Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Odysseus has opened the bag of Aeolus.


Still dark out but getting lighter.  The wind is howling. My flags are standing straight out from the pole when the wind gusts. There won't be any leaves left on the trees after this, which is just as well.  This wind will take most of them off the roofs of the buildings, which is a boon to me. Cedar shakes and wet leaves are a bad mix.

I had thought, since it was warmer out than I had anticipated, I might sit out on the porch for awhile but I guess not. I'll wait for it to get to a calmer level.

Nothing planned for today.  I'll stay inside out of the blast, read a bit, and maybe watch some DVD's. I need to do some light cleaning of racked weapons but I don't really feel motivated so it can wait a bit.

Maybe I'll take the truck down to the mailbox later today. I am expecting some books, and I'm not walking down there and back for awhile. That might be the highlight of the day.


This is why you need a dog. One of the best episodes of Miami Vice, but the segment before the theme music is the instructive part. Sorry about the advertisement at the start, can't get rid of it. Below is a link to an actual event, written by a friend of mine. I am very glad she had a good dog at the house. It's the post from Monday, Nov 9th,  that you will find both useful and a bit unnerving.

What happened at Lisa's farm.


8 comments:

  1. Yep. May have to rethink my decision about not getting another dog. Especially considering that I live close to Crazyville. My little ankle-biter Yorkies couldn't stop anyone, but they were really good at letting me know if someone was outside my door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have motion sensors, wire, security cameras and the old WW2 standby, marbles in tin cans strung on wires, all over the place outside. But it's the dogs being there that gives me peace of mind at night. I don't need my dogs to fight, just wake me up and let me arm myself. I'll handle it after that.

      Delete
  2. My little beagle mix always lets me know if something is out of the ordinary. I always check it out because sometimes the blood covered weirdo really is at your door -or the tax assessor. There are lot of horrors out there.

    Usually it's just bears nosing around. They don't like barking dogs much either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all my years of living here, I have only had a few incidents where individuals wound up at my place who shouldn't have been there. The further out you are, the more that tends to be the case. Having the dogs just gives me one more layer of security, and more peace of mind. There are indeed, a lot of horrors out there. I like knowing the bears are meandering around as well, since I sometimes go out after dark for this or that and wouldn't want to bump into one.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention. I have been considering adding a second dog. I'm keeping an eye out on the local rescue sites for the right one. Bo has been even more protective since that happened. He has really stepped up his game since then. I'm sure it shook him up a bit.
    Enjoy your trip to the mailbox. Ours didn't even come yesterday. That happens sometimes out in the country. I was going to work this afternoon and was in town to pick up my client but got a call from the school nurse that one of my boys had spiked a fever so I ended up going to pick him up and bring him home instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A working mom never knows, from one minute to the next, what she'll be doing . Especially one that lives way out in the woods.

      Hope all is well with your son.

      My dogs have always just showed up here and settled in. I've been fortunate in never having one that didn't "fit."

      Delete
  4. lisa,
    i just learned from a vet about not too much fat [bacon] for dog. it can cause pancreatitis. i didn't know! i don't know about the bacon so maybe look it up.
    just a thought.
    deb h.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always give mine bacon grease. Maybe it does cause them health problems, I don't know. "Red Eye " gravy is still common here and it's just bacon grease with flour mixed in. I try not to eat it but I do sometimes, especially if I have breakfast at the cafe in town.

      Delete