations record, but that doesn't make him an automatic survivalist.  There are some parallels in skills, but it's not the same. The show had always been Lundins, from the get go, and Teti set himself to upstage Cody Lundin. During the third season, their relationship worsened, and Lundin began to clash with the producers and with Teti.  Finally there was the famous incident where Cody Lundin threw all of their survival gear in a pond and told the producers to "f *** off."  Shortly thereafter, the producers decided to replace Lundin.  By then he had experienced just about enough of "tv" and was apparently genuinely glad to go.


To replace Cody Lundin, the producers brought in Matt Graham.  This guy is a primitive living instructor, i.e. if you want to be a cave man he can tell you all about it.  I saw one episode and quit watching the program.

I watched a couple today though, and I think I made a mistake. For one thing, Graham actually does know his stuff and I was impressed with some of his techniques. Also, he has a positive attitude and never whines or complains. He gets along well with Teti because he takes a back seat and lets Joe Teti pretty much run the show.  I enjoyed the two I saw.  I think I will watch the rest of them, and if they are as good as these were today, I'll start watching again. I'll also pick up the rest of the series on DVD, as I quit buying them for my survival library once Lundin left.


The new American Survival Guide is out.  If you are willing to spend the money for "speciality knives" and I'm not, you will want to pick this one up.  There was a really nice bug out vehicle highlighted in this one, purpose built out of an old Land Rover. It's a beautiful vehicle. I don't have the money to build one, and I don't need one, but it's like looking at a vintage aircraft, it's still fun.

Group Survival is a big topic in all the magazines now, and American Survival Guide is no exception. They have an article on that in this months issue.  Lots of these articles in the different magazines rely heavily on military publications focusing on leadership, but I guess that's ok. There are enough similarities between the military and survival life to lend credence to the use of military manuals as a resource. I suppose that's why you can get just about all of the unclassified ones on CD.

Warm and windy here today.  Just before 1 a.m. it's still 53 degrees outside. This is mid November, and I think we have only had about three frosts so far.  Not normal at all.


14 comments:

  1. We used to watch that show when Cody was on it. Then we gave our satellite network the boot and never looked back. I think we got your frosts. It was 17 here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am of two minds on the satellite tv. It's expensive, and there's really not much on that's worth watching. I do have some shows I enjoy though, and I like having access to television when something happens in the outside world that might impact me.

      The wind is still howling here. I'm running the indoor heat today just because I'm tired of feeling chilly.

      Delete
  2. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    On the dual survival show thing. I have been watching youtube video's on Dave Canterbury survival school. He seems to know his stuff on the video's. Im getting more out of youtube than tv on learning things. No producers stirring up trouble and stuff like that. Dave Canterbury has what looks like very decent 'Hard Tack' he makes in one video.
    The one youtube channel I enjoy the most is Nomadic Fanatic (the guy living and traveling in a fixed up 1986 RV)
    He's more of an individualist but he keeps his youtube channel positive, fun, educational about traveling and he's making enough money off of youtube to make a living which is impressive in itself.
    Now this is where a kinda survival thing comes in play with the RV world. Supposed the economy goes belly up like anther 1929. Someone who was watching this show on youtube has some knowledge to buy a used RV for $5000. Fix it up and know how to 'boondock' and stay mobile and avoid tent cities (Hoovervilles and Obamavilles) and try to stay warm and dry in the winter and cool in the summer.
    There are lots and lots of stuff on youtube that is vastly better than traditional television. Vice News is one that is leftist leaning news but more vibrant than 60 minutes or anything mainstream.
    Vice News is producing a video on the gangs of El Salvador. As I understand it in San Salvador, El Salvador gangs kill about 28 people a day. The main gangs are 18th Street and MS-13 which are over here now so I am looking forward to that video so I can learn more on them and what will happen over here in time.

    On the weather thing, yeah it will be a warm and wet El Nino winter. Much of the rain Harry in Texas will work its way in your direction much of the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet lets you focus in what you are interested in. It's a big asset. I like the television more for the comfort of watching a show like "Dead End Deliveries" in the comfort of my living room.

      The weather is supposed to be warmer and wetter according to the weather channel, as you say. Warmer is ok, but wetter I could do without.

      Delete
  3. Sounds a good show. I've been rewatching all the early Ray Mears lately and really enjoying it, I'd forgotten how good they were and for survival for the average person they're ideal with tips that could save your lfe very easily. He has some great books as well dealing with bushcraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev, I have heard a lot about Ray Mears from British friends but have never seen any of his shows. I think perhaps they are not carried by any stations here. He must be a big hit over there though. I'll see if I can find any of his work on the internet.

      Delete
    2. There's lots on Youtube, some of the best are where he goes and stays with the people of that area
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QosNCLbBA
      There is loads though.
      Not sure if I've mentioned Bruce Parry before to you, he lives with tribes for a month or more and it's just a really interesting programme, not really a prepping programme though.

      Delete
    3. I will check the videos out. I don't have very good internet up here on the mountain so it can take me a long time to download a video. On the other hand, it's not like I have a lot to do right now though.

      Delete
  4. This is another good series of his, four parts about hwo the American Wild west was won
    Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glAKMA6Q_cY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that, Kev. I'll take a look. My dad was tremendously interested in the old west, and I use to read some of his books. It's a subject I enjoy learning about.

      Delete
  5. It seems like reality shows always have some kind of scandal in there. At least with this one they have to survive with each other. So what if one fibbed about his record? I know he should have told the truth. The show should have looked into his record prior to having him on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canterbury is a good guy. I'm not so sure that what he said wasn't just misinterpreted on purpose by the tabloid, but whatever the case it was enough to get him kicked off the show. Cody Lundin didn't like him and was pretty ugly about it when it happened, instead of sticking up for him, which kind of surprised me.

      Delete
  6. I only saw the first two seasons. But I really enjoyed those.
    We have only had one frost. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather here has been very strange as well.

      Seasons three and four don't appear to be available on DVD. Just tried to find them on the Discovery Channel store page and they were not offered.

      Delete